I have asked about this in the past, and still confused as to the right answer: tomorrow my husband's EA will expire, USCIS acknowledged receipt of our I-765 on July 11th, my husband is already working, and my question is: should he stop working until he gets his EAD or is it legal for him to continue working as we have applied on time for his work permit? Will his decision to continue working can affect in any way his AOS?

As memory serves, renewing EAD's is ok - you have 90 days as long as you can show proof of filing. This is for an issued EAD and does not apply to the 90 day temp for K-1's.

One of the legal beagles on britishexpats says not to worry about quitting. It's the employer's responsibility to make sure their employee is work authorized.

151897[/snapback]

I can now understand why our troubles don't end with the visa issuance, it just makes our load lighter. How can they issue a temp work authorization and not process promptly the EAD so that our SO's can continue to work in peace? With the economy as it is and the difficulty to get a decent job in these days, you have to hold to it once you finally get it. All this time I have also thought that it should be the employer's responsibility to decide if he should keep working, but....... as we approached the expiration date for the EA and checking our mailbox for the document every day without any success made me very anxious about the whole matter. Anybody has any idea on the max amount of time they can take to process the first EAD? Same as for renewing the EAD? Thank you all for your help!!! :rolleyes:

I finally could see the status for AOS and EAD in the USCIS site, they state that AOS processing will take 4 to 6 months and EAD 30 to 90 days.  Do they always keep their promises??? :cheering:

151945[/snapback]

Mari,

It took us about seven weeks from app to EA card. It came about a week after the biometrics. We filed through the Chicago lock box.

As memory serves, renewing EAD's is ok - you have 90 days as long as you can show proof of filing. This is for an issued EAD and does not apply to the 90 day temp for K-1's.

One of the legal beagles on britishexpats says not to worry about quitting. It's the employer's responsibility to make sure their employee is work authorized.

151897[/snapback]

My wife never really quit her job. She stopped for about a week after the temp K1 expired and became extremely bored... We went for her fingerprints that same week and they claimed "she was OK to work again since we are pending status and now have had fingerprints"

:lol: OK...

My wives local employer seemed to buy are legitimate excuse and just said "show us the EAD card when it arrives" Two weeks later we did and all was well.