Favorite Recipes

This is a favorite for holidays for my family

Sausage Balls:

INGREDIENTS

2 cups biscuit mix

1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

1 pound fresh, ground pork sausage(hot Owens)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a large bowl, mix together biscuit mix, Cheddar cheese, and sausage. Roll mixture into walnut-size balls and arrange on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until completely cooked and browned. Place on paper towels to drain and cool.

These can even be made ahead of time and frozen...

Why did I know that Mikey's favorite recipe would have both balls and sausage in the title?

SHUP UP BABA

shup up???

Damn it, I got it right once lol lol

http://files.tagworld.com/424070b2552c4f3fbcaf5c7639f2a58f.jpeg

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

Chinese American Thanksgiving Turkey

By Arthur Boehm, November-December 2003

Adapted from Easy Family Recipes from a Chinese-American Childhood by Ken Hom (Knopf, 1997)

(Serves 10 to 12)

This cross-cultural feast features turkey with a savory Chinese stuffing placed under the skin. Steamed first for succulence, the bird is then roasted to ensure golden, crackling skin.

1 12- to 14-pound turkey

2 tablespoons, Asian sesame oil

3 tablespoons, kosher salt

1 tablespoon, freshly ground black pepper

Stuffing

3 cups, sticky rice

1 cup, dried black mushrooms

1 ? pounds, ground pork

3 tablespoons, soy sauce

? cup, Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry

2 teaspoons, Asian sesame oil

1 teaspoon, salt

? teaspoon, freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons, peanut oil

2 tablespoons, finely chopped ginger

? cup, finely chopped scallions

1 pound, Chinese sausage, chopped

? pound, fresh water chestnuts, peeled and coarsely chopped, or canned

6 cups, homemade chicken stock or low-salt canned broth

Salt and ground black pepper, to taste

1. Up to a day in advance, dry the turkey inside and out with paper towels; reserve the giblets. Rub the skin with the sesame oil. Mix the kosher salt and pepper, and rub the mixture evenly over the bird. (If working ahead, cover the turkey with plastic film, and refrigerate.) Chop the giblets coarsely, and refrigerate for later use.

2. To make the stuffing, soak the sticky rice for at least 2 hours or overnight in enough cold water to cover it. Drain thoroughly. Soak the mushrooms in warm water for 20 minutes, drain them, and squeeze out any excess liquid. Remove and discard the mushroom stems; coarsely chop the caps.

3. Combine the pork with 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the rice wine or sherry, the sesame oil, and the salt and ground black pepper. Set the mixture aside for 20 minutes.

4. Heat a large wok or frying pan over high heat. Add the oil, swirl to coat the pan, and when the oil smokes slightly, add the ginger and scallions, and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the pork and giblets; stir-fry for 3 minutes, breaking up the pork. Add the mushrooms, sausage, rice, and water chestnuts, and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add 3 cups of stock, the remaining soy sauce, and the remaining wine, and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook, until the rice has absorbed the liquid, about 15 minutes.

5. To stuff the turkey, carefully separate the skin of the turkey from the breast. Insert a thin layer of stuffing between the breast and skin. Fill the cavity loosely with the stuffing. (Transfer any remaining stuffing to a baking dish, steam or bake for 40 minutes, and serve separately.)

6. Place the turkey on a deep, heatproof platter on a rack in a large roasting pan, and add enough hot water to the pan to come to 1 1/2 inches beneath the rack. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil or a lid, place it over two stovetop burners, and steam gently until the thigh juices run clear, about 3 1/2 hours. Replenish the water as needed. Remove the turkey from the platter, reserving any juices that may have collected.

7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the turkey back on the rack in the roasting pan, place the pan in the oven, and cook for 25 minutes. Increase the temperature to 450 degrees, and roast until the skin is golden, about 30 minutes more. To check for doneness, insert a thermometer into the breast and thigh. The internal temperature of the breast should be 165 degrees, the thigh, 180.

8. To make the gravy, combine the remaining stock and the reserved turkey juices. Transfer the mixture to a medium saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat, turn the heat to low, and simmer, until the liquid is reduced by half.

9. Remove the turkey from the oven, and allow it to rest for 20 minutes before carving. Serve the turkey and the dressing with hot gravy.

