Favorite Recipes

Guest Tony n Terrific

Turkey Stuffing Recipe

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a

stuffing -- imagine that. When I found this recipe, I thought it

was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell

when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

8 - 15 lb. turkey

1 cup melted butter

1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good.)

1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT)

Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter

salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in

baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.

Listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey's ass blows the

oven door open and the bird flies across the room, it's done.

http://i37.tinypic.com/28bfyg2.jpg

It this Kosher Andrew? OU.

• 2 weeks later...

Fried Potato Cakes, Dont throw out those mashed taters after Thanksgiving

2 cups mashed potatoes

1 or two eggs, beaten

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

salt to taste

1 pinch garlic salt

1 tablespoon butter

In a medium size mixing bowl combine mashed potatoes, egg, flour, salt and garlic. Mix well.

Melt butter in a large frying pan over a low heat. Drop pancake-size (4 inch circles) lumps of mashed potatoes into the frying pan. Pat to flatten to 1/2 to 1 inch thickness. Flip the potato cake over when the bottom is browned. Brown the other side.

You can add some cut up ham or bacon ect to these and they do taste much good..

• 5 months later...
Guest Tony n Terrific

A buddy of mine made this over the holiday weekend and it was very good. Tis the grilling season. Instead of the hamburger and hotdog routine try this one for a change. Here is his recipe.

Grilled Chuck Steak

INGREDIENTS

4 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

2/3 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons sugar

2 teaspoons dried basil

1 (3 pound) boneless chuck steak (1 1/2 inches thick)

DIRECTIONS

In a small saucepan, saute garlic in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender; remove from the heat. In a 4-cup measure, combine the vinegar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, basil and garlic.

Pour 1 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the meat. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.

Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill. Prepare grill for indirect heat. Drain and discard marinade from steak. Grill steak, uncovered, over medium heat until browned on each side.

Move steak to indirect side of grill. Grill, covered, for 45-50 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness basting occasionally with marinade.

Sweet and sour red cabbage

---------------------------

1 small red cabbage

2 tbsp bacon drippings

1/2 apple

salt

1/4 c. sugar

1/2 c. apple vinegar

water

1. chop up the apple into really small bits, 1/4 inch or less

2. quarter the red cabbage, cut out the stem and slice up into 1/8 inch strips

3. heat bacon drippings in big frying pan, saute cabbage and apple with salt to taste until everything is soft

4. add sugar and vinegar, and barely cover with water

5. cook it down for a while until the pectin in the apple makes the sauce less watery

Guest Tony n Terrific

Sweet and sour red cabbage

---------------------------

1 small red cabbage

2 tbsp bacon drippings

1/2 apple

salt

1/4 c. sugar

1/2 c. apple vinegar

water

1. chop up the apple into really small bits, 1/4 inch or less

2. quarter the red cabbage, cut out the stem and slice up into 1/8 inch strips

3. heat bacon drippings in big frying pan, saute cabbage and apple with salt to taste until everything is soft

4. add sugar and vinegar, and barely cover with water

5. cook it down for a while until the pectin in the apple makes the sauce less watery

[/quote

Old German Hot Slaw

• 2 months later...
Guest Tony n Terrific

There is still alot of summer left to us. Come on fellas show your SO your gourmet cooking ability. Give your next grilling out grub fest an Chinese twist. It is darn good and not hard to make.

Grilled Chicken Breast with Ginger and Soy.

1 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 cup dark sesame oil

1 lime, juiced

4 inches fresh ginger, chopped

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin

Directions

Combine the 1 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, half of the lime juice, ginger, and garlic, and 1/4 cup cilantro in the bottom of each of 2 large freezer bags. Put 2 chicken breasts in each bag and get them coated with the marinade. Then set the bags on a work surface, force the air out and seal them. Allow chicken to marinade for 1 hour.

Preheat an outdoor gas or charcoal grill. Fold a few paper towels into a thick square. Blot some oil on the paper towels and then carefully wipe hot grates of the grill to make a non-stick surface. I use regular cooking spray.

Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Lay the chicken on the hot grill and cook 4 to 6 minutes on each side until charred and firm. Serve with the sesame noodles.

• 3 months later...
Guest Tony n Terrific

Turkey in a hurry! Thanksgiving is coming on Thursday. You can have this delicous dinner ready in 90 miuntes or less from start to finish. Will make 8 servings.

Ingredients

1 small onion, peeled and coarsely chopped

1 lemon, scrubbed clean

12 fresh sage leaves

Large handful fresh flat-leaf parsley (about 1/2 cup, from 12 stems)

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling pan

1 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed

6 fresh bay leaves

4 tablespoons butter

2 boneless turkey breast halves, skin on (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds each)

Freshly ground black pepper

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/4 cup apple or regular brandy (recommended: Calvados)

2 to 3 cups apple cider

Salt and pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Oil a roasting pan and set it aside.

