Widow Social Security Benefits

Are there any other benefits to being a US citizen?

I was wondering if my SO would be a recipient of my SS if I died before her. Maybe other similar financial things

139891[/snapback]

BP,

this is a great post.... why don't you start a new post with it? I think this is important and may generate other questions...

Hank

Social security benefits require a Social Security number! But are not dependent on citizenship.

139899[/snapback]

I think the point was, for his wife to secure benefits in case something happened to him.....

Social security benefits require a Social Security number! But are not dependent on citizenship.

139899[/snapback]

I think the point was, for his wife to secure benefits in case something happened to him.....

139900[/snapback]

My point also! They (the wives) do need Social Security numbers in order to receive benefits

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

In other words citizenship is not a requirement for any financial benefits you may set up for her. To collect social security benefits she must have a SS# which if she doesn't have and you should die after naming her as your beneficiary and being married she qualifies as required need would then be established.

If you are eligible for SS benefits, you (non-citizen) may receive benefits for up to 6 months after you leave the US, provided you were eligible in the first place. US citizens are not affected, except that checks may NOT be mailed to Cuba, North Korea, Cambodia, Vietnam, former Soviet Union.?

Randy, good point on where the check distribution may be restricted, so perhaps the survivor should have an account for direct deposit here in USA, with possible wiring instructions left at the banking institution for forwarding the benefits to the survivor in one of the restricted countries???

Randy, good point on where the check distribution may be restricted, so perhaps the survivor should have an account for direct deposit here in USA, with possible wiring instructions left at the banking institution for forwarding the benefits to the survivor in one of the restricted countries???

140492[/snapback]

A good place to start -

SSI for non-citizens

Another fly in the ointment... :unsure: It appears that after a USC receiving SS benefits would die, in say China. The non-citizen spouse would collect benefits for only 6 months if they did not return to the US... :o

140505[/snapback]

so choices have to be made concerning citizenship!!! this is a tough one, and will require lots of dialogue between the spouses regarding the possible options......

The USCIS website lists these reseans Permanent residence might be revoked which would end the SS benefits.

Maintaining Permanent Residence

Maintaining Permanent Residence You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

Move to another country intending to live there permanently.

Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.

Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns.

It seems late in life it might be hard to keep if returning to China.

It seems a legal residence in the U.S. and filing annual U.S. income tax might assure the benefits. The need to prove intent to live in the U.S. sounds uncomfortably like talking to GUZ.

Edited by Dan R (see edit history)
Are there any other benefits to being a US citizen?

I was wondering if my SO would be a recipient of my SS if I died before her. Maybe other similar financial things

139891[/snapback]

I know this is an important topic, but I couldn't help myself. Is it possible for your wife to be a widower (see your thread title)? ;)

It certainly sounds like there are a lot more hoops for all of us whose spouses are not US citizens or if we decide to retire to China. I'll have to give this issue a lot more thought.