Christianity and Chinese

I was looking at the Greensboro Chinese Association website [ http://www.triadchinese.net/] this morning. They have some kind of a church service today and tomorrow. I thought it might be a good idea to attend. It might be a chance for Hui to meet some girls her age and at least, they could email each other. And it might even be good for my wife. She could possibly meet someone. This was my thinking anyaways. I wouldn't mind at all to go just for curiositys sake.

So I brought it up to my wife. She was reluctant in wanting to go but she is docile enough to go if I wanted to. She said she would go if I wanted to. "It's not for me but for you and Hui.", I said, "It could be a chance to meet other Chinese people in the area."

First she said, "I don't have a job."

We've been looking for a job for my wife. That is my top priority right now and I tell her one will turn up. We just have to give it time. I get the feeling that she is a bit ashamed of not working. This is a Chinese thing, I know, because she's afraid to talk to her family because they say things about her not working.

I told her not to worry about that. I said that there are probably others there that are in the same position as you.

After that she said, " These Chinese go to church. They read the bible and believe in the God." "I don't.", she further said, "What will I have in common with them?"

Well, she trumped my cards!...lol. End of discussion.

I can respect that. She was not raised a christian as I was. That's not saying that I'm an overly religous person because I'm not. I was raised as a christian however, and I have belief in the faith.

I guess this is one of them, "East meets West" moments!...lol.

Anyways, I'll keep searching for the way to eternal bliss for my family!...

BTW, the county is having their "Apple Dumpling" Festival today!! hhhmmmm dawggie! Let me take 'em to do some a pick'n and a grinn'n at the hoedown!!! hhhmmm dawggie!... :D :D ;)

She might also be surprised to find that some other chinese there were not raised as a christian either...

I'd encourage it once, to check it out.. maybe they might have other services or offerings and you can talk to someone in person.

---

I have talked to Zixuan a few times about religion & philosophy... specifically the east-west thing... She once told me a curious saying that went something like this: "Believe in man, no god; for man lives with you; walks with you; eats with you..."

My girl was raised christian in China. She's been since she was 8 years old. I'm very glad for that actually.

Think how good the world would be if everyone was Buddist.

I'm guessing religious wars on this forums is probably not a place we want to go.

Having different views of religions beliefs within a marriage is a risk. I would advise any couple to seriously consider this issue before marriage.

I hope you saved an Apple Dumpling for me. When I was a kid any really good diner made them. Now they are impossible to find. They are way better than pie too. 7 11 recently had a thing they called Apple Blossom which was a mini dumpling. I was getting one every day after work. Then they discontinued them :rolleyes:

I don't attend church nor am I a Christian so it is a non issue for my wife and I. I do know a couple who goes to one of the local Chinese Christian churches here in Porltland. From what they tell me it sounds like it is more of a social event than religious one. many of the people go to visit with other Chinese friends.

Is there a Chinese Cultural society there? The one here in Portand has many events and get togethers. Bing was going to a Chinese traditional dance thing for a long time. It was good exercise for her and she was able to make friends with some other Chinese women.

My SO belongs to no religion. Luckily, neither do I! Although, she is very friendly and happy, she is suspicious of the religious people who visit our house unannounced. She doesn't open the door but watches them through the blinds and waits for them to go away. I have seen her do this! They know that she is new to the USA (3 1/2 months) and I think that they believe that they will get extra points if they can bring her to church!

She has a strong sense of what is right and wrong and loves security in the form of family and money! She does believe in ghosts and does seem to have a few superstitions. I think she makes them up as she goes along!

She loves Wal-Mart because they gave her a job! I have never seen anyone so happy as her when they offered her a job. She was so happy, in fact, that even the hardened veteran workers were amused! She will be loyal to Wal-Mart until the end of time.

She is happy in America. I have this sneaking suspicion that Guangxi, China was a terrifying place to live between 1967 and the early 1970's. Just a thought. No wonder she doesn't open doors to strangers who come unannounced!

Rupert

I have talked to Zixuan a few times about religion & philosophy... specifically the east-west thing... She once told me a curious saying that went something like this: "Believe in man, no god; for man lives with you; walks with you; eats with you..."

David, I think she is on to something. But why is it curious?

As most of you know, I was seriously ill last year. I was not a believer in any religion when I went in the hospital and I still feel the same way. I was close to death but not close enough to see the light and the tunnel which I have always believed is just the eyes shutting down. I think this is the point when many people have a religious experience. It did not happen to me.

However, I did have other experiences that were very hard to understand (I still don't). Have I begun believe in ghosts? Maybe. Do I think pyramids have magical properties? Pretty sure. This has encouraged me to have a more open mind and not be so quick to deride an idea.

In fact, the best religion I have found is meditation- get inside yourself and keep a good house inside both body and mind. Just don't get involved with one belief and ignore all others.

This may be off topic but I hate to waste it!

David, I think she is on to something. But why  is it curious?

As most of you know, I was seriously ill last year. I was not a believer in any religion when I went in the hospital and I still feel the same way. I was close to death but not close enough to see the light and the tunnel which I have always believed is just the eyes shutting down. I think this is the point when many people have a religious experience. It did not happen to me.

However, I did have other experiences that were very hard to understand (I still don't). Have I begun believe in ghosts?  Maybe. Do I think pyramids have magical properties? Pretty sure. This has encouraged me to have a more open mind and not be so quick to deride an idea.

In fact, the best religion I have found is meditation-  get inside yourself and keep a good house inside both body and mind. Just don't get involved with one belief and ignore all others.

This may be off topic but I hate to waste it!

162823[/snapback]

curious because it was a little unexpected (ie: statement appears anti-god) .. yet a living and practical idea... So it drew my interest even deeper into the eastern way...