Our Guangzhou Experience:

wulongtea

I posted this earlier, before the crash, so i thought i would post it again in case the information is useful to others:

===================================================

Our Guangzhou Experience:

Where we stayed:

We stayed at the Grand Palace Hotel. This hotel is right around the corner from the interview office area. Less than a 5 minute walk. Right across the street is a 7-eleven, if you want to get some light drinks or snack.

Standing in line for the Interview:

If the weather is bad, I am not sure if they make you stand outside in the rain before 8am or if they will have you stand inside. My guess is it is outside. So be prepared in case it is raining. Since it does not really matter what time you get in line, if the weather is poor, there is really no need to get there much earlier than 8am.

Around the consulate:

Across the street from the consulate area, there is a large park. If the weather is nice, this is a nice place to pass the 1.5 hrs or 2 hrs that you will need to wait.

Shopping area:

As you walk out of the consulate building, the park is right in front of you. If you walk to your left, to the next bock (about a 5-10 min walk) there is a big shopping mall, with several restaurants inside.

Directions:

- exit the consulate building

- turn left

- walk about 10 minutes to the end of the block (also end of the park)

- cross right you’ll probably see a big McDonalds sign which is located in the shopping mall

Arriving by Train:

If you are arriving to Guangzhou by train, here is how we got to the consulate building and our hotel:

- exit the train station by the taxis and bus station

- as you exit, stay on the same side of the road and just go left along the side walk

- you’ll pass by the taxi stops and the bus stops on your left

- you’ll be heading to the large park

- before getting to the park, (about 5 min from the exit of the train station) there is an under pass that walks below a waterfall, you can cross through here

- after the underpass, you can either cross the main street here, or turn right and continue walking through the park, we crossed the street here and then turned right on the other side

- continue walking along the main street and you’ll see the consulate building on your left.

- The block before the consulate building has the Grand Palace hotel here we stayed.

-

My fiancee had booked ahead of time. she was able to call and get a better rate than I could when checking though some of the online sites.

The rate we got was 390RMB or about $49, not bad for a downtown hotel, and since it was within a few minutes walking distance from the consulate offices, it was good for us.

I think you could just walk in and get a room. I did not get the sense that they were booked full. The rate you get might be different.

They also had more expensive rooms depending on the size of beds, etc. I think we just opted for the least expensive one.

It was about the same as your typical Holiday Inn in the US, similar size, etc.

good information here... thanks for asking the question....

For hotel reservations I have used http://sinohotelguide.com/ with great results. Harrison Wang will get you what you want where you want at discount rates. The hotels have told me they have a special arrangement with them. But as it is China they usually give me the manager's card and say next time call direct and we can give you the same rate. I guess they want the business but don't want to pay commission on follow up visits :unsure: