CD drive won't play chinese VCDs

hello all... just wondered if someone could help me out with the problem.

edith gave me a set of VCDs for learning chinese, but they won't work with my computer's cd/dvd/vcd drive (if it helps, this is the one i have: here.)

a couples things to keep in mind:

1) the drive mentioned above DOES play VCDs here from the US, additionally:

2) the chinese VCDs DO work in my TV's DVD player

are there different VCD/mpeg encoding algorithms? is that what i am running into?

the bottom line is: how can i get my comp to play the chinese VCDs?

if you need more technical info about my system, just ask, i'll provide what's needed. :blink:

Edited by nousername (see edit history)

Can you read the VCD's on your PC to see what files are on the disk? Try double-clicking on Avseq*.dat files in the Mpegav directory.

I was going to say PAL vs. NTSC, but it doesn't sound like that's it since they play on your TV, unless the player converts PAL to NTSC.

Bottom line - they should work. There is no region encoding, or special MPEG encoding for Chinese VCD's.

Maybe it is that they are PAL - I just put a Chinese VCD in my TV DVD player. It tells me it's a PAL VCD and converts it.

If you are able to play it but garbled, try using a different software player that will handle the PAL format.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Then I think the hardware (PC DVD drive) just can't read it for some reason (head alignment??). Try a different drive (a different PC?)

If you can't get the directory information, then its just not reading anything - it's not a encoding or data or anything else problem.

ok, i'm a moron... there are 2 other drives in house, and i didn't try them. :blink:

and, lo and behold, the VCDs work in the other drives. so... guess the problem is not the VCDs but my drive... does anyone know, can i fix it? ... that's probably more difficult and more expensive that buying a new one. i think it's still new enought that i can just send it back for a replacement... probably my best option?

thanks for the help randy.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I had the same problem. I bought software in China and couldn't play them on my pc at home. Turns out there is special software out there that you can either purchase, or if you carefully search can find for free that will play it.....

;)

What Software is being used on those other PC's? It may just mean that you may need to chang the software to view ie: Creative Power DVD Pro or of the alike. ;)

164715[/snapback]

well, i think the main problem was that my drive wouldn't even read the VCD. i cannot even view the files on the disc. i now suspect it's just that the drive is bad... i mentioned earlier that the VCDs DO work in other drives.

BUT, if it merely a matter of having the right software, that'd be better. i usually use winamp or window media player to play stuff like this.

is this software you mention freeware or shareware? if not, do you have other suggestions?

Guest ShaQuaNew
well, i think the main problem was that my drive wouldn't even read the VCD. i cannot even view the files on the disc. i now suspect it's just that the drive is bad... i mentioned earlier that the VCDs DO work in other drives.

BUT, if it merely a matter of having the right software, that'd be better. i usually use winamp or window media player to play stuff like this.

is this software you mention freeware or shareware? if not, do you have other suggestions?

164751[/snapback]

Again, you can search the NET for software that will read the VCD. I found it for free, or you can also buy it.

This isn't an issue with software, format, or copy protection. The drive will NOT read the disc! I have a fairly new DVD-R drive that refuses to read certain CD-R media for whatever reason. I have an older and slower CD-R drive in the same machine that reads any CDR I throw at it. It is probably a disc manufactured with some uncommon dye and the DVD drive simply can't adjust it's laser to read the disc's data.

Since you CAN read the disc on other machines, why not just copy the disc contents to your harddrive and burn a new VCD using some media that you know your DVD drive can read? This is much easier and less expensive than trying to upgrade/repair/replace hardware.

VCD Easy (http://www.vcdeasy.org/) is a pretty good VCD authoring package, though it's not free anymore. I might still have the install files from the freeware version if you need them...

Edited by tonymasiello (see edit history)
What Software is being used on those other PC's? It may just mean that you may need to chang the software to view ie: Creative Power DVD Pro or of the alike. ;)

164715[/snapback]

164751[/snapback]

The drive is probably not bad. There are several formats out there, much like the VHS and Beta versions on tape systems. One drive generally can not read the other, unless it is made for multi-format discs.

Your DVD drive is most likely an earlier version and can only read DVD/CD US format. Keep this in mind when purchasing new drives. Always look for systems that are set to read multi-format as the US is set for one format and the rest of the world is using the other.

I recently bought a DVD for my SO. I took a Chinese VCD into the store and told the clerk what I needed to accomplish. He was well aware of the different formats and helped me buy the best system for long term use of US and Chinese videos.

Yes - there are underlying formats that are different. l remember when the photo CD's came out, they came out with new PC CD players that were able to read the photo CD's, while the older ones could not. ??This even though the file system appeared to be the PC file system.??But I think the VCD format is compatible, and your drive should be able to read it, so my vote is for a new drive, or , like someone already suggested, burn new CD's that are compatible. I think you can do this by simply copying the files to a hard drive and burning them as data files (with the same directory structure).

164715[/snapback]

164751[/snapback]

The drive is probably not bad. There are several formats out there, much like the VHS and Beta versions on tape systems. One drive generally can not read the other, unless it is made for multi-format discs.

Your DVD drive is most likely an earlier version and can only read DVD/CD US format. Keep this in mind when purchasing new drives. Always look for systems that are set to read multi-format as the US is set for one format and the rest of the world is using the other.

I recently bought a DVD for my SO. I took a Chinese VCD into the store and told the clerk what I needed to accomplish. He was well aware of the different formats and helped me buy the best system for long term use of US and Chinese videos.

164778[/snapback]

i guess i feel the drive is bad... the drive in question is "newer" lite-on drive (link given in my first post) and does support VCD decoding, but i cannot play the VCD. i also have an older lite-on drive that WILL play the VCD. ??? so i do think it's the drive.

i may try re-burning the discs, but i'd rather get a drive that just works... eventually, i am going to try to replace it.

thanks for the input everyone.