Does my SO need to have a Chinese Passport?

My process is a long ways from the point she is getting on an airplane, but that is the best time to ask these kinds of questions, right?

We are doing a K-3. Ultimately she is either going to have a K-3 visa in hand or the CR-1/IR-1 visa in hand. Will she also need to have a Chinese Passport in order to leave China? Will she need one to board an airplane?

I fully intend to be on the same flight as she is, barring any unforeseen circumstances, so it'd be doubly good to know that we'll have all the right documents in hand...

Thanks!

Mercator

K# visa holders get a P3 which includes the OF-169... this 'checklist' has on it the statement that she needs a [chinese] passport valid for travel to the US and with at least six months validity beyond the issuance date.

For CR1, I am not sure what paperwork alerts you to get the passport, if you do not already have it.

I recall someone stating in the past needing to show a reason for getting the passport (but don't remember what they showed). But it seems in most cases, a 'proven reason' is not needed to be presented...