Maybe it won't help... but it cant hurt?!

Hey look!! NOT a standardized letter!!! But an inventation to call my congresswoman's office!

E-mail received today...

Congresswoman Capito is in receipt of your email and asked that I get in touch with you. Please feel free to contact me at (304) 925-XXXX.

Thanks,

Mary-Margaret

Mary-Margaret Chandler

Office of Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito

4815 MacCorkle Ave., SE

Charleston, West Virginia 25304

Phone: (304) XXX-XXXX

Fax: (304) XXX-XXXX

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, looks pretty standardized to me . . . .

Your congresswoman is more responsive then most, but I doubt she will be able to help your case at all unless you have fallen behind the standard processing time frame.

But it can't hurt to try. If enough people complain, they might possibly be able to do something.

I would also contact the USCIS omsbudman. His department is specifically set up to deal with innefficiencies with the USCIS "system"

Good luck!

Hmmm, looks pretty standardized to me . . . .

Your congresswoman is more responsive then most, but I doubt she will be able to help your case at all unless you have fallen behind the standard processing time frame.

But it can't hurt to try. If enough people complain, they might possibly be able to do something.

I would also contact the USCIS omsbudman. His department is specifically set up to deal with innefficiencies with the USCIS "system"

Good luck!

155756[/snapback]

I have never heard of a omsbudman? Who is this and how do I contact them?

I called my Congresswoman's office today...

They had me fax them a...

PRIVACY ACT RELEASE FORM

As required by the Privacy Act of 1974, I authorize United States Representative Shelley

Moore Capito to obtain information from any federal government records regarding me in

connection with my ___________________ claim or problem.

...then said they would look into it.

Wonder how long I should give them before I start bugging them?

Guest ShaQuaNew

They appear to be working your case for you. Keep in mind that this is your Congressperson's duty to help you. This is precisely the sort of thing they are supposed to be doing for their constituents.

The release form is strictly a formality so you don't try to turn and sue them later by passing personal information about you to various government entities. It also gives them the right to intercede on your behalf.

You've got their committment in writing, so I am strongly inclined to think they will respond quickly. Given the track record on such things however I would not expect much as the Administrative and Security Review process is inpenentrable. Their standard answer is to keep echoing, "were looking at it. We will respond within six months."

But, please do keep us informed. You may have good luck with it

They appear to be working your case for you. Keep in mind that this is your Congressperson's duty to help you. This is precisely the sort of thing they are supposed to be doing for their constituents.

The release form is strictly a formality so you don't try to turn and sue them later by passing personal information about you to various government entities. It also gives them the right to intercede on your behalf.

You've got their committment in writing, so I am strongly inclined to think they will respond quickly. Given the track record on such things however I would not expect much as the Administrative and Security Review process is inpenentrable. Their standard answer is to keep echoing, "were looking at it. We will respond within six months."

But, please do keep us informed. You may have good luck with it

155886[/snapback]

Sha Qua New,

The only thing that gives me hope is that I met a nice couple through work. An infuencial couple... you know the husband is president of a local company and they are personal friends with my Congresswoman Mrs. Capito. They said they would speak with her on my behalf. I'm not sure if they have or not. My original e-mail from the congresswoman's office did say that Congresswoman Capito asked as specific lady from her office to call me. I don't know if this is standard practice or not. I will definately be following up with the couple that said they would help me later this week.

An ombudsman investigates reported complains made by individuals against abuses from public officials. I couldn't find any contact name or number as of yet.

155994[/snapback]

Here is the contact info and a report that will give you an idea of what they do:

Ombudsman

Write them a short, solid letter (presumably about how the long wait is an unreasonable burden on you and her). CC your reps in Congress--note that clearly on the bottom of the letter. Get someone to help you polish it and send it off. Wait a few days, then call them. I'm curious to hear what they say. Hope you will post the results.

Rough draft of my letter to the Ombudsman... any suggestions or criticisms would be appreciated.

CIS Ombudsman,

Per your encouragement I have a number of recommendations for improvement of the CR1 Visa process.

“Your recommendations are accepted and encouraged. The Ombudsman is dedicated to identifying systemic problems in the immigration benefits process and preparing recommendations for submission to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (““USCIS””) for process changes. The Ombudsman believes that process change recommendations from individuals like you represent one of the best sources for identifying systemic problems in the immigration benefits process.”

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/interapp/edit...torial_0501.xml

Recommendation #1

Consolidation

Have a single CR1 packet with all forms included*. I-130, G-325A, DS-3032, I-864, and DS-230. This could be prefaced with a single consolidated fee of $630. ($185 for I-130, $65 for I-864, and $380 for the DS-230).

Rationale:

• Save on postage from sending out forms separately.