Put the onion into the bowl of a mini food processor. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zest from the lemon in thin strips, being careful not to cut into the bitter white pith. Add the lemon zest to the food processor and reserve the whole lemon for another use. Chop the onion and lemon zest until fine. Add the sage, parsley, olive oil, and 1 teaspoon salt and pulse until it forms a coarse paste.

Put 2 of the bay leaves and the butter into a small pan and heat over medium-low heat until the butter is bubbling. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Put the turkey breasts on a work surface. Carefully run your fingers between the skin and the flesh from 1 end, being careful not to pull it completely off, creating a pocket. Season the turkey breasts generously with salt and pepper. Stuff half of the herb paste under the skin of each breast, and spread it evenly under the skin. Transfer the breasts to the roasting pan, and slide 2 bay leaves underneath each one. (The heat of the pan will release the bay leaf oils and flavor the breast.) Using a pastry brush, baste the breasts with half of the bay butter. Place the turkey in the oven and immediately decrease the temperature to 400 degrees F. After 20 minutes, baste the turkey breasts with the remaining butter, and roast for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, until cooked through, and a thermometer placed in the thickest part of the breast registers 170 degrees F.

Remove from the oven, transfer to a platter, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes before carving while you make the gravy.

Put the roasting pan over the burner on medium heat. Sprinkle the flour over the pan juices, and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Add the apple brandy, and scrape the pan to lift the bits that are stuck to the bottom. Cook for a minute to burn off the alcohol, then, while stirring, pour in the apple cider. Bring to a simmer, and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.

Slice the turkey breast on the diagonal, and serve with warm gravy.

The Chinese recipes hubby likes most are Beef Noodles, Fried Damplings, Fried Rice, must be made by me! --- since I know the way he would like the food to taste.

The beef noodles are made by a rolling pin by my hand. He likes the hand-rolled noodles. The first time he ate the hand-rolled noodles made by my mother, he fell in love to that noodles. Before I came to USA, I have practiced very much under by mom's instruction how to roll the dough to thin and flat, then cut it to make noodles. Hubby likes the beef to be cut to small cubes, cooked to very tender, with green leaves decorated on the noodles. In a word, the more like Old Beijing Beef Noodles, the better. The Fried Rice is very simple, just put small ham cubes, very tiny celery and carrot cubes, sliced fried egges and steamed rice together, fry them with some ingredients. We eat American food mostly. Occasionally I cook authentic Chinese food for him. His stomach is more used to American food.

There is still alot of summer left to us. Come on fellas show your SO your gourmet cooking ability. Give your next grilling out grub fest an Chinese twist. It is darn good and not hard to make.

Grilled Chicken Breast with Ginger and Soy.

1 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 cup dark sesame oil

1 lime, juiced

4 inches fresh ginger, chopped

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin

Directions

Combine the 1 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, half of the lime juice, ginger, and garlic, and 1/4 cup cilantro in the bottom of each of 2 large freezer bags. Put 2 chicken breasts in each bag and get them coated with the marinade. Then set the bags on a work surface, force the air out and seal them. Allow chicken to marinade for 1 hour.

Preheat an outdoor gas or charcoal grill. Fold a few paper towels into a thick square. Blot some oil on the paper towels and then carefully wipe hot grates of the grill to make a non-stick surface. I use regular cooking spray.

Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Lay the chicken on the hot grill and cook 4 to 6 minutes on each side until charred and firm. Serve with the sesame noodles.

Thanks, that looks tasty :clapping:

• 3 weeks later...

For my good friend Tony Terrific's request. Tony, have your SO change the cooking method to wok vs grilling. Also, she can use rice vs Orzo and any kind of fresh colorful veggies. Of course, if she has a grill and can get orzo then good to go too.. :D

Buon Appetitio

Neapolitan Calamari and Shrimp Salad

Prep Time: 30 min

Cook Time: 15 min

4 to 6 servings Ingredients

4 cups chicken broth

1/2 pound orzo pasta (about 1 cup)

1/2 pound calamari, whole bodies and tentacles

1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined

2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise, about 1-inch wide

1 Japanese eggplant, sliced lengthwise, about 1-inch wide

2 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise

1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

3 ounces arugula (about 3 cups)

3/4 cups chopped fresh basil leaves

1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

2 lemons, juiced

2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl.

Meanwhile, place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.

Drizzle the fish, zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the calamari and shrimp, just until cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes a side. Grill the zucchini and eggplant until tender, about 4 minutes a side. Grill the tomatoes just until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes.

