Is Hong Kong a country?

--- "List all the countries you have entered in the last 10 years"---

She's never left China, except for a trip to Hong Kong earlier this year. Hong Kong IS a part of China, but.....

Chinese need special travel passes to enter, and only if they are from Guangdong. I think the majortity of Chinese can only enter with official tour groups.

So, is the answer to question 9 on form DS-157:

a- none

b- Hong Kong

I assume she does not need to include China on the list.....(?)

Thanks!

Edited by xulei601 (see edit history)

Write none.

Hong Kong is part of China now. It use to be hard to go to Hong Kong and they would have to apply to go there. Only a privileged Official or business person can go to HK. Presently any Chinese can apply to go to Hong Kong. Now they're even thinking that over and in the future they might not even have to apply.

She's never left China, except for a trip to Hong Kong earlier this year. Hong Kong IS a part of China, but..... 

Chinese need special travel passes to enter, and only if they are from Guangdong. I think the majortity of Chinese can only enter with official tour groups.

a- none

b- Hong Kong

Thanks!

148525[/snapback]

If I were you, I would list it anyway, as HongKong China. Just in case the CIS and DOS reviewer happens to be a dingdong and try to find reasons and excuses. Read http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12285

HK is now a special province of China. It's difficult for mainlanders to go to HK because many would do so if given the opportunity. A stay of 5 years in HK would give rights to become HK citizen and free health care in HK is better than in China. The citizenship is a special priviledge, just as the special zones of Shanghai and Beijing. Something like a special status and some preferences given to ones with such citizenship.

This is one reason why most maids (nannies) in HK are from the Philippines or Indonesia. Since they are from other countries, they cannot get HK citizenship after only 5 years of living in HK.

I think NONE is the appropriate response. If challenged, just tell them that it is one country, regardless of special zones.

a- none

b- Hong Kong

Thanks!

148525[/snapback]

If I were you, I would list it anyway, as HongKong China. Just in case the CIS and DOS reviewer happens to be a dingdong and try to find reasons and excuses. Read http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12285

HK is now a special province of China. It's difficult for mainlanders to go to HK because many would do so if given the opportunity. A stay of 5 years in HK would give rights to become HK citizen and free health care in HK is better than in China. The citizenship is a special priviledge, just as the special zones of Shanghai and Beijing. Something like a special status and some preferences given to ones with such citizenship.

This is one reason why most maids (nannies) in HK are from the Philippines or Indonesia. Since they are from other countries, they cannot get HK citizenship after only 5 years of living in HK.

148548[/snapback]

I agree. It won't hurt.