cooking things...

When I was in shanghai last week I noticed that the department stores had these single element portable halogen units for flat bottomed woks.

Anyways, I found this one online which I think works 110V/60Hz:

http://www.everythinghome.com/de16habufahe.html

With my background I would strongly prefer to have electric disc burners on my stove (also know as euro burners) which makes the stovetop totally sealed, but of course don't heat up fast enough for what she will want. Sadly they don't seem to make these types of stoves in the US anymore and I really really really don't want to toss out my 100+ yro cast iron cook stuff.

Also at carrefour I saw a smokeless wok on display for pretty expensive... 270RMB. I don't remember the manufacturer, but it's non stock with a circle/hole pattern on the inside of the wok. I wonder if these are any good, as I really don't want to get a lot of oil splash and smoke everywhere in the house.

Update: I see these new fangled "induction element" thingies which look safer than the halogen ones:

http://www.atrendyhome.com/inco.html

Edited by bnolsen (see edit history)
When I was in shanghai last week I noticed that the department stores had these single element portable halogen units for flat bottomed woks.

With my background I would strongly prefer to have electric disc burners on my stove (also know as euro burners) which makes the stovetop totally sealed, but of course don't heat up fast enough for what she will want.  Sadly they don't seem to make these types of stoves in the US anymore and I really really really don't want to toss out my 100+ yro cast iron cook stuff.

Also at carrefour I saw a smokeless wok on display for pretty expensive... 270RMB.  I don't remember the manufacturer, but it's non stock with a circle/hole pattern on the inside of the wok.  I wonder if these are any good, as I really don't want to get a lot of oil splash and smoke everywhere in the house.

Update:  I see these new fangled "induction element" thingies which look safer than the halogen ones:

159797[/snapback]

If you have go electric then so be it, but nothing will ever replace gas as far as cooking with a wok and for the most part other styles of cooking.

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

With my background I would strongly prefer to have electric disc burners on my stove (also know as euro burners) which makes the stovetop totally sealed, but of course don't heat up fast enough for what she will want.  Sadly they don't seem to make these types of stoves in the US anymore and I really really really don't want to toss out my 100+ yro cast iron cook stuff.

Also at carrefour I saw a smokeless wok on display for pretty expensive... 270RMB.  I don't remember the manufacturer, but it's non stock with a circle/hole pattern on the inside of the wok.  I wonder if these are any good, as I really don't want to get a lot of oil splash and smoke everywhere in the house.

Update:  I see these new fangled "induction element" thingies which look safer than the halogen ones:

159797[/snapback]

If you have go electric then so be it, but nothing will ever replace gas as far as cooking with a wok and for the most part other styles of cooking.

159878[/snapback]

you're right Mike.... one of these days I will tell the story about when my dad replaced our wood burning stove with an electric one........

Gas cooking can't be beat for variety of cooking and controlling the heat. The induction cook top changes temp fast, but can't high temp enough to sear and brown properly. Veggies stir fried at lower temps lose their water and then everything boils or steams. It doesn't caramelize which is what gives things the good flavor.

Gas cooking can't be beat for variety of cooking and controlling the heat. The induction cook top changes temp fast, but can't high temp enough to sear and brown properly. Veggies stir fried at lower temps lose their water and then everything boils or steams. It doesn't caramelize which is what gives things the good flavor.

161753[/snapback]

All right, gas it is then...

I've read that normal US gas burners don't have what it takes to pump up the heat properly? Any suggestions what to do?

Should we have a FAQ or some thread with suggestions about how to properly set up a kitchen for her use?

OK guys ... let's get practical. Many homes in the US are not equipped with gas stoves. I doubt it is practicable to switch. My flat bottom wok works OK on my eletric stove. We don't need to necessarily recreate China in the US.

I believe the focus should be on blend and assimilate.

(OK, hit me with a mopu) :unsure:

My SO bought a single burner unit in China to bring with her in her luggage. Made by a company called "Vantage". I hooked up a 5 gallon propane tank to it and she has cooked on it for the last four months twice a day, and I have yet to change the bottle. It sits on top of the stove taking the place of the right side burners. Although I have gas to the house, I decided to use a seperate tank for this burner, that way we take it outside to cook as well when it is nice. It looks like it will last another week. I am impressed with it, and how hot the food stays after she cooks with it. I thought for a while perhaps I should just get rid of the gas stove, since it can not compete with the obvious efficiency. Then I thought about the oven and said maybe we should keep it to bake things like bread. She said we should keep it, but that cooking bread on the burner is not a problem either.

If only all gas stoves were as good as this one, which was low cost. It gets so hot, the inner metal ring is sagging ( She says this its only there to provide additional heat). I plan to smelt the computer down on it for the gold. I figure it should take less than 15 minutes.