Your Chinese name

My SO was calling me AI LI KE (EYE_LEE_KAH) when we first met and I went to Nanning for the first time. At first, I thought she was calling me ERICA and I told her that was a female version of my first name. She explained that this was my Chinese name translated.

She now calls me Eric or Laogong, sounds much better than Erica :lol:

Does anyone else know their Chinese name? Please share...

We usually do pronounce "Eric" in a way that sounds to them like "Erika", especially the Cantonese speakers.

Erica becomes Erika, drink becomes drinKA, unless you carefuuly close off the last 'k'. Leave your toungue at the roof of your mouth, and don't make that final sound that we're used to. And so on with anything ending in 'T', 'B', 'D', etc.

We don't share our Chinese nicknames outside the family (too personal).

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

For formal addressing and introduction, Yin introduces me Wei, eudai. Normal conversation between us; Honey, David or languon. Depends on situation to setting

Then on the other hand when she's PO'd! Then, my name radically changes to something different.

1) Stupid, magwa wenza.

2) Decadent, no culture American.

3) (LOL) The final names, I'm not sure about, since I can't speak Mandarian as fast as it comes out from Yin's language. I'm sure that there are some colorful adjectives and adverbs mixed in with the names for me. However, this I'm sure of is that the names must be very colorful and descriptive. (LOL)

Eric:

I got tagged with KaoShan; which I hope means "reliable man".  You never know!

What box is Lucy standing on in that photograph?  Or are you on your knees already????

Phil

150573[/snapback]

Phil,

You have met my Lucy and yes... she is standing on the bench with 2 inch heels on!

I remember you telling me on the phone when you were in Nanning that you have met all 5 feet of Lucy. That comment has become very amusing between us and we continue to get a good chuckle.

Our wives both have the spirit... to have us on our knees at will!!! (ha-ha)

Remember her cooking for you? Lucy tells me that Yun is even a better cook. I can't wait for all of us to be together and have dinner... Sure will beat Raisin Bran!

29 days--- China calender until interview

BTW... you are a very reliable man... no secret there

Edited by esun41 (see edit history)
or ji-mu ju-li-an in pinyin

150577[/snapback]

Actually, although the pinyin may be ji-mu I've never heard a mu. Usually sounds more like Jim or sometimes Jeem

150609[/snapback]

Mine sounds like AIR-ICK with a very sharp sound on the ICK part... I hope she's not telling me how she really feels... :unsure:

or ji-mu ju-li-an in pinyin

150577[/snapback]

Actually, although the pinyin may be ji-mu I've never heard a mu. Usually sounds more like Jim or sometimes Jeem

150609[/snapback]

They don't have the trailing consonants like we do - m, in this case - so they use the character for 'mu' instead. The vowel is often silent, or near silent, when used this way.

This is done even more often in Japanese, since their only consonant is 'n', and they generally don't have double consonants like 'sk'. Sky would be spelled 'su' 'ka' 'i'(three syllables), to indicate our pronounciation - they even have a different set of characters to spell foreign words in that way. Each character is generally a single consonant followed by a vowel, or just the vowel sound.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)