Visa Petitioner....

Guest ShaQuaNew

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that in the case of convicted sex offenders the key word here is "bonafide intent to marry". In Harold Bairds case for instance one could argue that he could and should have been denied based on his real intent being to molest the minor child. VOs have wide discretion in these matters. At the very least Jany should have been informed of his criminal past.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Jesse,

In the USCIS site that you posted previously,

http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/repsstudies/Mobappa.htm

the last 3 paragraphs mention this briefly:

Recommendations

Current INS rules and policies seem well intentioned in that they allow U.S. citizens and permanent residents to marry and bring to this country alien spouses while providing some safeguards against abuse and fraud.

The existing problems that appear to require some attention involve abuse. On the one hand, the potential husbands might need to be screened. As Sumiko Hennessy, executive director of the Asian Pacific Development Center (anon., 1996), notes, "What you have are older men, people with three divorces, alcohol problems . . .," some of whom have a history of "domestic abuse or problems with the law." To this end, I would strongly recommend that Uma Narayan (Narayan, 1995) be consulted before any new legislation focused on abuse and/or fraud is considered.

At the very least, alien spouses should be informed of their rights and be given names, addresses, and telephone numbers of agencies they may consult if they face difficulties in the marriage, agencies such as: Legal Aid for Abused Women and Children (703) 820-8393; AYUDA (202) 387-4848; National Coalition Against Trafficking in Women (814) 685-1447; NOW (707) 255-2516; and the Asian Pacific Development Center (303) 220-3398.

156477[/snapback]

But that's a funded story that deals with old men that have had more than one marriage, who have problems with US women, and are looking for a lady to control that is much younger and more naive than they are.... :P

the totality of that funded story expressed in the fine print, and for the more subtely-minded remember there are indeed man-hating organizations out there as evidenced in the red highlighting.... :P

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
It seems to me that in the case of convicted sex offenders the key word here is "bonafide intent to marry".  In Harold Bairds case for instance one could argue that he could and should have been denied based on his real intent being to molest the minor child.  VOs have wide discretion in these matters.  At the very least Jany should have been informed of his criminal past.

156481[/snapback]

Carl, it would be nice to be able to catch someone with that intent, but our US system currently does NOT allow for law enforcement or the powers that be to speculate by denial what might happen. After the fact one could speculate that is that man's case that he wanted to do bad things to a poor defenseless child. The problem is that unless there is a clearly stipulated provision that prohibits someone from partaking in some activity that is deemed partcipable by all US citizens, then by order of the US constitution no-one can be denied.

There are provisions for consumption of alcohol, there are provisions as to the ones to whom you can sell cigarettes, there are height restrictions as to who is tall enough to take an amusement park ride. But, there are no provisions that say a convicted felon may not participate or attend. Now, I'm being highly speculative here, as I'm not sure on this, but I cannot think of anything other than a national registry for sex offenders that makes anything unavialable to anyone with a prior conviction?

Now, I'm being highly speculative here, as I'm not sure on this, but I cannot think of anything other than a national registry for sex offenders that makes anything unavialable to anyone with a prior conviction?

156483[/snapback]

The registry would provide affected parties with the means to find out about the prior convictions, but a felony conviction is already on the record, and should be considered with the visa application. Perhaps a regulation or provision to that effect is required. It seems to me that sex offenders could easily and should be excluded from this type of visa application, simply be requiring the NVC to consider the offense.

I think all of us wish that the Chinese women who may wish an American husband would have that protection.

and Dennis, would you please change your avatar before dinnertime?? :D :P :P

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)