Nutrients per serving: calories 837; protein 85g; carbohydrate 21g; fat 44g (saturated fat 10g); cholesterol 217mg; sodium 1,294mg

• 8 months later...

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 pound baby red potatoes, thinly sliced

4 ribs celery from the heart, chopped

5 carrots, shredded (2 cups)

2 onions, chopped

1 bay leaf

One 32-ounce container (4 cups) vegetable or chicken broth

One 15-ounce can tomato sauce

One 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed

One 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed

1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1/2 cup pickle relish

Flat-leaf parsley, chopped (a couple of generous handfuls)

Dill sprigs, for garnish

Crusty whole grain bread, for serving

1. In a soup pot, heat the Olive Oil, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, celery, carrots, onions and bay leaf and cook until softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the broth tomato sauce, chickpeas and kidney beans, cover and bring to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until just tender, 5 minutes. Season liberally with salt and pepper (the stoup is thick--you can add a little water if you prefer it a little soupier).

2. Stir in the relish and parsley and turn off the heat. Discard the bay leaf. Top the soup with the dill sprigs and serve with the bread.

Cook until softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the broth tomato sauce, chickpeas and kidney beans, cover and bring to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until just tender, 5 minutes. Season liberally with salt and pepper (the soup is thick--you can add a little water if you prefer it a little soupier).

2. Stir in the relish and parsley and turn off the heat. Discard the bay leaf. Top the soup with the dill sprigs and serve with the bread.

Edited by Thomas Promise (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

Pasta with Sausage and Peppers

Ingredients

Box 1 Pasta (Penne or Zitti)

1 pound Italian Sausage (Sweet or Hot)

1 Red Bell Pepper (Sliced in Strips)

1 Onion (Sliced in Strips)

3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)

1/2 Cup Chicken Stock

1 Jar Spaghetti Sauce (I like Newman's)

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

Cooking Instructions

Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, add a pinch of salt and the pasta. Cook until al dente (approx 10 min)

While pasta cooks, slice and mince your pepper, onion and garlic. For your sausage if your using links you can slice them up or squeeze out the sausage from the casings.

Heat the oil in the pan to a shimmer over med high heat. Add the sausage and sautee until brown. Room the sausage from the pan to drain on paper towels and then add the Pepper and Onions and Garlic.

Sautee the veggies for about 4 minutes. Add back the sausage and deglaze the pan with the chicken stock, then adding the jar of spaghetti sauce.

Cook sauce until heated through, drain pasta and toss into sauce. If the sauce is too thick you can thin with little more chicken stock or pasta water.

Serve in bowls with grated cheese.

• 1 month later...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING YA ALL!!

Here is a fushion style recipe for sweet potatoes. Most Chinese SO enjoy sweet potatoes and spicy food. This recipe would go well with a smoke turkey or other southwestern type steak or chicken. But hey, try making these today. This recipe is so easy, even TRIGG and THE DON can make em. However, I think my good friends from Texas, RANDY W & TOPLAW would have difficulty.... :unsure:

Spicy Smashed Sweet Potatoes

3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 tablespoon sambal oleek

1 teaspoon adobo sauce from small can of ancho peppers

1 teaspoon salt

Put cubed potatoes into steamer basket and place steamer into a large pot of simmering water that is no closer than 2 inches from the bottom of basket. Allow to steam for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Add butter to potatoes and mash with potato masher. Add sambal oleek, sauce, and salt and continue mashing to combine. Serve immediately.

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING YA ALL!!

Here is a fushion style recipe for sweet potatoes. Most Chinese SO enjoy sweet potatoes and spicy food. This recipe would go well with a smoke turkey or other southwestern type steak or chicken. But hey, try making these today. This recipe is so easy, even TRIGG and THE DON can make em. However, I think my good friends from Texas, RANDY W & TOPLAW would have difficulty.... :gleam:

Hey, we can handle these things! Just add a step to toppy's recipe -

0. Wait until Ping gets here.

Pumpkin Spiced Pancakes

Serves two

Pecan Syrup:

1 cup maple-flavored pancake syrup

5 tablespoons pecans, toasted and chopped

Pancakes:

1 cup buttermilk pancake mix

1 cup cold water

1/3 cup canned pumpkin

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Nonstick vegetable cooking spray

Butter, room temperature

Pecan Syrup Preparation:

Combine maple syrup and pecans in small microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave on high until hot, about 25 seconds. Set pecan syrup aside and keep warm.

