Am I the Only One?

You would need a co-sponsor for sure if you've been living in China. Unless you had a very good job. and assets in the US.

Jocelyn, it's not really that huge a deal - usually - but you should be prepared. I also sent emails and all kidns of anything that showed I'm still "tied" to the US. Backfiling tax returns might help too. But I'm not even sure if they even looked at all that.

Sisters, thanks for the advices. About the evidence to prove my tie to the US, could the birthday card that my parents sent me be one? How about the emails from my parents/brother/friends? I don't know where to dig out my bank statements or phone bills etc since I've moved to China for more than 2 years.

Hmm, I'm not sure if a birthday card is really definitive proof of ties to the US.

Here are some other things I can think of off the top of my head (in no particular order):

--> plane tickets from trips to the US visiting family/friends

--> e-mails to family members discussing trips back home to the US

--> US insurance policy papers

--> US driver's license

--> Affidavit from parents/family members attesting to the fact that your permanent residence is at X address in the US and that this is where you and your SO will live

Also check out this old thread from Beijingjenny