DCF or USCIS

Dear all,

I'm a USC married a Chinese in Guangzhou last Feb. I now moved to Guangzhou for my loved one, but I can't live here forever. It's been a year and I miss my parents in the states. I want him to immigrate to the US asap. So I filed I-130 for him this April. But recently I heard from friend that it's much faster to file DCF than to file with USCIS. Is it true?

I asked an immigration lawyer to handle my case in the US. He charges me $1800 just for his service fee. How much it costs to file DCF?

Here is my timeline:

4/19/05 filed I-130, G-325A

4/26/05 Received by USCIS

5/12/05 I-797C

7/13/05 generated I-864 and DS-230 as lawyer requested

7/21/05 sent I-864 and DS-230 I & II

9/10/05 still haven't heard anything from the lawyer yet. :exclaim:

By the way, what's the difference between I-797 and I-797C?

Thanks a million. :angry:

Welcome to Candle. Your friend is right about the timing. DCF is generally faster, essentially bypassing USCIS. I assume you didn't have the appropriate Chinese visa at the time you filed the I-130 and that's why you filed with USCIS. You're probably passed the point where filing for a K-3 now would speed things up.

In all honesty, if it were I, I'd probably stick it out with the current I-130 since I don't know if I could now withdraw the petition and start fresh with another I-130 filed DCF. I'd wonder if I would be really saving that much time. Maybe others who have gone through the process can give you an idea of how much longer it will take for your files to reach GZ if you stick it out with the current I-130.

As far as the I-797 and 797C, I use the rule that if it's an acknowledgement of having received something, you'll likely get the I-797; otherwise, you'll get the I-797C.

Thank you Frank and Jenny for your precious advices.

I guess what I can do is to wait for the next step from my lawyer.

But what's next after the DS-230 and I-864 are sent? My lawyer keeps telling me to wait, sigh...

Jenny, it took you about 8 months, right? May I asked which center you filed with? Mine is Vermont.

:D Welcome Aboard :D

The DCF probably would have been a little quicker, but at least your USCIS file went through Vermont, It has been the quickest and most consistant of all the service centers for quite a while. Now your file is at the NVC(National VIsa Center) in New Hampshire, you can call them at 1-603-334-0700 and get an update yourself, no need to go through the lawyer

I already paid the lawyer in full before he started the case for me. :D

I know I have to have a case number before calling the NVC, otherwise there is no way they can tell me anything about my case, but too bad, I don't even know my case number. I always thought the receipt number on the I-797C is my case number.

The number on your I-797 should be your case number, the same number is on the first I-797 you received also. When the NVC center gets your case they assign it a GUZ(Guangzhou) number. You can get that from them by giving them the number from your I-797, your husband name and birthdate.

I understand you have paid the lawyer, but it seems that sometimes the lawyers priorities are not the same as yours.

Edited by Gene (see edit history)
Thank you Gene.  I guess I have to be patient.

153062[/snapback]

:D It's tough believe me I know :D You have found a good place here for company. A bunch of caring thouhgtfull people. As a group I would venture to say the Candle has more knowledge about this process than most of the people working in it.

Gene, you're definitely right.

I'm still wondering what the next step is after I-864 and DS-230.

153068[/snapback]

Check out some of the timelines for other people doing the I-130, CR-1 process. Look for one of the active members then send them an email or a PM (private message) or better yet start a new thread asking that question, then you will get those people that will answer because they are doing it or have done it.:D

Edited by Gene (see edit history)