christmas

I bought Santa hats for Lao Po and her daughter. I'll also buy a couple of kilos of pistachios on my business stop before China.

I asked Lao Po if I should give her daughter the same gift I'm giving to my other three kids (a crisp Franklin and a heart felt letter) ... she said, "No, too much money. No need."

Yep ... visa digger ... for sure ... :P

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we even met each other my SO and myself sent each other a Christmas gift to one another last year. I do not see any harm in it.

I know that she is improving on her English also. I may be in trouble she  asked me about the 12 days of Christmas yesterday. :P

167244[/snapback]

Hello,

Flowers are great anytime! Truly the universal language of love. I sent my SO roses when we first became friends, and she was just completely thrilled.

I use Annie Flowers. I am amazed that I can send a dozen roses half way around the world for less than around the block from my house.

http://china-flower.annie.com.cn/

-James

167254[/snapback]

I gave flowers Annie a shot. $21.99 for a dozen pink roses. Score. Pink is her favorite color. Same day delivery too. I'm sure I will hear about it if/when they arrive. I've never sent anything to her work before - I hope they all see it :P , because she is often asked about me (gossip gossip)... This ought to light the gossip fires a little. :ph34r:

I know she is going to be unhappy about the expense, but she won't buy them herself. If Anny comes through, she'll make a few bucks from me in the next 8-15 months. Hehe. After that, actually Wal-Mart is the freshest flowers around here (sadly) but they are in good shape and the price is good for frequent flower mileage. >:)

I have been sending flowers now and then.  But my SO told me it's too expensive.   :greenblob:

167257[/snapback]

Hello,

As little as $15.99!

http://china-flower.annie.com.cn/list.asp?itemid=an-007

Free delivery too. I sent Moon Cakes also for the Moon Festival.

-James

167258[/snapback]

I have really good results from this company.http// flower@LocalStreets.com

They will delivery all over China.

They have Roses, Bouquets and Fruit baskests with same day delivery.

2 doz. Roses for $27.40. Not bad.

Edited by Thomas Promise (see edit history)
I have been sending flowers now and then.  But my SO told me it's too expensive.   :lol:

167257[/snapback]

Hello,

As little as $15.99!

http://china-flower.annie.com.cn/list.asp?itemid=an-007

Free delivery too. I sent Moon Cakes also for the Moon Festival.

-James

167258[/snapback]

I've used them a couple of times, very good, very reliable. Even sent moon-cakes to the family :D along with flowers.

Well my lao po received the flowers and was pleased, but, of course she had to comment on how the flowers don't last long, and then they die, so it was wasteful. She could spend the money on flowers there and have extra to send me more emails (she has them translated both ways, to the tune of $3 per exchange, unless they finally gave her the volume discount she deserves (haha)).

I had to remind her that the last time I gave her extra money for flowers, she put it on her cell phone bill. So I told her I would send her a some next month, but she had to promise to actually buy flowers with it :angry:

I won't be in China for Christmas...  Do I get gifts for the whole family, or just her?  That or maybe save the big gift giving for Chinese New Years?

I must admit I was a pretty sad gift giver my first time out, even if well-intentioned. Her aunts and uncles save for one didn't come to the wedding ceremony because I didn't give enough of a dowry to my mother-in-law.  Her immediate family was less disappointed because my SO 'paved the way' with gifts and things she said was from me, though she paid for them and never asked me for any money.  They also took the time to get to know me, and despite not being a wealthy guy (I'm basically upper middle class in my region, maybe just average in the US), I had good intentions.  I gave things from my samll town, like t-shirts and coffee (ok tea) mugs.  I gave some locally made jewelry but it didnt look much different that the stuff she could buy from any street vendor.

So I want to do it right this next time!

I want to send things like nuts and fruit, as well, but I am not sure if that will work its way through customs.  USPS lists all the restrictions for mailing to China, but doesn't mention any produce being restricted.

ANY help on this would be great.  I saw in another thread making her an ally in the process, and I think I will probably have to do that, because I know her brother, brothers in law, and uncle will all want beer, bijiu, and cigarettes (none of which I am supposed to mail), so she'll have to get those things for me there.  She would also have the great ideas, but her family is huge (youngest of six), and I don't know where the line gets drawn....

Thanks!

167371[/snapback]

Mercator,

Try RTFF. Go to this link post #4; http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12659. I answered it completely. Your SO and her family will desires with the likes and dislikes will vary from family to family. Flowers are good, however many Chinese people believe them to be wasteful, because they don't last long. My SO I send flowers on special occasions only. IMHO, chocolate tastes will vary from person to person. Chinese choclate, they generally don't like unless they are addicts. Most Oriential perople I have been around love Hersheys, or Belgian choclates.

