POINT OF ENTRY..NEWARK NEW JERSEY

Guest ShaQuaNew

But hey, even though you are speaking loudly now she should have NO problem. Major airports routinely staff personal at key entry points with those that speak a variety of languages. If someone asks her a question and they are unable to communicate, they can quickly find someone that can. Don't worry, you will be fine....and so will she...

MY FIANCEE IS PROBABLY ARRIVING NEXT MONTH WITH HER K1 VISA IN NEWARK, NEW JERSEY. SHE SPEAKS VERY LITTLE ENGLISH. I WILL BE THERE WHEN SHE ARRIVES BUT I AM CONCERNED SHE MAY HAVE TROUBLE GETTING THROUGH CUSTOMS. DO THE OFFICIALS SPEAK CHINESE? HOW IS THIS PROBLEM ADDRESSED? THANKS

154326[/snapback]

After boarding, she can make friends with some Chinese ladies who can speak English. Time will pass more quickly and she will find it easier to have a translator close by. Just my 2 cents :-)

Shouldn't be a problem, the Customs person will recognize the K-1, review her declarations, and probably pass her through, or if there is communication problem, they will bring in translator.... don't worry!! Just enjoy your new life when she gets here!!!

Guest ShaQuaNew
I don't think English will be a problem.

Trying to find someone who speaks Joiseyese might be! :lol:

They asked my wife very few questions and she got through!

Good luck!

154398[/snapback]

Joiseyeese...

* Hey, are yoose guys all tagedder?

* How yadoin?

* Bada Bing

If she is arriving in Newark, she must be on Continental. I went through 3 times, and my wife 2 times on her own. Believe it or not, they were pretty understanding.

Her only issue was the Sichuan peppercorns. They confiscated them the 1st time, but not the 2nd :clapping:

Houston is much worse than Newark, rest assured.

We came through SFO Tuesday with no problems, but a K1 girl in front of us from the Phillipines had a little trouble. The Officer asked for her sealed envelope (which she had in her bag) but she didn't understand, so make sure your SO has it in her hand. After an interpreter helped but left, he needed her to step back for her picture taking. His lack of patience didn't help much but she eventually got through with the help of us and other bystanders. It's the little things that may catch her off guard. If she can tag along with someone and go first it would be a big help. The plane will should have plenty of Chinese/English speakers.

My so arrived through Newark, and it was a hassle. She didn't have any problems getting through customs, but the process took two hours. Her plane from Hong Kong arrived at 3pm, and she did not emerge from the gate until 5pm. I was worried sick during the two hour wait, because I didn't know anything. In addition, the airport personnel were unable to provide any information or assistance.

So you can expect a long wait in customs if she arrives through Newark.

Edited by Cody (see edit history)