Pancake Preparation:

In a medium bowl, whisk pancake mix, water, pumpkin, cinnamon, and ginger until just blended (do not over mix; mixture should be lumpy).

Spray a heavy griddle with nonstick spray and heat griddle over medium heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter onto griddle to form each pancake. Cook for 2 minutes or until bubbles appear, then turn pancakes over and cook for 2 minutes longer. Transfer pancakes to plates. Top with butter and serve with warm pecan syrup.

• 2 months later...
Guest Tony n Terrific

Hearty Beef Stew

Prep Time: 20 min.

Cook Time: 10 hr.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 lb. beef for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces

Ground black pepper

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 tbsp. vegetable oil

1 lb. medium potato, cut into cubes (about 2 1/2 cups)

4 medium carrots, sliced (about 2 cups)

2 medium onions, cut into wedges

4 cloves garlic, minced

3 1/4 cups Swanson® Beef Broth (regular, 50% Less Sodium or Certified Organic)

1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed

1 bay leaf

1 cup frozen peas

DIRECTIONS:

Sprinkle the beef with black pepper and coat it with 2 tablespoons of the flour. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until it's well browned, stirring often.

Place the potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic into a 5-quart slow cooker. Top with the beef. Add 3 cups of the broth, Worcestershire, thyme and bay leaf.

Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 11 hours* or until the beef is fork-tender. Remove the bay leaf.

Mix the remaining flour and broth. Stir the flour mixture and the peas into the cooker. Turn the heat to HIGH. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens.

*Or on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours.

• 2 months later...
Guest Tony n Terrific

Chili-Rubbed Sirloin Steak with Seasoned Shoestring Fries Recipe

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1 pound frozen shoestring potatoes

5 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 scallions, trimmed, thinly sliced

1 1/2 pound piece boneless sirloin steak (about 1 1/4 inches thick)

Heat broiler. Mix chili powder, garlic salt, red pepper, cumin in bowl. Toss potatoes, 3 tablespoons oil, scallions, 2 teaspoons spice mixture in a bowl. Place on baking sheet.

Brush both sides of meat with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Rub remaining spice mixture over steak.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook potatoes on baking sheet on lowest rack in oven 12 minutes, turning halfway through. At same time, broil meat 4 inches from heat 4 to 5 minutes. Turn meat over. Broil 6 minutes (internal temperature 145 degrees F for medium-rare). Remove the meat from oven; let stand 5 minutes.

While meat is resting, place potatoes under broiler for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned and crispy.

Thinly slice meat on angle. Serve with seasoned fries.

I'm really glad you posted a thread on this! I bought a book recently thinking I should start learning how to cook authentic Chinese food. And this one caught my eye:

Kylie Kwong "My China a feast for all the senses"

Its a nice book showing her travels through China, along with 80 recipes, here is the first I plan to make, I'll let you know how it turned out.

Stir-Fried Potato with Lup Cheong (I think la jiang?) and Green Chilli

2 large potatoes, peeled

1 medium carrot, peeled

2 tablespoons peanut oil

5 cm (2 in) piece ginger, cut into thin strips

1 teaspoon sea salt

2 lup cheong (Chinese dried sausage) or rindless

bacon rashers, finely sliced

2 tablespoons shao hsing wine

1 teaspoon brown sugar

2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar

2 tablespoons light soy sauce

1 large green chilli, finely sliced lengthways

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1/4 cup water

Cut potatoes lengthways into 5 mm (1/4 in) slices, then into 7 cm

(2 3/4 in) strips. Use vegetable peeler to shave carrot into ribbons, then cut into fine strips.

Heat peanut oil in a hot wok until surface seems to shimmer slightly. Add potatoes, ginger and salt and stir-fry for about 2 minutes, or until the potatoes are lightly browned. Add sausage or bacon and stir-fry for 2 minutes.

Add shao hsing wine and sugar and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes. Stir in carrot and remaining ingredients and stir-fry for about 6 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Sever immediately.

