Household Size Question

The I-864 asks me to count the number of people living in my residence that are related to me through birth, marriage or adpotion. As a recent college grad, I am still living with my parents. Are they still to be included as part of my household, even though I don't support them?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

This appears to be one of those areas where people legitimately differ on how to define "household size". Gene's view is shared by many and even some IO's (if you believe the posts from other sites like visajourney). I am of the view that household size is not a function of dependency but rather relationship (birth, marriage, or adoption) and residency (sharing the same residence for at least 6 month). My inclination would be to include your parents but only if necessary, consider having them execute an I-864A so that their income/assets can be added to yours when you complete the I-864.

Related to you by birth is normally considered the persons family relationship to you was something that occured at their birth, which would be children.

It would be an extremly far strech to by an IO to make the claim that parents living under the same roof would qualify as "you are related to them by birth" not the other way around.

If this is a real big concern I'd recommend trying to get a clarification, whether from an attorney.

Although there have been situations involving time travelers, but I don't believe the USCIS is able to understand the theories involved. :blink:

I would only include your parents if you are using them as cosponsors. Otherwise it would be of no purpose to mention them. So I combine a bit of both advise above. :blink: With government forms you have to consider tthe purpose for which they need the information, then give only what they need to satisfy the question. There is no benefit served to giving unneeded information or information that isn't able to be substantiated.

I think the I-864 is clear in it's intent... to show persons in your household that the sponsor is in a position to support.

It asks for persons related by birth (meaning children), marriage, or adoption.

I would not include the parents.

I would only include your parents if you are using them as cosponsors. Otherwise it would be of no purpose to mention them. So I combine a bit of both advise above.  :P  With government forms you have to consider tthe purpose for which they need the information, then give only what they need to satisfy the question. There is no benefit served to giving unneeded information or information that isn't able to be substantiated.

138200[/snapback]

I pretty much agree with Dan. Don't offer any information that is not explicitly asked for.

I also think, to be sure, you should spend a half hour or so, and call the nat'l ser cen. This is a very serious, legitimate question. I'm sure once you actually talk to an individual, they can give you a correct answer.

I would only include your parents if you are using them as cosponsors. Otherwise it would be of no purpose to mention them. So I combine a bit of both advise above.  :D  With government forms you have to consider tthe purpose for which they need the information, then give only what they need to satisfy the question. There is no benefit served to giving unneeded information or information that isn't able to be substantiated.

138200[/snapback]

I pretty much agree with Dan. Don't offer any information that is not explicitly asked for.

I also think, to be sure, you should spend a half hour or so, and call the nat'l ser cen. This is a very serious, legitimate question. I'm sure once you actually talk to an individual, they can give you a correct answer.

138875[/snapback]

good suggestion. I have seen in Visa Journey that many make calls to resolve their 'household size' issue... And then they tell others what the visa officers stated for their situation.

I would consider the context of the question. It is asking for household size in relation to income for purposes of determining poverty level. If your finances are separate from your parents, then they should not be considered part of your household. Your household is everyone for whom you have financial responsibilty. Increase the household size and you increase the amount needed to be above the federal poverty level.

The only time to include your parents is if you fall below the poverty level. Then they can become co-sponsors.