Need Chinese visa help...

My passport is on the way back from the Chinese Consulate with an L visa and I'm headed to China in October. I'll be living with my wife for at least 4 months(until she obtains the K3 in hand). I won't be working, just hanging with her family and probably traveling all over China. I know I can extend my L for 30 days which gets me 2 months, but how can I get it to 4 or more? My wife seems to think she can sugar coat some words to the Local PSB to extend my visa as long as I need, but is there a backup plan for this such as converting my L to a D before my 30 is up? Thanks!

Edited by Beermann (see edit history)
You can get a 12 month multiple entry travel visa (L) from any PSB in China. They usually cost around 1000 to 2000 RMB.

152612[/snapback]

Well, I thought about getting a multiple, but I have read many places(including the Chinese Embassy website) that this visa won't do any good for long stays because you have to keep leaving China every 30 days or 60 if you do your one extension...it's still like a the single-entry 30-day L except you can keep using it during a 12 month period...each entry is granted a 30-day stay...you know anything about this? :lol:

Edited by Beermann (see edit history)
Will you be close to Hong Kong? When your visa is set to expire, cross the border, find a friendly travel agent, and tell them exactly what you want. Anything is possible for a price.

152616[/snapback]

I'm gonna be in the middle of China with no airport...HK won't be too convenient for me...I've heard there are places near HK that can get you tweaked L visas for more than 30 days stay, but this isn't a viable option for me...

Yes, I was in China with my wife for about 8 months but we were close to HK and you can get a 6 to 12 months there from travel agency.You can also go to a gov. building that does visa's and get it there but cost more once they know you came from America.but it was no problem for me to get one. good luck

Dan

I have no knowledge about extending your visa, but you're kinda lucky to have such a problem. How nice it would be to be able to spend the countdown to your wife's visa with her, in China!

I'll be leaving to be with my wife for a month next week, and sure wish I could stay there until January or so (when the interview is likely to happen). Unfortunately, I still have a job . . .

Incidentally, we're planning a trip to Tibet. Any advice? The best deal we have found so far is about 9,000 RMB round trip from Chengdu for 3 days in Lhasa.

Also incidentally, a wonderful friend I met on another forum has been translating a long story I wrote about my wife and I meeting, getting married and traveling in eastern China into Chinese. We'll be meeting her in Chengdu.

Networking can be such a wonderful thing.

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)

Brent:

I currently have a 12 month multiple-entry L visa. However, each stay is for 120 days and not 30 days.

I e-mailed the the Chinese consulate in Houston and they told me to put 120 days (per stay) on the visa application and state I am staying with my wife.

If you want the details, PM me. I will find my copy of the applicaton.

Mark

Edited by mlspyl (see edit history)