Non-christian

Christianity is a hot topic these days on CFL. Even though I don't agree that people should be divided up into two distinct categories, but I can see from the previous posts that such a division does exist. Thus, as a non-christian Chinese woman, and not-likely-going-to-be-one, I am curious to know what is your opinion upon us non-christians.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
Christianity is a hot topic these days on CFL.  Even though I don't agree that people should be divided up into two distinct categories, but  I can see from the previous posts that such a division does exist.  Thus, as a non-christian Chinese woman, and not-likely-going-to-be-one, I am curious to know what is your opinion upon us non-christians.

163715[/snapback]

Joanne, I can see this will be a topic of interest to some, but rest assured that the US is NOT a nation of christians. I personally do NOT subscribe to their beliefs and rarely socialize with those that have strong religious beliefs as we have little in common.

I hope one of the moderators will step in and perhaps post a few words regarding religious topics being inappropriate here. Because there is a wide array of opions regarding it, it would probably be best to PM the person.....

I'll have to disagree with you Jesse. Although I'm not fond of religion being discussed in the forums as it will likley lead to problems, I can see the relevance as it pertains to the non-Christian SOs of some of our Christian brethren.

I would ask that everyone be very sensitive to others personal beliefs.

don and the others may disagree???

Guest ShaQuaNew

Trigg,

I'm not saying that we should not allow any discussion relating to religion, but just those that begin going into sensitive areas in the same way we handle issues relating to politics.

We are all very careful not to bash one political party or ideology of another and everyone pretty much knows when the line is crossed on the topic.

As long as it pertains to cultral differences or Chinese spouses adjusting to the US I think it is a very real and pertinent issue. I see no need to pull the plug on it as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Joanne I am very interested in your views on this matter.

To answer your original question Joanne. since I am not a Christian myself nor is my wife there is no conflict. She has her own concept of god and so do I but it isn't an important part of our relationship. The topic seldom comes up.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

As a person who has faced religious persecution in this country most of my life, I think the discussion is of great value. For most of CFL petitioners you are for the first time becoming a minority in a country you grew up in as a majority. Luckily things have changed in the past 30 years and you may or may not be exposed to problems as a result.

Open discussion with the purpose of learning should always be encouraged. So far this seems to be staying in that frame work. CFL is a diverse family and it is good to explore those differences. Especially when they help to understand the love of our life. My only current goal is to see that she is happy.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Open discussion with the purpose of learning should always be encouraged. So far this seems to be staying in that frame work. CFL is a diverse family and it is good to explore those differences. Especially when they help to understand the love of our life. My only current goal is to see that she is happy.

163751[/snapback]

I agree, as long as it remains within a reasonable framework. I PM'd and had a nice discussion with Joanne.

:D

Christianity is a hot topic these days on CFL.  Even though I don't agree that people should be divided up into two distinct categories, but  I can see from the previous posts that such a division does exist.

163715[/snapback]

I think it is a good topic, but difficult to really discuss.. if someone truly doesn't like non-christians (or the reverse), it would be hard to fully express it...

But, I think that the idea of 'distinction and division' is both good and bad... I mean, if someone says they are a certain denomination I will quickly understand their beliefs.. but may also quickly realize it is a set of beliefs I don't agree and like and could get in the way.

Even when I was completely absorbed with christianity, i refused to claim allegiance to a church or denomination. Now that my views are a mix of east and west, I prefer the non-distinction based ideas of eastern philosophy.

I prefer to see us all as part of one family on this globe seeking harmony and balance in all things. So, to borrow from the east, I see you as mm, sister...

Guest ShaQuaNew

I am quite impressed with Joanne's open mind on this topic and desire to learn more. Her study of physics puts her in a rather unique category in that she knows the physical laws of the universe from an evidentiary and mathematical perspective.

Truth is there is more opposition in this country toward those that either believe in christianity and those that do not than I ever remember.....

Joanne, I think of non-Christians in the same manner that I think of all people. And religion would never be a factor in what I think of them.. People are people no matter what religion or color or nationality. But then again, I am not a Christian.

I think that most of us who found a love in China knew the religious atmosphere there and knew what they were getting into. There is no reason two people in the same family cannot practice their own religion.

I hope everyone gets this straight before marriage.

I am curious to know what is your opinion upon us non-christians.

163715[/snapback]

I guess I don't have an opinion of non-Christians per se.

My interaction with you, or anyone else, would be conditioned by things such as your personality, you attitude toward me, the conditions framing our interaction, etc. Unless you wore your non-Christianity on your sleeve it wouldn't even be a factor in typical interactions.

At present I work mostly with Muslims in the Middle East. I react to them as people ... individuals with their own personality and attitudes. Occasionally we even discuss religion. I've never had a problem with them in this area.

To use a typical Chinese expression, a "good heart" is what is important.