Surely the VO's cannot be so disconnected from Chinese culture not to understand that!

167090[/snapback]

Is anyone willing to chance it? Especially with some of the surprise blue slips getting passed around? I wonder if anyone has any experience with this subject............. :D

Early in our relationship my wife and I used the terms "husband" and "wife" in our corespondence until I read here that it probably isn't a good idea. The theory is it is not wise to confuse GUZ. They are looking for an excuse to deny you anyway and if they suspect you are already married you are giving them one.

In my review of 100s of interviews here to build the 'fraud section' of the FAQ, I cannot recall a single issue arise from that specifically. But I will say that correspondence is not ask for all that much.

It was all throughout my correspondence, which they did not ask for. I did not edit those terms out. I did 'hand pick' best ones to reveal our ability to communicate and understand each other, including how we would ask for the other to explain something...

In the end, I would say that one should do what they are most comfortable with and seems the least risk for their SO at the interview.

Doesn't it stand to reason, since they actually do a name check in both countries. People that are married, would show up, as married.

We married in the capital city of her province. I'm sure they will see she is married when they do her background. Hence, wouldn't it be a good assumption; they know that the unmarried women are single.

Edited by obxtrainman (see edit history)
I'm not convinced that these particular names showing up in emails are going to cause a VO to deny someone..  They probably do 100s of interviews a month and seems impossible that they would be unaware of its usage among the culture, whether married or not...

167048[/snapback]

Agree completely.

In any case, emails are almost completely worthless as evidence as they can be easily faked and, as such, have no probative value. The only thing that is useful is the log of emails exchanged, because that is generated by a 3rd party. It is analogous to a log of phone calls.

This is nuts!  Why the heck does anyone really care if we say 'lao gong'/'lao po' or 'fred'/'ginger'?  This is paranoia and I'm not sure if we're doing it to ourselves or are allowing it to be done to us.  But I'm falling into it lock-stock-and-barrel along with everyone else.

167331[/snapback]

Of course, if married, it is no concern at all. However,

for the K1 fiance visa, the VO's are on the lookout for married couples who falsely use the K1 because it is faster than the K3. VO's have been quoted as asking a fiance "does your husband, or 'lao gong' ........ ?" to see if she trips up. One member here had a sharp fiance who caught it and replied "He is not my husband, we are not married".

Other true fiances have gotten formal 'wedding' photos, or have had 'non-legal' and purely symbolic marriage ceremonies for their families, only to show legitimacy of the relationship, but have recieved blue slips because the VO wants to be reassured they are not married.

So, the concern is will a VO give a blue slip when seeing the words lao po and lao gong in emails, letters, messages, etc. , and is it better to curb the use of these endearments and not give the VO's any reason to doubt the validity of the K1.

My wife (then fiancee) and I actually worried about this as well when we went through the K1 process. I think this is a question that should be brought up to USCONGUZ for a definitive answer. Or if nothing else, to at least raise this awareness that this is a simple cultural difference.

[Of course, if married, it is no concern at all. However,

for the K1 fiance visa, the VO's are on the lookout for married couples who falsely use the K1 because it is faster than the K3. VO's have been quoted as asking a fiance "does your husband, or 'lao gong' ........ ?" to see if she trips up. One member here had a sharp fiance who caught it and replied "He is not my husband, we are not married". 

Other true fiances have gotten formal 'wedding' photos, or have had 'non-legal' and purely symbolic marriage ceremonies for their families, only to show legitimacy of the relationship, but have recieved blue slips because the VO wants to be reassured they are not married.

So, the concern is will a VO give a blue slip when seeing the words lao po and lao gong in emails, letters, messages, etc. , and is it better to curb the use of these endearments and not give the VO's any reason to doubt the validity of the K1.

167344[/snapback]

It is equally important to separate rumor from fact - I don't think there was any real evidence that the VO was trying to trip up the interviewee - just simply that the interviewee was on guard against the question.

Just because you've heard it a dozen times on Candle doesn't make it more true than the first time.

My wife (then fiancee) and I actually worried about this as well when we went through the K1 process.  I think this is a question that should be brought up to USCONGUZ for a definitive answer.  Or if nothing else, to at least raise this awareness that this is a simple cultural difference.

167348[/snapback]

Yes, I agree. I think it is a matter of just wanting to know !

:P

My wife (then fiancee) and I actually worried about this as well when we went through the K1 process.  I think this is a question that should be brought up to USCONGUZ for a definitive answer.  Or if nothing else, to at least raise this awareness that this is a simple cultural difference.

167348[/snapback]

Yes, I agree. I think it is a matter of just wanting to know !

:P

167355[/snapback]

I already did... :ph34r:

Questions on Fraud, detection and avoidance

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13864