I loved eating this for breakfast at Lei's home when I visited, hope you enjoy it. <_<

Edited by carl.hops (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific

Killer Inside Out Burger with Worcestershire Tomato Ketchup Recipe

1/4 pound bacon, chopped

1/2 cup minced red onions

3 tablespoons fresh uncooked chorizo, out of casing

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 pounds ground chuck, 80/20 mix

1/2 pound Swiss cheese, thinly sliced, about 8 slices

4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted

In a medium pan over medium to high heat, add bacon and onions, cook until the bacon is rendered but not crisp. Add the chorizo and cook until done. Remove the bacon mixture to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool.

Divide ground chuck into 8 equal parts. Form into a loose ball, and create 4-inch patties. Layer 1 piece of cheese onto the center of 1 patty. Top with 1/4 bacon mixture, another slice of cheese, then add another patty on top and gently seal edges and form into a patty, about 4 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches high. Repeat with the remaining patties to make a total of 4 large patties.

Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Place all 4 patties in the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on 1 side, then gently turn over and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and pop it in a 250 degree F oven for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven, place onto rolls and serve with Worcestershire Tomato Ketchup.

Worcestershire Tomato Ketchup:

3 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup diced red onion

8 Roma tomatoes, skinned, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch pieces

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pinch allspice

Pinch celery salt

Pinch mustard seed

In medium saute pan over medium heat, add oil and onions. Cook until brown and caramelized. Add the tomatoes, and garlic and cook for a few minutes, just to soften the vegetables. Then add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.

You can either serve the ketchup chunky or puree it in a blender first and serve it smooth.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tony n Terrific

Tangy Grilled Beef

Ingredients:

1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Condensed Tomato Soup

2 tbsp. packed brown sugar

2 tbsp. lemon juice

2 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil

1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

2 Garlic cloves finely minced

1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed

1 1/2 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak, 3/4" thick

Directions:

1. Stir the soup, sugar, lemon juice, oil, Worcestershire, garlic and thyme in a medium bowl.

2. Lightly oil the grill rack and heat the grill to medium. Grill the steak for 10 minutes for medium-rare or until desired doneness, turning the steak over halfway through cooking and brushing it often with some of the soup mixture. Let it stand for 10 minutes before slicing.

3. Pour the remaining soup mixture into a 1-quart saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat to a boil. Serve the sauce with the steak.

Serves 6

Tip: Marinate the Sirloin steak in a 1/2 cup of Red Wine (like burgundy) and 2 tbs. olive oil for more tender steak refridgerate turning steak a few times for 4 hours.

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)
  • 5 months later...
Guest Tony n Terrific

I made this soup during the football game this afternoon and it is great.

It has some heat to it. Perfect for these cold days to warm you up.

:mobrun:

Mexican Black Bean Chicken Soup

Ingredients

1 lb chicken breast, cooked

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon cilantro

1/2 tablespoon cumin

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons black pepper

14 ounces diced Tomatoes

2 quarts chicken stock

14 ounces Hominy

14 ounces black beans rinsed

2 stalks of celery chopped

1 jalepeno pepper finely diced

Directions

1. Place a large pot over medium heat, add Olive oil. Add the onions, celery, Jalepeno garlic and season with coriander, cumin, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until softened, about 8-10 minutes.

2. Add the Tomatos, chicken stock Hominy and black beans to the pot and bring to a bubble. Heat to a boil and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionaly.

Makes 8 servings

• 2 weeks later...

Turkey Stuffing Recipe

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a

stuffing -- imagine that. When I found this recipe, I thought it

was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell

when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

8 - 15 lb. turkey

1 cup melted butter

1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good.)

1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT)

Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter

salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in

baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.

Listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey's ass blows the

oven door open and the bird flies across the room, it's done.

Turkey Stuffing Recipe

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a

stuffing -- imagine that. When I found this recipe, I thought it

was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell

when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

8 - 15 lb. turkey

1 cup melted butter

1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good.)

1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT)

Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter

salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in

baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.

Listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey's ass blows the

oven door open and the bird flies across the room, it's done.

http://i37.tinypic.com/28bfyg2.jpg