I-765 and the new mailing address

There is a bulletin on the I-765 about new direct mail instructions (effective April 1, 2005). If you live in any of the 36 states mentioned, you are required to mail your form to their Chicago Lockbox facility.

Does anyone know if the USCIS plans to process the I-765 applications from 36 states in Chicago? And if so, there are no I-765 processing dates listed on the web for the Chicago district office.

Can anyone shed light on this?

At this time the Chicago Lockbox is strictly an initial processing point for AOS. A government contractor is receiving and performing data entry for the USCIS. The cases are then routed according to some guidelines provided by the USCIS.

I believe the AOS case numbers are officially identified with MSC numbers for the National Benefits Center in Missouri, and the cases are then sent to the appropriate local offices for processing.

This appears to be a load balancing method being attempted by the USCIS, but it will take time to see if this will actually do what they desire.

It's purpose is to 'streamline' the receipt of certain immigration applications in order to make it a more efficeint process. There will be only one place receiving the applications instead of having them mailed all over the country.

Nothing has changed in the process except the mailing address. I know the I-485 will still be processed at one's local CIS office. I'm not sure about the I-765 and I-131 but I would think the same holds true there also.

I-765 Central....... :unsure:

let's all hope that their attempt to streamline the process is successful, for the benefit of all that will endure the process.

Actually, something HAS CHANGED.

It seems that about 2-3% of all applications which go there "get lost". This we found out after it happened to us.

The post office was glad to show us how it worked...

It is sick. And the 800-no-information line certainly does not help either.

What we did was after waiting the 30 days, went to the Boston Office with the copies of everything and low and behold, things got fixed.

Remember, under law they MUST send something to you within 4 weeks (28 days).

Good Luck!!!