China's one child policy...

Just thinking aloud, I wonder if the one-child policy will lead to more sino-american relationships such as we have here. I know we have a growing number of American women who have chosen a Chinese husband.

With the one child policy 20+ years old, it means there is starting to be a noticable imbalance in the number of males to females. I wonder if there won't be a point where Chinese men will actively seek out foreign brides. There simply won't be enough single women for them to marry.

(yes, I watched yet another documentary - lol)

Merc

Interesting topic...my former SO's exhusband tried to force her to abort, when he learned that she was carrying a female. Her mother rescued her from the hospital before they induced the abortion and she carried her daughter to term. However, her husband divorced her to marry another and to try for a son with his new wife.

From what I have been told by her and her family, many young men today are an only child and, as a result of the one-child-per-family law, they are the sole survivor of their family and must have a son to carry on the family name.

Another consequence is there seem to be an abundance of single mothers in China. And, if a man is seeking a wife to bare him a child, these women are not desired.

I have also been told that, if a family have enough money, they can pay the government to have more than one child.

I can't confirm that all that I have been told is truth; however, if it is anywhere close to it, one can certainly see the long-term consequences.

Just thinking aloud, I wonder if the one-child policy will lead to more sino-american relationships such as we have here.  I know we have a growing number of American women who have chosen a Chinese husband.

With the one child policy 20+ years old, it means there is starting to be a noticable imbalance in the number of males to females.  I wonder if there won't be a point where Chinese men will actively seek out foreign brides.  There simply won't be enough single women for them to marry.

(yes, I watched yet another documentary - lol)

Merc

169244[/snapback]

They are already doing this. I registered my marriage in Chendu, There were 5 foreign men in there who were Non-US, who were marrying and taking Chinese brides out of country.

Sad state of affairs though. The dowrys in their particular countries is such, that the women in their own countries wouldn't marry them. The applicants I saw were choosing a cheaper alternative (No insullt Intended) In short they were marrying the women to work on the farm, for a payment to the Chinese family. SO and I talked to the interpeter a very amiable man. He told us what was going on. He also mentioned that the women there weren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. Generally took 2 hours to fill out a simple registration slip that usuallly takes 15 minutes. So obviously, the education level of the ladies was much lower than the norm.

Try googling, Shanghaiexpat, Beijingexpat and finally Chinadaily. There are many Cinese genders both male and female who have ads there. These people are more affluent and educated. This trend has been ongoing for 3 to 4 years. Don't worry there are plenty of women to go around.

This documentary just picked up this trend? :ph34r: Must be ratings week again. I always lose track of time!

Interesting topic...my former SO's exhusband tried to force her to abort, when he learned that she was carrying a female.  Her mother rescued her from the hospital before they induced the abortion and she carried her daughter to term.  However, her husband divorced her to marry another and to try for a son with his new wife.

From what I have been told by her and her family, many young men today are an only child and, as a result of the one-child-per-family law, they are the sole survivor of their family and must have a son to carry on the family name.

Another consequence is there seem to be an abundance of single mothers in China.  And, if a man is seeking a wife to bare him a child, these women are not desired.

I have also been told that, if a family have enough money, they can pay the government to have more than one child.

I can't confirm that all that I have been told is truth; however, if it is anywhere close to it, one can certainly see the long-term consequences.

169257[/snapback]

Dennis,

Several things that you mentioned are truth.

1) China does have a one-child policy. Facts are that in the countryside many have more than one children. More or less related to the 1930s in the US when families were larger than today. More children on the farm means more work hands. Albeit, the childrens education does suffer, because of this fact. In the cities it is less prevelant. The Chinese school system will charge them funds to further a childs education. Since the cost rises, there are fewer monetary funds to go around educating more than one child. Remember, Chinese parents are very dedicated and pragmatic in seeing their children get the very best in education they can. This is not unlike American parents getting their own children into the best private schools, to ensure entrance into the best colleges. (Data extrpolated from Prof Tsu, Prof Wang at UNO and from several teachers that are friends and educators of wife's family. (all are educators I might add) China turns a blind eye to the countryside folk, but puts the cross on the urban couples.

2) " From what I have been told by her and her family, many young men today are an only child and, as a result of the one-child-per-family law, they are the sole survivor of their family and must have a son to carry on the family name."

This is on going cultural that a Chinese person is raised in their society. Communism is present if the society, but so is Bhuddism. This a no brainer. However, the cultural aspects that people have been raised under is entirely another matter. The father or son are expected to be the head of the family, in precepts established by Kong Fan Tzu and Menicius, in the Great Book of Learning) This same cultural aspect is familar in not only China, but also in Japan, Korea. Mongolia, and Nepal. Therefore, a son is indeed greatly desired than a daughter. This attitude is changing. But it is hard to educate and change a society mores of 1 billion people, overnight. Societal changes are always evolutionary and are not done with a majic wand.

3) " Another consequence is there seem to be an abundance of single mothers in China. And, if a man is seeking a wife to bare him a child, these women are not desired."

IMHO, and it may be a generalization, and perhaps a pure Chinese person can answer better. Most of the same countries that I mentioned in #3 have similiar attitudes, varying in degree. I know that Yin stated that she was mentally abused in her relationship. Many women don't like to have a Chinese husband again for this reason. Many more divorced women do have a child. However, there is small doubt in my mind that Chinese men may look down on them. This is from their cultural upbringing. However, this shouldn't be said to be their entirely their fault. After all, how many American man want a wife with that has three children? There are many aspects to this question in both sides of the world. The adage from the bible I heard quoted once; "He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone!"

