Parents or parent (Mom or Dad) for visit

My So would like to have her parents come for a visit to help her after the baby comes. Due Feb 1st.

1. Since this would be the reason for the visit would it be easier to get a visa to visit? Also how long would this visa be good for and could it be extended if necessary?

2. Would it be possible for both or are we biting off more than we can chew?

3. What is the way to get them a visa? I am guessing they must apply in China, but her parents would not know how to apply. Is there any reputable visa service in China who could provide them help for a reasonable fee?

There are recent threads on this that will give you specific information - send them a letter of invitation. They will contact their local embassy/'consulate to apply for a B2 visa. They will need to prove they are financially able to make the trip, and show strong enough ties to China to ensure there return - other children, a home, job,etc.

The visa is good for six months. I have heard that you do NOT want to extand it, since that may make it more difficult to get another one.

It is only for specific relatives - parents, but not siblings maybe.

I'll try to find one of the threads and post a link.

US Embassy B1/B2

the Voice of experience

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I am convinced that the only way Mom or Dad can get a tourist visa is if they have another child in China.

They need to convince the VO that they have strong ties to China( like the Mexicans have to show that they have strong ties to Mexico.)

Really, they need to show income, property and anything else that shows they would be stupid to stay in the US.

The first time we tried to get both of them visas. The second time, just her as we figured that leaving a spouse in China would help. Next time we will try for her again but make a big list of her ties to China.

Yikes!!!

There is already a host of potentially misleading information here.

I am talking from experience, since my wife's mom and dad got B2 visas. Here is what *WE* learned:

1. They have no other childern in China, and it is OK, they still got their visas.

2. DO NOT MENTION THAT A CHILD IS ON THE WAY AND THAT IS WHY THEY ARE COMING, everyone else that same day who interviewed and mentioned this was denied. Possible coincidence, but I doubt it.

3. One parent works and the other is retired. Having a job seemed to help immensely, especially when accompanied with a letter on company work-stationary for a large government run company.

4. Do not ask to extend the visa, unless you want their future visa requests deined...but you can always go to Mexico and come back. However, DO NOT STAY MORE THAN 180 days in total in the US in any given calendar year.

6. They went to the interview with a i-134 signed by my wife and I.

7. They brought tons of pictures of us together, as well as my family with my wife's parents when my family went to China. They were specifically questioned about who I was and who my father was.

8. We gave a DETAILED LIST of where we would be when. We even included how we plan to go from one place to another: eg: take the blah blah train at this time from this city to this city.

---

Has anyone else had any experiences?

They brought tons of pictures of us together, as well as my family with my wife's parents when my family went to China. They were specifically questioned about who I was and who my father was.

My mother in law received a 3 month visa in September 2005.

My mother in law also brought in many pictures, and the VO examined the pictures closely and questioned her on dates and locations the pictures were taken.

The VO read the invitation letter carefully, but not sure if he examined the i134..

This was her first attempt at a tourist visa to the US.

She was retired a retired school teacher.

she has no children in China.

She brought over property deeds for apartment and small business.

Edited by john90 (see edit history)