Driver's License for Visitors

Okay

about 6 years ago I had a furniture factory boss visit me and he drove to our store. It was his first trip to America and I asked him how in the world did he get his license on a visitor visa and pass without knowing english well enough. He said while visiting a customer in Houston they suggested he go take the test in Chinese and that its perfectly legal to get a driver's license while visiting the U.S.

It just doesn't seem like we can just drive my wife's dad to Houston and have him take the test when he comes here for a visitor's visa. Anyone heard of this? It would be perfect for us because while they are here for their two or so month visit he can at least have a car to drive to our store and house which are only 5 mins away from each other. That way they won't get so bored and they technically could try to drive around New Orleans once they got used to the area after a few weeks. Thanks in advance.

I have a Chinese friend whose father took and passed the driver's test while here in Houston last year. You are allowed an interpreter for the written portion. The Driver's Handbook is NOT published in Chinese, although you're free to use a translated copy.

I have a Chinese friend whose father took and passed the driver's test while here in Houston last year. You are allowed an interpreter for the written portion. The Driver's Handbook is NOT published in Chinese, although you're free to use a translated copy.

166807[/snapback]

Thanks Randy,

Do you know if you have to be a legal resident or being a visitor is okay? Also, did his father have to live in Houston to take the test?

he can always get an international drivers license before he leaves china... I always get one here from AAA for other countries, most are acceptable by treaty.....

It depends on the state and what legislation has been passed there to prevent terrorism. Most states now days won't issue a DL without a SSN which your father in law cant get because he is here on a visitors visa.

?Thanks Randy,??      Do you know if you have to be a legal resident or being a visitor is okay?  Also, did his father have to live in Houston to take the test??

166817[/snapback]

?

?I'm not sure what the residency requirement is these days - used to be you needed something with your name and address on it - they were here for 6 months visiting their daughter.