Korean Airlines

I have flown KAL several times and always enjoyed it. Usually the 747 is about half full so you can grab a couple of seat. Ask when you check in. They have written off several 747s over the years but they have had 2 planes shot down. Fortunately, the skies are more friendly now. I had a web site where you can check airline safety records but I have lost it. They rated well or I would not have flown them.

Check how many stops you have coming home. When I flew from Pudong to Denver, I spent time in 5 airports! I never flew KAL to Shanghai, usually to Japan.

I am looking at flights to Shanghai for Sept. 8th.  One of the best prices I have found, includes flights from Atlanta to Korea on Korean Airlines.  I no nothing about them, and their record.  Anyone have any experience or knowledge about them?

Thanks,

Rob

151138[/snapback]

Korean Airlines has had 7 "events" since 1970, the last being in 1997.

In my mind, 2 of the events do not count as they took place during the old days of the cold war, and the Russians shot down 2 Korean passenger jets resulting in the loss of over 300 lives.

The remainder of events would then be 5, equivelant to Continental, and half of American or United, bearing in mind that the US Airlines flew on average 17 million more miles than Korean.

Still, Korean Airlines can be considered very safe in my opinion.

I work in aviation with Koreans, although never with KA, and find the Koreans to be absolutely anal abought aircraft maintenance and flight safety.

The only thing that is a minus (and this is in most of the Asian flight world) is the concept of flight management in the cockpit.

The American / European approach to flying the aircraft has swung around to more of a team effort. The co-pilot, or first officer is more likely to point out a problem, error, or mistake to the captain before it turns into a larger problem.

In the Asian world, the captain holds more of an authoritarian position, couple with the cultural "loss of face" issue, resulting in the other cockpit crew being less likely to point out mistakes or potential problems.

Things are rapidly changing in these regards.

The cabin crew and services rendered will leave you wondering why you would ever fly American again.

Try it - I think you'll like it.

I am looking at flights to Shanghai for Sept. 8th.  One of the best prices I have found, includes flights from Atlanta to Korea on Korean Airlines.  I no nothing about them, and their record.  Anyone have any experience or knowledge about them?

Thanks,

Rob

151138[/snapback]

Korean Airlines has had 7 "events" since 1970, the last being in 1997.

In my mind, 2 of the events do not count as they took place during the old days of the cold war, and the Russians shot down 2 Korean passenger jets resulting in the loss of over 300 lives.

The remainder of events would then be 5, equivelant to Continental, and half of American or United, bearing in mind that the US Airlines flew on average 17 million more miles than Korean.

Still, Korean Airlines can be considered very safe in my opinion.

I work in aviation with Koreans, although never with KA, and find the Koreans to be absolutely anal abought aircraft maintenance and flight safety.

The only thing that is a minus (and this is in most of the Asian flight world) is the concept of flight management in the cockpit.

The American / European approach to flying the aircraft has swung around to more of a team effort. The co-pilot, or first officer is more likely to point out a problem, error, or mistake to the captain before it turns into a larger problem.

In the Asian world, the captain holds more of an authoritarian position, couple with the cultural "loss of face" issue, resulting in the other cockpit crew being less likely to point out mistakes or potential problems.

Things are rapidly changing in these regards.

The cabin crew and services rendered will leave you wondering why you would ever fly American again.

Try it - I think you'll like it.

151147[/snapback]

thank you. Just the kind of info I was looking for! I had a feeling that if Asian work ethic and dilligence would have anything to do with their aircraft maintenance, I'd feel very safe.

I think I will go ahead and book it! Now if can just avoid those Russian missles, we'll be alright. :unsure: