Vaccinations in America

Hi all,

Lizzy has already had her vaccinations on June 16th, 2005 and is wondering what other girls did when they arrived. It seems she still needs to do the tetanis shot and also the MMR. We would like to know what other girls have done.

Thanks all, she is coming very soon and I am becoming more and more excited.

Dan

This has been discussed many times recently, I'm sure someone will post some links CHECK WITH MANY CIVIL SURGEONS!!! You will get 8 different answers to the same question.

From my experience, she will probably have to get the tetanus but she can pass on the MMR if she is of child bearing age and plans to (or might already be) get pregnant.

I called a number of the civil surgeons and my wife now has her I-693 supplement. The required immunizations for her were the TD, MMR and Chicken Pox. She can skip the chicken pox if she has the blood tider test done and it shows positive for the chicken pox antibodies. The tider test runs about $30 and the shots about $160.

If she has had all the immunizations you need to take the shot record(s) to a civil surgeon for the I-693 supplement.

I stumbled across this link from the State Department about vaccinations and thought I'd post it here.

I think the only ones she would possibly need would be the tetanus/Dpt, the MMR and chicken pox if she has never had it.

New Vaccination Requirements for IV Applicants

139498[/snapback]

thanks for the link.. the last item appears new.. (influenza)...

139516[/snapback]

David: Influenza is a flu shot and only given in wintertime.

Hi,

I certainly appreciate the input and I can certainly add this thought. Lizzie got loads of shot while in Guangzhou and she explained that hte shots in America she needs to get (within 4-8 weeks) and they are the secondary part of the shot process for the MMR and Tetenis.

As for chicken pox, she seemed inclined to think she does not have to do that again in America.

I am mostly concerned about her doing her shots again so quickly, though it seems to be part 2, or another shot to get her immunization kicking, though the concern about her getting pregnant is certainly warranted.

I'll have a better idea soon, though this is mostly to prove to the government that we follow directions, because we don't have to file for adjustment of status for a good awhile now, at least two years.

Thanks

Dan

There is a second shot to the MMR because my stepdaughter had to get it for school purposes. I never heard of one for tetanus. As far as I know tetanus is a fairly simple and common shot. The doctors give you one just about every time you go to them for a cut or wound unless you can remember having one in the last 5 years.

All my wife got was the MMR and tetanus. The Civil Surgeon did do a TB skin test but no chicken pox vaccine. He just asked had she ever had the chicken pox. She said yes and that was the end of that. So, if your SO had ever had the chicken pox or a record of the vaccination, that should be good enough.

The Hepatitis B is a 3 shot series....

The booster for tetanus is only if beyond the 5 year mark!

The followup is probably for hepatitis B, it is a 3 shot series and somewhat time sensitive on the booster shots.

139613[/snapback]

Lee, sorry, I don't know how I missed your post on this, seems I gave similar info........