Canton Trade Fair

pkfops

Just a quick note for those who have interviews in the latter half of Oct.

The Canton Trade Fair will be on.

Hotel prices will jump through the roof so you should get ready for that.

May see long lines at customs too if you use GZ as POE.

Keep an eye on the cabbies to as they my think you are there for the Fair. $$$$$$

Just a quick note for those who have interviews in the latter half of Oct.

The Canton Trade Fair will be on.

Hotel prices will jump through the roof so you should get ready for that.

May see long lines at customs too if you use GZ as POE.

Keep an eye on the cabbies to as they my think you are there for the Fair.   $$$$$$

157844[/snapback]

Ditto! We were there in the middle of the fair last year (Oct-21-04 interview), and hotels prices were out of control. Way more than double! If I remember correctly, most "regular" hotel prices were up by about 5x from normal?? We ended up paying 500 RMB per night for a roach motel that normally charged 135 RMB per night. And we were glad to get it!! :cheering:

Edited by Jim - Portland, USA (see edit history)

They do know how to make money and take advantage of people. They sounds so sleezy. You should have brought a can of Raid to terminate the vermin at the roach motel. We probably won't have any choice either and will have to pay what they want to charge. My SO's in GUZ right now for the exam at the end of the week but more important to reserve a room for the 19th of October.

• 3 weeks later...

The Conch hotel in Yingde is very nice (4 stars in China), very inexpensive, and they'd be happy to have you (never saw too many other guests). Yingde gets you out of GZ, but sometimes its not a bad thing. A few natural things to see in and around Yingde (not alot, its a smaller town (only 100k or so)), and the train ride from GZ-East (or north) is pretty nice, up along the river. Pay the extra for the 'good' train and its like 90 minutes.

Gets you into the 'real' China in a hurry. Probably some nice hotels in Qingyuan as well, and Qingyuan is only 30 minutes out of GZ, and more like a smaller version of GZ.

Edited by mercator (see edit history)

When you have an interview at 7:15 and have to get up extra early to travel, what type of shape will your SO be in? You know they'll be nervous already! I decided to make her book a hotel nearby no matter what the cost the day before the interview. After the interview she can stay where ever she pleases.