Extra suitcases on the airplane...

We just got back to NC, via China Southern from Nanning to Lax & then Delta from LAX to ATL then onto CLT. Here is what we experianced & did:

We both carried 2 SUPER LARGE CASES 18"x 10" X 36"

1 Large Suitcase Standard pull behind (Looks like an old original suitcase

2 Carry Ons.

we had to pay an over limit charge in nanning along with a 1600 rmb charge for her dogs large kennle

After getting to GUZ, we reverified the weights of each suitcase (by finding a vacant ticket desk & used the scale there. We ended up taking out of one bag & placing the contents into another, making sure that none of the large cases exceeded 32 kg. and each of the carry ons not exceed 10kg.

For the extra large suitcase & the dog, we paid about 3,000 rmb. BE SURE AND KEEP YOUR RECIEPTS HANDY upon arriving in LAX. :greenblob:

Any way, our bags followed us as well as the dog, and never had to pay anything more.

As for LAX & Customs & Immigrations:

If she doesn't have children comming with you, you should be able to go through any of the lines that are there. Just be sure and pick up & Have her fill out the I-94 (they have them in both english & chinese forms)form that will be on your right upon entering the immigrations area.

Keep her passport, ID, & I-94 handy in one place as you may be asked to present them at security at the domestic level. After that, have a safe flight home.

Scott,

International fees I don't know- I'd defer you to the airlines web site or a call. Maybe someone HAS paid the international fees here and will respond.

Domestically, Southwest wise $50. each for over 70# but less than 100# and $25 for 50 to 70# is what we paid- six bags (we knew this beforehand from their website).

168830[/snapback]

Scott

Only the airline can tell you the exact fees for oversize/overweight or excess bags. I will add the "look the other way" attitude is not so easy these days. Most airlines seem to be paying extra attention to bag weight ( see new rules for NWA,UA, etc). Weight equals fuel equals dollars.

On Oct 25, Ying and I flew United from Beijing to Chicago. 2 bags for her and 3 bags for me, as I am Premier Exec on United. We both got the 32 kg limit as tickets were booked before the September cutoff. They were checking the bag weights - all got the "heavy" tags.

We had 1 valid excess bag for our cat, that was $133. They wanted to add another excess bag charge for me until I reminded them I was a Premier Exec.

The details of rules and conditions for baggage transfer between international flights and domestic flights and regional carriers, etc is in the terms and conditions of carriage of the airline - enjoy reading !

My only advice is - if you do not meet the requirements for the complete journey - maybe you will get by - but be prepared to pay or adjust as required.

Ed