There are financial incentives to have only one child. The local gendarmes won't come and take you off to jail for having more than one.My wife is one of 3 children. My in-laws are anything but wealthy.

169367[/snapback]

As stated, it is more in the area of government medical/educational

benifits. A mother will not get paid for maternity leave after the

first child.

If you have the resources a second child is not a problem. As is living

in a rural area.

The idea of the government being paid to look the other way or else

they will take your child is absurd.

There are financial incentives to have only one child. The local gendarmes won't come and take you off to jail for having more than one.My wife is one of 3 children. My in-laws are anything but wealthy.

169367[/snapback]

I agree with you on this point. The China police really don't care one way or another. I believe it is the tax office and educatiional institutions that "stings" you.

May I be forward and ask if you wife was from a rural or urban enviorment? The reason that I was ask is that when I first went to China, I was accompanied by a Chinese professor from my university. Way back them I was wet behind the ears of China. I asked about the one child policy. He realted the fact that many rural families have several children. I was amazed and asked what the govt did about it and wouldn't they get in trouble? I still remember his answer that he gave me after he stopped laughing at my naivety: "The PRC Govt and tax offices don't farm here. The farmers do the farming! They just do the eating!"

In all my travels I have never heard such a short concise summary of the feelings, truth and summary of what was happening in China! :D

Kind of makes one wonder how many other policies exist, that fall under these type of rules?

My wife isnt from the boonies, but near the boonies. I am 6' 225 and red haired. I had cars stopping in her city to gawk, let alone the stares from people on the street. It was creepy.

I guess my concept to chew on for this thread was that with a larger number of men than women in China because of one child policy, will we see more American/western women seeking a Chinese husband, or likewise, more chinese men seeking a western wife because they just won't find so many single women, or find too much competition in china?

I definitely could see them seeking out Thai or Vietnamese women since they are somewhat similar in culture and if the men live in Southern China already, then also close in geography.

Edited by mercator (see edit history)
I guess my concept to chew on for this thread was that with a larger number of men than women in China because of one child policy, will we see more American/western women seeking a Chinese husband, or likewise, more chinese men seeking a western wife because they just won't find so many single women, or find too much competition in china?   

I definitely could see them seeking out Thai or Vietnamese women since they are somewhat similar in culture and if the men live in Southern China already, then also close in geography.

169466[/snapback]

Mathematically speaking, the odds are still 50-50 boy or girl, 1st or second child, so the one-child policy doesn't change anything by itself. Abortions and/or abondonment are what skew the numbers.

What is also happening is that the older Chinese men are opting for younger women, leaving the divorced women to fend for themselves (or for us to fend to).

As long as they keep generating newer, younger women, there will be some sort of a balance.

169466[/snapback]

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/patrick.guenin/can...nnews/bride.htm

China's booming trade in Vietnamese brides

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)
My wife isnt from the boonies, but near the boonies.  I am 6' 225 and red haired.  I had cars stopping in her city to gawk, let alone the stares from people on the street.  It was creepy.

169466[/snapback]

mercator,

"...will we see more American/western women seeking a Chinese husband, or likewise, more chinese men seeking a western wife because they just won't find so many single women, or find too much competition in china?..."

I doubt if you will see any change beside the changing societial concepts of happiness within the culture. IMHO, this will change due to the native Chinese becoming more exposed to Western culure. I believe that it will grow equally in all directions at the same time. I don't think that the One-child policy will have more than a minimumal impact of the society as a whole. You are too young to I remember when the largest Western influence to enter Mao Tse Tung's China was Coca Cola and Levi blue jeans. At that time this was scandlous. Today, this is so commonplace, nobody even looks. This is the gradual evolution in China that I spoke of in other posts. Changes in a society are gradual, and follow an evolutionary pattern. Same thing is happening in China today, as well as the US and all other countries and cultures.

"...I definitely could see them seeking out Thai or Vietnamese women since they are somewhat similar in culture and if the men live in Southern China already, then also close in geography."...

About four years ago this indeed did happen with Vietnnam. Unfortunately, it was Taiwanese, Korean and a few mainland Chinese coming to get brides, to take back to the farm. VN govt got wind when the women began complaining. Vietnam was pretty PO about this and there was quite a bit consertation on both sides of the table. Since then the VN govt is fairly tight about their own immigration laws. Ask PTCruiser333RPH. I told him about this a long time ago. He has since learned how difficult that the process for his SO Thoa is. Thailand from the northern district of Issan, yes and no to a lesser degree regard to Chinese men looking for women, or vice versa. Most of Thai's from this area prefer to go south to Farangs in Siam Riep, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, etc. This statement is made only from the economic rewards that they can gather by finding and marrying a farang. This capturer (woman) doesn't care whether is US, just Western is enough. Then she is able to support the famnily via farang. This as you can see is strictly a cash and carry deal, pardon the pun. Not many Chinese venture to this area unless for other reasons from my observation. I won't even discuss them since it will involve the sex trade. You can do your own research here. BTW Farang = Foreigner and/or outsider. If you aren't convinced, go there and see for youself. I have about 10 trips there under my belt. For further info, try Stickmanbangkok.com or a variety of other sites. The nightowl is where I started and since then moved to Stick.

169466[/snapback]

I remember what one chinese friend said to me in an almost solemn regret: "The chinese don't like change"...

I don't see the policy in and of itself as causing too much change since the policy change might logically sit with 'men' more than the woman and I think they are more resistant to ideological change. I do see that this is coinciding with a generation more apt to change than previous ones, as each generation will wont to do (but this is no different than in the US).

My impression is that there are too many in china caught in the underdeveloped working roles such as agriculture. So, the impact of this policy on this sector will be interesting to see how it plays out.