Chinese spouse changing her name....

I find it very hard to beleive that changing ones names legally has any effect on a chinese woman being able to return to China! I would like to see what evidence you have of this.

But also please note: In my initial question, I was asking "Chinese women" to comment on this topic! Read my question again. I wanted to hear the opinions of other Chinese women - I wasn't asking for the opinion of the American husbands. Therefore I was asking the women - not the men - what they prefer - so I could better satisfy my wifes request when the topic comes up in the US.

I'm sorry this turned into a can of worms - But it was a legitimate question asked of the correct person for opinions only!

Again - I would love to hear the details of how this has actually hurt a Chinese woman in any way!!!

Peace Everybody!

The case applies for people who have given up their Chinese Citizenship (hence taken a US Citizenship).

Then, if they want to go back to China, their old passport is gone, and they can not verify their old citizenship easily, since they likely do not have any valid documents showing their legal name that are recognizable to the gov't officials.

---

On a side note: my wife and I have asked many Chinese women on this, and 100% of those asked, from her city, respond that they would only get mad if a man asked them to change their last name.

However, China is a country of huge diversity, and it could be that Southern Chinese (where statistically most of the GC hunters come from) could be more open to the idea, where as being from the North, we do not see that and instead only see the reverse).

In Hong Kong the custom is for the woman to take the husbands name so perhaps southern women are more open to the idea. I do know of northern women who take the husbands name though. Green card hunters come from all over China. It just seems that most of them come from the south only because the vast majority of women marrying foreign men come from the south. Enough said, now lets get the topic back on track.

You might try posting this in the Chinese forum m-coon.

I tend to side with some points of Lele.. but I'm getting :D

I asked Zixuan tonight some questions... She said in her area of the northeast, women keep their name.. and going back in history only certain reasons did the woman change.

I asked her what she would think or feel if I wanted her to change her last name to mine (we never planned to do this), and she said, "whatever you want"...

I now have to explain to her that I don't really want her to change it.. and then explain that I am not waffling with my thinking.. and that I am not second quessing myself... :blink: