New document authentication rules

In my weekly look at the GUZ website I saw the following in regard to Chinese documents translated/authenticated:

1) a Chinese notary public office at city or county level must first notarize the documents;

2) The foreign affairs office (FAO) of the provincial government, which has jurisdiction over the city where the documents were notarized, must then authenticate them;

3) The Consulate can then authenticate the signature of the foreign affairs official at the provincial level.

The Consulate in Guangzhou can only authenticate the signatures of Chinese provincial-level foreign affairs officials within our consular district, which includes the provinces of Guangdong, Guangxi, Fujian and Hainan.

The Consulate does not accept requests for authentication of documents by mail. Therefore, the applicant or his designated representative must appear at the Consulate in person, with the documents to be authenticated. The fee is US$32.00 or the Renminbi equivalent per document, and must be paid in cash or in U.S. traveler’s checks.

So...as we are not in the GUZ jurisdiction does this mean all the translations must be done at the consulate? I hate to spend the money twice by having them translated/autneticated in, say, Hebei, then have to spend the same amount again in GUZ for the same services. Anyone have an interpretation of this? Thanks

Those authentication requirements you mention are only for Chinese documents you want TO USE in the USA that are required to be notarized and authenticated.

If you are in Hebei, the go to the US Embassy website to see the ACS requirements for authentication for docs to be used in the USA.

If you are talking about notarized translations of Chinese docs for submitting to the GZ Consulate for the visa applications you only need a

translation from a Chinese notarial service. And if you just need to have a Chinese doc translated to submit without being notarized, use a translation service or even someone who can do a good job in translating. If no notarizing is required then a simple translation will be accepted by the Visa Section.

This also concerns us. I hope to God I won't have to go to the embassy in Beijing just to have documents that have already been notorized and translated "Authenticated" whatever that means....

The Chinese documents that are required (Marriage, Birth, Police) were all Translated by the same office that issued the documents.

Anybody have experience?

This also concerns us. I hope to God I won't have to go to the embassy in Beijing just to have documents that have already been notorized and translated "Authenticated" whatever that means....

The Chinese documents that are required (Marriage, Birth, Police) were all Translated by the same office that issued the documents.

Anybody have experience?

145644[/snapback]

As King said, not the same thing.

No worry, you got what you need.