Tip on Learning English

I wasn't quite sure where to place this, so I thought I'd just throw it out in here for you to chew on. Wendy had a good understanding of basic English, but would script her communications with her US/UK counterparts. Things picked-up through our daily interaction, but she pointed out her first real breakthrough: We had watched Finding Nemo together when it came out on DVD. She said that was the first movie she had ever seen in English from beginning to end. It gave her such a rush of confidence.

On some levels it makes sense. In children's movies, the plot isn't complex, and the language is simple. It's easy for someone whose second (third, fourth...) language is English to follow and not become frustrated.

Just a thought as I wait out the next 144 hours and 33 minutes :rolleyes:

Any of the Disney animations are great for learning. But I recommend regular movies so they can start to learn the lip form for sounds. Pronounciation difficulty is all lip and tongue position. Years ago I taught this at Los Angeles City College. Whatching movies on DVD allows going back when you miss words or the trend of the conversation. I had my students use a compact mirror to watch how they formed the words and match what they saw. It works great. Speakers of different native languages have different sound difficulties and this makes the accent.

Any of the Disney animations are great for learning. But I recommend regular movies so they can start to learn the lip form for sounds. Pronounciation difficulty is all lip and tongue position. Years ago I taught this at Los Angeles City College. Whatching movies on DVD allows going back when you miss words or the trend of the conversation. I had my students use a compact mirror to watch how they formed the words and match what they saw. It works great. Speakers of different native languages have different sound difficulties and this makes the accent.

137330[/snapback]

I heard the same thing about the Lip tongue connection...

but the key is practicing with someone, to get the feedback immediately...

Careful - China TV is the PAL format, ours is NTSC. They are Region 6, we are Region 1 (although Chinese DVD's seem to be Region 0 - Universal - for the most part.

"The MPEG video on a DVD is stored in digital format, but it's formatted for one of two mutually incompatible television systems: 525/60 (NTSC) or 625/50 (PAL/SECAM). Therefore, there are two kinds of DVDs: "NTSC DVDs" and "PAL DVDs." Some players only play NTSC discs, others play PAL and NTSC discs. "

There are DVD players available which have been altered to play multiple formats and/or regions - I have one that works very well including on the VCD's which are very popular over there.

VCD is roughly equivalent to VHS in quality. Watch out for format there as well.

Careful - China TV is the PAL format, ours is NTSC. They are Region 6, we are Region 1 (although Chinese DVD's seem to be Region 0 - Universal - for the most part.

"The MPEG video on a DVD is stored in digital format, but it's formatted for one of two mutually incompatible television systems: 525/60 (NTSC) or 625/50 (PAL/SECAM). Therefore, there are two kinds of DVDs: "NTSC DVDs" and "PAL DVDs." Some players only play NTSC discs, others play PAL and NTSC discs. "

There are DVD players available which have been altered to  play multiple formats and/or regions - I have one that works very well including on the VCD's which are very popular over there.

VCD is roughly equivalent to VHS in quality. Watch out for format there as well.

137460[/snapback]

A Chinese DVD player might read either format, but would output the PAL format - no good for our TV's.

Have you tried them on your equipment, David? I hope they work for you.

There are DVD players available which have been altered to  play multiple formats and/or regions - I have one that works very well including on the VCD's which are very popular over there.

137460[/snapback]

A Chinese DVD player might read either format, but would output the PAL format - no good for our TV's.

Have you tried them on your equipment, David? I hope they work for you.

137462[/snapback]

We've had a few threads on this... I've got a region free, NTSC/PAL player...

But your warning is appropriate.. it should follow any recommendation to buy DVD in china. THX ! :blink:

137460[/snapback]

VCDs shouldn't be any problem and they are easy to copy (for backup). VCDs can be played in most DVD players. However, I don't like VCDs because the picture quality is not good as DVDs.

137460[/snapback]

VCDs shouldn't be any problem and they are easy to copy (for backup). VCDs can be played in most DVD players. However, I don't like VCDs because the picture quality is not good as DVDs.

137587[/snapback]

Then play it on your home PC.