about name checks

Good topic, My wifes name is Chen Chunqiu. Is Chunqiu a fairly common name in China? I never heard of it before. Then again, I dont know a lot of chinese folks by name =)

168383[/snapback]

Chunqiu is not very common, but Chen is a common name.

168448[/snapback]

Actually, I believe Chen is the most common family name in China.

Hence my :D in the previous post.

168510[/snapback]

um.. at least one website agrees.. top nine.

Chen (Chan)

Lin

Huang (Hwang, Hwong)

Li (Lee)

Zhang (Chang)

Wu (U, O, Oh)

Wang (Wong)

Cai (Tsai)

Liu

But you do need to consider the entire name for commonality in regards to name check issues..

At one point (at least 25 years ago), I had heard that Chang was the most common name in the world, with Singh (lion in hindi) not far behind. Side point here - these are Mandarin names, the Cantonese name is different - Wu (Mandarin) is Ng (Cantonese), for example. That is, the same Chinese character is used, which translates to different sounds in the two languages.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Does the name check/background check check both petitioner and SO?

Thanks...

168273[/snapback]

Yes, indeed they are checking everyone that is involved during the process.

168289[/snapback]

I'm Curious Shaquanew. Name/background check on the petitioner??? What is the source of this information, Please? Richard

168503[/snapback]

See the following link....

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress04/garrity022504.htm

While having a common name may generate "hits," the FBI claims that it can quickly resolve whether or not a "hit" belongs to that person. Where the problem begins is when the "hit" is legit. Then, it's placed in another pile for someone to determine whether it's significant.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Does the name check/background check check both petitioner and SO?

Thanks...

168273[/snapback]

Yes, indeed they are checking everyone that is involved during the process.

168289[/snapback]

I'm Curious Shaquanew. Name/background check on the petitioner??? What is the source of this information, Please? Richard

168503[/snapback]

See the following link....

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress04/garrity022504.htm

While having a common name may generate "hits," the FBI claims that it can quickly resolve whether or not a "hit" belongs to that person. Where the problem begins is when the "hit" is legit. Then, it's placed in another pile for someone to determine whether it's significant.

168624[/snapback]

these are the interesting parts...

“Approximately 85% of name checks are electronically returned to the DOS as having "No Record" within 72 hours. A "No Record" indicates that the FBI's Central Records System contains no identifiable information regarding this individual. By agreement with the Department of State, partially due to our concern about the time factors in approving visa requests, a "No Record" equates to a "No Objection" to the issuance of a visa."

and

"How long does it take to complete a visa request name check?" As shown on the graph, 88% are completed in 30 days and 98% of the requests are resolved in 120 days." (feb 2004)

This is an interesting web site I found about chinese last names and their meanings/popularity... if you click on the name it says how popular it is...

http://www.yutopian.com/names/

This says Chen is the 5th most common in china.. so who knows who is right hehe :blink: