My SO wishes to improve her English

Thomas, you don't say where your SO is right now, China or the US.

If she is in China you may be wise to find the best tutor you can and have intensive lessons for her. The reason I say this is because it will be difficult in most parts of the US to find ESL classes/tutors that also speak Mandarin/Cantonese. I don't know your SO's ability but if she's at the stage where some coaching in her first language is still benificial then study while she's still in China is a good choice.

If she is in China you may be wise to find the best tutor you can and have intensive lessons for her.  The reason I say this is because it will be difficult in most parts of the US to find ESL classes/tutors that also speak Mandarin/Cantonese.  I don't know your SO's ability but if she's at the stage where some coaching in her first language is still benificial then study while she's still in China is a good choice.

154956[/snapback]

My wife took ESL classes for 1 and half years in Boston. The instructors don't speak Chinese. It is better that they don't speak Chinese. She learns quicker that way.

If she is in China you may be wise to find the best tutor you can and have intensive lessons for her.0„2 The reason I say this is because it will be difficult in most parts of the US to find ESL classes/tutors that also speak Mandarin/Cantonese.0„2 I don't know your SO's ability but if she's at the stage where some coaching in her first language is still benificial then study while she's still in China is a good choice.

154956[/snapback]

In Houston, we have ESL Spanish classes less than half a mile away, and ESL Chinese around 5 miles away in Chinatown. The ESL Chinese is especially important if her English is weak (for example, she he him her them their are all 'ta' in Mandarin, same with tense). Check a nearby Chinatown, if you have one.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
:) My SO wishes to improve on her English speaking abilities. Does any one have any information on the best way to approach this. Ie, Private tutor, English classes, self help improvement. Also what is the approximate cost of the English lessons.

154953[/snapback]

Thomas I sent the email to my SO, hopefully we can get her together with SinoTexas's SO and they can help each other.

My wife is learning english from chinese TV. With Disnet we get the great wall package. One of the CCTV channels has English class for chinese evey morning. She tapes it and studies it. I used to think it would be great for her to speak english so we could talk more--Now i can't get her to shutup!!!

Some city's Board of Education offer free adult ESL classes for Chinese if there are enough Chinese in your area. There are private institutions that offer English classes. In the US BOE teacher's are licensed but private institutions can pretty much hire whom they want (depending on your hometown laws and if they get caught). I would check out the instructors (especially Chinese) in the private institutions before enrolling. You don't want to have to correct pronunciation and etc. while paying for the course.

If you take classes here or in China different places have different prices. Some charge by the week, month, or term. Some schools in China that charges by the term will give you the next term free if you have to repeat the course. Whether it's here or in China you usually have a choice of morning or evening classes. Most classes last for 1 1/2 to 3 hours. Most classes are not Monday thru Fridays (5 days). They may meet 3 days out of the week. Prices vary so much I won't touch this subject. The cheapest price I found was $35 per month but I wasn't thrilled about the instructors they hired. Most of them had accents.

If your wife is in the US, go to the your town's public library to sign up for a free-of-charge English tutor. The tutor could be Chinese if your town has a large Chinese population and if you request a Chinese one.

If your wife is in China, I hope the city she's living has YWCA as Guangzhou does. I'm teaching there. They normally meet twice a week, almost 2 hours per class, the course lasts 16 weeks. They charge from 200 to 400 RMB each course depending on the course level.

Many churches have ESL here. Different days, both day and night. They are free and some will even provide transportation.

In China I bought Yue "Family Albumn USA" VCD series for about 180 RMB for each of two sets of 20 or so VCDs. There are books that go with them, but I forget what they cost. She picked some more books, CDs and such along the way. I also sent her the Pimselur CDs for Cantonese speakers. These are highly regarded, but I couldn't get her to take much interest in these. Damn shame since they cost me almost $200 delivered.

Tutors in China. Be carefull. There are some manipulators out there. Ther more she can learn on her own, the better.

:) My SO wishes to improve on her English speaking abilities. Does any one have any information on the best way to approach this. Ie, Private tutor, English classes, self help improvement. Also what is the approximate cost of the English lessons.

154953[/snapback]

:) My SO still lives in China and as I mentioned she wishes to improve on her English so we can communicate better ans she will be able to adjust better after she comes her to America. (My Chinese also needs a 911)

Her and myself have looked into the cost of the English Classes in Fushun,China and we have been quoted as high as $900.00 :D for these courses. I personally think this is sort of high. I also know that you get what you pay for in life but I also want to recieve the value for the money I will invest. Any help on this Subject?

To put some perspective on my situation... my SO did not speak any english at our first meeting, a year ago. Between my first and second trip, her english minimally improved because she did not really pursue anything.

But for my second trip, I went there for two months and this is easily the most effective manner for anyone to learn, to talk english 24x7; and also the least likely available approach for most (to go for such an extended time). But this did jump start her to getting the courage to take on english classes after I left.

In the period between my second and third, she did a combination of self study books/VCD, home tutor (20 yuan/hour) and classroom (15 yuan/hour and half).

Here is her recommendation:

1) Must have VCDs at home to study on own and to hear english often and can listen again and again.

2) The private tutor is preferred over classes for two reasons:

a. One-on-one allows for questions more easily than class (because you stop the class instruction and everyone waits)

b. You can pick the private tutor.. if you don't like him/her, get another one.

She did not like the first two private tutors since they wanted to do a lot of work out of the book (reading).. the third tutor used 'conversation' learning approach and this was better for her.

She recommends these books/VCDs:

1. New Concept English Part 1 and 2 (a part 3 & 4 exists and was too advanced for her); you can buy cassette tapes or VCDs. My SO preferred the tapes.

2. Family Album series;

3. Action English w/ 8 DVDs (98 yuan) (aka. American Slang)