Fax about Mail Situation

I am sending this fax to Andrew Simpkin, and a similar one to Richard Adams at the Guangzhou Consulate. I don't mind if you cut and paste.

Andrew Simpkin

Consular Affairs

1-202-647-0341

(this is the general CA fax number, and not a private line; it is the same fax number used to reach Maura Harty or Kathryn Cabral)

Richard Adams

Chief of the Immigrant Visa Section

U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou, China

011-86-20-8121-9001

Dear Mr. Simpkin:

I am concerned by reports that the Guangzhou Consulate is sending visa notification letters through regular mail. Mail sent in this way is often lost or delayed, and it cannot be tracked. To illustrate the unreliability of this system, let me take my husband’s local office as an example. My husband lives in a farming village. Mail takes two days to reach a nearby town from the closest city. From there, a kid rides a bike for 20 minutes to my husband’s house. Sometimes, to save the effort, the kid passes the mail off to a villager. Surely this is not an acceptable way to send such important information.

To this picture, add the fact that it is currently impossible to speak with the Guangzhou Information Team. My husband has been calling daily for over a week. And even if he were to get through, it is unlikely that the computer would show any updates on his case status. Thus, we also have no way of tracking his case. The letter might be mailed and lost, and we would attribute the delay to an extended processing time.

I do not want to make this process any more complicated than it already is, but another method for contacting visa applicants needs to be implemented. The Chinese Express Mail Service or email are both possible options. I would be happy to pay for EMS.

I am sending a similar letter to Richard Adams in Guangzhou. I hope that you will support us as you have done in the past. I do appreciate your continued efforts on our behalf.

Thank you,

XXX

Yes, I like that. Our concern and request stated simply without a direct attack. After all they are people too; we don't want to make them mad - and A. S. does seem to be on our side. We just keep bothering them, and we have so many demands, don't we? :rolleyes:

Then the answer is, "Send us our visas and we will leave you alone." B)

Guest janean2

ana, there is one girl who posted on 001 that she got an regular mail to ask her pick up her visa after she handled a new notorized non criminal certificate because last one was expeired. some girls on 001 called GZ and all got confirmation that GZ were going to send notice by EMS. I tried to call GZ but failed to get through.

Ana,

Thanks for sending the great letter. I sure would like to start seening more than one or two letters being received each day. My Senators office wants me to notify them if Ella has not received her notification within 2 weeks after GZ received it and it is getting very close. I am about ready to starting to make more phone calls and writhing more letters soon if things don't start to pick up. Also I am going to call DOS tommrow and make sure even though I was told clearence was cabled to GZ that it was not resubmitted again by mistake.

Tine & Ella

Indianapolis & Shanghai