Add the orzo, cannellini beans, arugula, basil, and parsley to the bowl. Cut the calamari bodies into 1-inch rings. Cut the zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes into roughly about 1-inch cubes. Add the vegetables and calamari to the bowl with the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Finally, add the shrimp on top of the salad. Gently spoon the salad into a serving bowl and serve.

Tianjin Preserved Vegetable------ASAN FUSION ~!

More of an ingredient than a recipe---and how to use it.

Obviously, there is little roasting in classic Chinese cuisine ---particularly in the south. Most here have come across Tianjin Preserved Vegetable at one time or another (it distinctive, because its sold in brown ceramic pots) --- the presentation suggests the 'old days' in the northern provinces when salted cabbage was put up in crocks in the fall for winter use.

This stuff is really salty----I have used it in stir fry, but only after rinsing it twice, and then as a complete salt substitute---its still like biting into chewy salt. But this preserved vegetable has a strong upside---its very flavorful, and very garlicky ----once you get past the salt.

Heres what I've discovered: Its excellent as a surface prep for roast meat!

I did a pork roast this weekend, cross scoring the surface through the fat layer and into the meat about an 1/8 inch, and after one very quick rinse of the vegetable, liberally stuffed it in the crosshatching along with some chopped fresh rosemary and dried thyme (the only kind I have) ----don't add any additional salt!~!!

Wow ~! the salt disappears completely, or nearly so, (absorbed into the roast) and the garlicky nature of the preserved vegetable comes forth---and enhancing the the thyme and rosemary. the vegetable itself gets crunchy at the top---even without a broiler finish---although I can imagine that would be even better!

Definitely worth a try! (looking forward to experimenting with a beef chuck roast)

Guest Tony n Terrific

For my good friend Tony Terrific's request. Tony, have your SO change the cooking method to wok vs grilling. Also, she can use rice vs Orzo and any kind of fresh colorful veggies. Of course, if she has a grill and can get orzo then good to go too.. :D

Buon Appetitio

Neapolitan Calamari and Shrimp Salad

Prep Time: 30 min

Cook Time: 15 min

4 to 6 servings Ingredients

4 cups chicken broth

1/2 pound orzo pasta (about 1 cup)

1/2 pound calamari, whole bodies and tentacles

1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined

2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise, about 1-inch wide

1 Japanese eggplant, sliced lengthwise, about 1-inch wide

2 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise

1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

3 ounces arugula (about 3 cups)

3/4 cups chopped fresh basil leaves

1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

2 lemons, juiced

2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl.

Meanwhile, place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.

Drizzle the fish, zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the calamari and shrimp, just until cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes a side. Grill the zucchini and eggplant until tender, about 4 minutes a side. Grill the tomatoes just until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes.

Add the orzo, cannellini beans, arugula, basil, and parsley to the bowl. Cut the calamari bodies into 1-inch rings. Cut the zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes into roughly about 1-inch cubes. Add the vegetables and calamari to the bowl with the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Finally, add the shrimp on top of the salad. Gently spoon the salad into a serving bowl and serve.

Thanks Richard. I will tranlate this recipe for her and use the substutes.

• 4 months later...
Guest Tony n Terrific

This is differerent twist to the hum-drum BLTs we all love to eat.

Chicken, Bacon Roll Ups

4 servings (serving size: 1 wrap)

Ingredients

1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise

1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

4 (2.8-ounce) whole wheat flatbreads or soft tortillas

2 cups shredded romaine lettuce

2 cups chopped tomato (about 2 medium)

4 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and drained

2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast

Preparation

Combine reduced-fat mayonnaise, minced basil, and fresh lemon juice in a small bowl. Spread 2 tablespoons mayonnaise mixture over each flatbread. Top each with 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce, 1/2 cup chopped tomato, 1 bacon slice, crumbled, and 1/2 cup chicken. Roll up

• 1 year later...

I made this little dish for my wife for lunch today. Turned out quite good. For 2

Ingredients

3/4 cup rigatoni noodles

1 cup broccoli florets (tops)

2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

2 teaspoons olive oil

2 teaspoons minced garlic

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions

Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), 11 minutes for Al Dente. Drain the pasta thoroughly.

While the pasta is cooking, in a pot fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Add the broccoli, cover and steam until tender,

• 2 months later...

30 minutes!Chipotle-Lime-Crusted Chicken :eatyum:

Ingredients

•1/2 cup Mayonnaise

•1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 1 oz.)

•1-1/2 t...sp. lime juice

•1/4 tsp. ground chipotle chile pepper

•4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lbs.)

•1/4 cup crushed plain tortilla chips

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 425°.

2.Combine Mayonnaise, cheese, lime juice and ground chipotle in medium bowl. Arrange chicken on baking sheet. Evenly top with mayonnaise mixture, then sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips.

3.Bake 20-25 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Hey your a gourmet cook now.