Chinese ID Card

Does my Fiancee need her Chinese ID card anymore for any paperwork or anything once shes here in the states? Im assuming her passport will do for anything that might require an ID...She cannot get her insurance refund till next month and wants to leave her ID card with a coworker to get the money once shes here. She said they wont mail it to her.

The ID card is not needed here. The passport with I-94 will serve although the ID card does give her a second form of identification that is sometimes required. She can lwabve it with the friend but will want it later for things such as passport renewal or other activities when in China.

Jingwen and the kids took their IDs with them when they came to the US. They aren't needed here, but we thought they might need them when they fly to China to visit. Jingwen has always tendered her ID (at the Chinese airports connecting to local flights, at ticket check-ins, etc.) I don't know whether her passport would have been sufficient.

It seems to obvious to me that the thing to do would be to leave it until she gets the refund and then mail it. Unless of course the refund is a negligible amount in the US. Wouldn't be worth the hassle for 100 yuan although I would wager that the most of our SOs would argue that point with me.

The refund is 1000.00 US  and we dont think that even a close friend can collect this from the bank with her ID card.. I told her she should speak to the Bank Manager about a money transfer to my bank.. She was so fustrated yesterday over this and will look into the matter agian today...

156177[/snapback]

Hopefully, the bank they might just deposit it for her and then she could reach out and get it with her ATM.

Hi folks a little confused.. We have a close Chinese lady friend who has been here for 5 years (she is from Shanghai) and has her green card and is very close to getting her US citizenship. We had a discussion one evening about traveling to China she told me that her China ID would have to be surrendered once she got US Citizenship.. Is this true?? I kinda thought that dual citizenship is allowed but according to her no..Maybe a US gov thing because we do not i.e USA does not allow so PRChina does not allow dual citizenship.. Anybody know for sure??

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/xw/t187211.htm

This is the Chinese governments position on dual citizenship.

It has been discussed before in threads. No dual citizenship and loss of all rights and benefits of the ID, citizeenship, Hukou etc is a reason many have thought about each spouse retaining their citizenship and each getting residency in the other's country. I think this gains the most advantages for the couple in both countries. It just requires annual trips back and forth which many do anyway.

Thanks dan

So if your SO does not get US citizenship but becomes a permanent resident with a renewal every 10 years they can retain their Chinese citizenship correct?

Our friend is going for the US citizenship and has told us she would give up her China ID when she returns,,she does go back every year but she wants the US citizenship.