Visa for travel?

will a foreign country look at our SO's passport (ie; China) and use that as a basis for travel, or will they consider the USA Visa stamp?

will a foreign country look at our SO's passport (ie; China) and use that as a basis for travel, or will they consider the USA Visa stamp?

139651[/snapback]

I think the obvious answer is that a USA visa is good only for travel to the US.

139651[/snapback]

I think the obvious answer is that a USA visa is good only for travel to the US.

139655[/snapback]

maybe I didn't explain it very well.......

Basis???

I think that other countries would, in general, not accept (or look at) a US visa in a foreign passport. Whatever their requirements are for Chinese citizens would apply.

139714[/snapback]

this was more in line with what I was looking for........ thanks

I have been wondering about this too. This might be what you are talking about, but what if my wife has a green card? Does she need a visa if we want to go to an EU country? Her sister lives in Spain, and we would like to visit in a year or two.

I have been wondering about this too. This might be what you are talking about, but what if my wife has a green card? Does she need a visa if we want to go to an EU country? Her sister lives in Spain, and we would like to visit in a year or two.

139964[/snapback]

jbray,

it appears that she will have to apply for a visa to Spain same as if she was coming from China, but she has status with you now, so it is a very interesting topic. I hope we will get more insight from those more knowledgable in this area... lots of experiences here.. hold on and lets see......

A green card is not a passport. A passport must be presented for entry to a country even if a visa is not required. The SO's passport remains P.R.C.

From the USCIS website http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm#travel

International Travel

A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

You can find more information about travel documents from "How Do I Get a Travel Document?"

Maintaining Permanent Residence

Maintaining Permanent Residence You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

Move to another country intending to live there permanently.

Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.

Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns.

Edited by Dan R (see edit history)

139964[/snapback]

The Green Card is for purposes of residency in the United States. This card is not for purposes of travel. It is like a long term visa.

When you travel to another country, you travel by your passport. This is your nationality used to determine rules for entry into another country. You will travel by your US passport, your wife will travel by her Chinese passport. So you may not be required to have a visa, where she might be required or visa-versa. The only exception to this rule is Canada. I have heard Canada allows US LPR green card holders to visit Canada without a visa.

Here is a link where I get my travel documents.

http://www.traveldocs.com/

They can get visas for both you and your wife. They work with both US citizens and US Longterm Permanent Residents to get visas to other countries.

A green card is not a passport. A passport must be presented for entry to a country even if a visa is not required. The SO's passport remains P.R.C.

International Travel

A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

You can find more information about travel documents from "How Do I Get a Travel Document?"

Maintaining Permanent Residence You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

139968[/snapback]

Dan, this is great information, and valuable in planning future endeavors... but I do have a question that I could not find answer to...

is there way around the 1 year rule, but simply returning for a short period of time and then going back to wherever?

International Travel

139968[/snapback]

Dan, this is great information, and valuable in planning future endeavors... but I do have a question that I could not find answer to...

is there way around the 1 year rule, but simply returning for a short period of time and then going back to wherever?

140006[/snapback]

Hank,

Does your wife want to live China after getting the green card? With the green card, she can stay there for 1 year (probably 6 months to be safe) and than come back to USA. After coming back to USA for a few months, she can go back again.

Since you just started your visa process, travelling with green card may change in future. So don't worry about it until your wife get her green card or CR-1 visa first. So save your questions about green card until a later time.

Edited by ttlee_99 (see edit history)

International Travel

139968[/snapback]

140006[/snapback]

Hank,

Does your wife want to live China after getting the green card? With the green card, she can stay there for 1 year (probably 6 months to be safe) and than come back to USA. After coming back to USA for a few months, she can go back again.

Since you just started your visa process, travelling with green card may change in future. So don't worry about it until your wife get her green card or CR-1 visa first. So save your questions about green card until a later time.

140041[/snapback]

Tony, My wife intends to move here as quickly as possible after the issuance of her visa.

thanks for your suggestions, I, by habit, have always tried to see out front, to better prepare myself for the possiblities, so to me, some of these questions are timely....

Hank, The only problem with looking ahead on this is that it is governed by political policies. As such it can be changed any time. Both procedures and forms can change at any political flurry.

140070[/snapback]

that's the necessity, to know current, and be aware when there is change........ damn engineering logic!!!