2d piece of advice is research and more research of SO and family. What does she need, and want? The gift that is chosen wisely, for what they need and still gives them some amount of guangxi is the best. Then choose the gift wisely.

Cerberus

I won't be in China for Christmas...  Do I get gifts for the whole family, or just her?  That or maybe save the big gift giving for Chinese New Years?

I must admit I was a pretty sad gift giver my first time out, even if well-intentioned.   Her aunts and uncles save for one didn't come to the wedding ceremony because I didn't give enough of a dowry to my mother-in-law.  Her immediate family was less disappointed because my SO 'paved the way' with gifts and things she said was from me, though she paid for them and never asked me for any money.  They also took the time to get to know me, and despite not being a wealthy guy (I'm basically upper middle class in my region, maybe just average in the US), I had good intentions.  I gave things from my samll town, like t-shirts and coffee (ok tea) mugs.  I gave some locally made jewelry but it didnt look much different that the stuff she could buy from any street vendor.

I want to send things like nuts and fruit, as well, but I am not sure if that will work its way through customs.  USPS lists all the restrictions for mailing to China, but doesn't mention any produce being restricted.

ANY help on this would be great.  I saw in another thread making her an ally in the process, and I think I will probably have to do that, because I know her brother, brothers in law, and uncle will all want beer, bijiu, and cigarettes (none of which I am supposed to mail), so she'll have to get those things for me there.  She would also have the great ideas, but her family is huge (youngest of six), and I don't know where the line gets drawn....

Thanks!

167371[/snapback]

Mercator,

Try RTFF. Go to this link post #4; http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12659. I answered it completely. Your SO and her family will desires with the likes and dislikes will vary from family to family. Flowers are good, however many Chinese people believe them to be wasteful, because they don't last long. My SO I send flowers on special occasions only. IMHO, chocolate tastes will vary from person to person. Chinese choclate, they generally don't like unless they are addicts. Most Oriential perople I have been around love Hersheys, or Belgian choclates.

2d piece of advice is research and more research of SO and family. What does she need, and want? The gift that is chosen wisely, for what they need and still gives them some amount of guangxi is the best. Then choose the gift wisely.

Cerberus

167750[/snapback]

Mercator,

I was negilient in one aspect to my reply. My individual sitiation is trbely complicated for gifts at Christmas. SO's and my anniversay is Christmas, Day, is actually Christmas, and the SO family's gifts have to be chosen at the same time. Advice I gave in last post is is still applicable.

I should mention that SO's choice of flowers is yellow plum blossoms in the latter part of the year. I still haven't found a flower delivery shop that can handle this order.

I must admit I was a pretty sad gift giver my first time out, even if well-intentioned. Her aunts and uncles save for one didn't come to the wedding ceremony because I didn't give enough of a dowry to my mother-in-law.  Her immediate family was less disappointed because my SO 'paved the way' with gifts and things she said was from me, though she paid for them and never asked me for any money.  They also took the time to get to know me, and despite not being a wealthy guy (I'm basically upper middle class in my region, maybe just average in the US), I had good intentions.  I gave things from my samll town, like t-shirts and coffee (ok tea) mugs.  I gave some locally made jewelry but it didnt look much different that the stuff she could buy from any street vendor.

Thanks!

167371[/snapback]

Mercator,

Cerberus

167750[/snapback]

Mercator,

I was negilient in one aspect to my reply. My individual sitiation is trbely complicated for gifts at Christmas. SO's and my anniversay is Christmas, Day, is actually Christmas, and the SO family's gifts have to be chosen at the same time. Advice I gave in last post is is still applicable.

I should mention that SO's choice of flowers is yellow plum blossoms in the latter part of the year. I still haven't found a flower delivery shop that can handle this order.

167752[/snapback]

I've opted not to give Christmas gifts because of religious reasons with her family, but all of this good information still applies when it comes time to buy gifts, probably at Chinese New Year.

As for the flowers, four days on, and she still raves about them. She got them at work, so her co-workers have a fresh bit of gossip to spread. She still talks about the fact that they wither and die, but I told her it was only a little money (compared to if I wanted to send the same package to someone here in the US - heck I can go buy a dozen roses at the store and pay $15-20 and still have to deliver them myself... I sent word 10000kms away and she got them same day for $22. a bargain, imho), and she deserved them.

We normally talk on the phone once every 2-3 days on the phone, but now she is calling me 1-2 times a day. I should send them more often!!

Wewt!