• Save on fee processing time, only one fee as opposed to three.

• Save Call Center time - applicants would not have to inquire about the next step in the process, since their would only be one step.

• Decrease wait time for the United States Citizens waiting to be united with their family by eliminating the time associated with delivery and return of all forms and fees seperately.

* More efficient would be a consolidation of the 5 forms to a single CR1 application form - So much of the information is redundant.

Recommendation #2

Electronic Processing

Allow all the aforementioned forms to be completed online and sent electronically.

Allow fee(s) to be paid electronically.

Rationale:

• Paperless (Environmental friendly)

• Paperless (Lower cost)

• Decrease wait time for the United States Citizens waiting to be united with their family by eliminating the time associated with delivery and return of all paper forms and fees.

Recommendation #3

Security Check

Have the security check done at the beginning of the process. Do not wait until the petition is approved. Also, for applicant from countries that do not use a romanized alphabet, do the security check using the symbols of the native language as well as the romanized form. For example use a Chinese character search as well as searching for the name in Pinyin. Furthermore, cross reference the name with other relevant biographical data such as age, sex, geographic area.

Rationale:

• Will detect potential illegal or terrorist activity 3 - 24 months in advance.

• Name check cross reference would save resources and time. A 14 year old Ivan Ivanovich is most likely not the same possible 54 year old Ivan Ivonich with connection to a terrorist organization.

• Decrease wait time for the United States Citizens waiting to be united with their family by eliminating applicants who will eventually fail the security check after the petition process has been already been completed.

Recommendation #4

Interview

Eliminate the personal interview for qualified candidates. Setup online webcam interviews. Setup interviews using the corporate JIT (Just In Time) process - as interviewees are ready interview could take place. Setup auxiliary units to perform additional interviews to reduce/eliminate backlogs.

Rationale:

• Decrease wait time for the United States Citizens waiting to be united with their family by decreasing the number of interviews

• Web interviews would help with local embassy security - less people at the gates.

• Decrease wait time for the United States Citizens waiting to be united with their family by eliminating backlogs.

• Auxiliary units would allow more thorough interviews. Auxiliary unit elimination of backlogs would allow normal processors the ability to conduct more thorough interviewing and discovery.

Thank you for you consideration of proposed recommendations,

Jamison Shaffer

Guest ShaQuaNew

Again, I see that you are working REAL hard on this, but I just think that writing this letter is quite pre-mature. Don, and many others that have been on this site for a long time, have seen many do what you are attempting. You only started your process a few months ago. I see this action as having more chance to backfire for you rather than speeding the process.

There are approximately 1.3 billion people in China and close to 300 million people in the U.S., two of the world's largest countries. In view of the large number of immigrant visa applicants from China, DOS should either (1) increase the staffing needs of the Guangzhou Consulate or (2) let the other five U.S. consulates in China (including HK) share the processing of immigrant visa cases in their respective districts. Thus the time between P3 and P4 could be significantly shortened.

Again, I see that you are working REAL hard on this, but I just think that writing this letter is quite pre-mature. Don, and many others that have been on this site for a long time, have seen many do what you are attempting. You only started your process a few months ago. I see this action as having more chance to backfire for you rather than speeding the process.

156098[/snapback]

The letter doesn't ask for special treatment of his particular case. Do you think that needs to be made explicit?

Will they listen and explore at least one or two of his proposed recommendations? That depends on how many letters like this they get and whether or not the staffers in his Congressional representatives' offices follow up with the Omb's office on his behalf. If the Omb's office doesn't look into any one of his proposals, I bet they will at least provide some justification for their policies, which could be interesting.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Despite being inefficient, unfair, and unreliable the USCIS is NOT stupid. Well, maybe in some cases they are, but as one reads through their own studies you will find that they are keenly aware of most areas that require improvement, including those listed in this draft letter.

In years past I worked providing US government entities with a wide variety of "sensitive" documentation. In that time I met all manner and sorts working in the behind the scenes capacity. To be QUITE sure there is a DEEPLY entrenched network that does NOT like to have it's toes stepped upon. It's very difficult to hold anyone in a government job accountable because of this network, and it's virtually impossible to have them reprimanded or terminated.

Anyone that has seen government administation behind the scenes will tell you that the unspoken rule it to NOT MAKE WAVES. It's not NOW, never was, and doubtful will ever be operated like a business that knows it must make money or go out of business.

One can write this letter and have it hand-carried by someone who knows someone who will personally deliver it to someone. There is a pervasive perception that govenment officials will say what you want to hear, then do something else completely different? Why? Because it happened a few times. Once? Twice?

Thumping on the USCIS wall via government official could be likened to tapping on El Capitan with a tack hammer. Sure, you'll get a little noise, but you better make sure you're wearing your safety glasses.