Chinese superstitions

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, no, she doesn't have superstitions, although she gave me a 'good luck' dangle for my car, and plans to bring a large one for the house.

151370[/snapback]

From the Encyclopedia; "Superstition is a set of behaviors that may be faith based, or related to magical thinking, whereby the practitioner believes that the future, or the outcome of certain events, can be influenced by certain of his or her behaviors. An example is the belief that it is bad luck to wear gold and silver together.

Yeh right Randy that is not a supertition. :rolleyes: I think that was one of Newton's laws wasn't it? If you hang a thingie in a car or house it will be safe from destruction. In L.A. I see about as many Chinese thingies as Catholic thingies or Dream Catchers. Oh and then there are the real idolators who just hang a crystal from the rear view mirror. :lol:

151378[/snapback]

Also look up "decoration" while you're in there, guy

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Eating eggs before or during early pregnancy will cause her to have a girl child.  :blink:   Maybe it was me that wasn't supposed to eat eggs.  :unsure:

151979[/snapback]

Mike, She is such a cutie....I bet she is even more beautiful pregnant! Take good care of her. Her kindness shows through her eyes and her smile....

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)
didn't read through.. so hope this was not already mentioned..

Anyone try to share a pear with their SO in China ?

I was told , you don't share the pear with someone.. bad luck.. I was given my own pear...

153349[/snapback]

David ... no not covered. Any "reason" why?

WB BTW ... you're still going to post ... right ? :D

Edited by jim_julian (see edit history)

My SO believes in FengShui and "EightWords". He asked a FengShui master to observe the place before we bought a new home. The "EightWords" teller said we bring good luck to each other, and I'm his "lucky star" in making money. He likes red color because "red" brings good luck in general.

I heard Chinese people shouldn't visit others in 100 days when there is death in the family, because that would bring bad luck to others.

I think Chinese superstitious is from Chinese folk religion.

didn't read through.. so hope this was not already mentioned..

Anyone try to share a pear with their SO in China ?

I was told , you don't share the pear with someone.. bad luck.. I was given my own pear...

153349[/snapback]

Pear sounds like "li" in Chinese. Splitting a pear sounds like "separation" or "break up" in Chinese (Fun Li). Thus, it is bad luck to split a pear. Splitting an apple or other fruits are fine. Plum is also bad because it also sounds like "li".

Edited by ttlee_99 (see edit history)
My SO believes in FengShui and "EightWords".  He asked a FengShui master to observe the place before we bought a new home.  The "EightWords" teller said we bring good luck to each other, and I'm his "lucky star" in making money.  He likes red color because "red" brings good luck in general.

I heard Chinese people shouldn't visit others in 100 days when there is death in the family, because that would bring bad luck to others.

I think Chinese superstitious is from Chinese folk religion.

153357[/snapback]

I have a good Chinese friend whom I often have dim som with her and her husband. While her and her husband were at work, their home was burglarized.

When I asked her if we were still getting together to have dim som that following Saturday, she told me that she could not see me for a month, until her bad luck was gone.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

A friend of mine at work who recently went back to China for the first time in 15 years or so, told me that a new superstition was to hang a symbol upside down to mean "going to be", e.g., the upside down symbol for rich means "going to be rich".

His explanation was that the word for upside down was very similar to the word for going to be, (or something like that - I forget exactly what it was)

A friend of mine at work who recently went back to China for the first time in 15 years or so, told me that a new superstition was to hang a symbol upside down to mean "going to be", e.g., the upside down symbol for rich means "going to be rich".

His explanation was that the word for upside down was very similar to the word for going to be, (or something like that - I forget exactly what it was)

153585[/snapback]

http://www.china.org.cn/images/55785.jpg

This is nothing new.