What bothers you the most...

I know that visiting China and living in China are no comparison. I don't want to sound too bitter, but some things here bother me and I am curious how others are affected as well.

For example, an early learned Chinese phrase was "bie peng wa" (be-uh pung wah) which means "don't touch me" in mandarin. I've had vendors grab my arm and try to pull me to their service whatever it may be. Some people say, "Oh, they are just trying to make money". Well, in Texas it means they're fair game for a fat lip.

Or maybe crowds. Yeah, I knew before I came that there were a lot of people here. China has completely cured my previous claustrophobia. I have however been stuck on a narrow wooden bridge during a Holiday so packed you could not raise your arms or move for over an hour, and the only "smiling faces" in the crowd was either the guy that just nabbed someone¡¯s expensive mobile, or the gay man firmly snuggled against your leg. Three nights ago I saw a crowd trying to board a last-run bus pushing women with children and elderly to the ground in hope of getting a seat. Yeah, you'll often see people give up their bus seat, but that last-runner of the night is a different story.

Maybe it's the pollution, crime, or corruption? Don't get me wrong. I love China. I don't have to be here. I choose to. But I'm curious. What bothers you the most when you are in China?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really hard to say what bothers me the most. You've mentioned several things that point out the differences between China and America. But, I will say the one non cultural thing that left a lasting impression on me from my very first trip to China was the litter. I could not believe that amount of trash. People would walk down the streets and just toss their wrappers or whatever else they didn't want. It really bothered me to see this particularly in view of my preconceived impression of China as a clean country. It's a real shame.

oh I have a list ha ha ha. I was never more proud to be an American then I was with each trip to China. I love their architecture(spelling??) However

I hate my brother in law works 7 days a week for little money.

I hated McDonals where there are no lines and everyone pushes you and the first one that gets their money pushed up gets their order taken.

I was the only one on the bus to give my seat up to women.(Especially pregnent and elderly)

I hated GZ and the luggage grabbers that grab your bags to try to make money.

I hated a women who owned a magazine stand and said noting to me about browsing through, yet not knowing it was my wife she made my wife almost cry with some dispariging remarks because she is a lower class chinese farmer.

I couldnt go swimming in anywhere except for the Hot Springs which isnt much fun in the summer lol.

I like in America when we make eye contact we say hello or nod...........even though my wife told me its not their custom I said ni hoi to everyone I saw ha ha ha.

And they made me throw away my 50 dollar book.

Other than those things I found out villiage life is something I can get used to but I world with no traffic lights and road side pollution ratings is something I cant.

China is great for a visit and I am sure if I went to Beijing or a similar city then I would feel better. God bless America.

Oh, and another thing............

We went to a grocery store and I found it strange that my wife had to lock her purse up in a box before entering but that's not what bohered me. What bothered me was while in the store, I was looking for some mouth wash that I never found but standing at the end of the aisle was a lady in a white smock keeping an eye on us. And as I move to the next aisle, she would follow and stand at the end! Now that I found a bit uncomfortable. It started to give that guilt complex feeling like I was stealing something!........ :huh:

Oh, and another thing............

We went to a grocery store and I found it strange that my wife had to lock her purse up in a box before entering but that's not what bohered me. What bothered me was while in the store, I was looking for some mouth wash that I never found but standing at the end of the aisle was a lady in a white smock keeping an eye on us. And as I move to the next aisle, she would follow and stand at the end! Now that I found a bit uncomfortable. It started to give that guilt complex feeling like I was stealing something!........ :wacko:

136746[/snapback]

After the wages go up enough I'm sure they will opt for American high tech methods of controlling shoplifting :huh: At this time it is cheaper to have watchers than install mirrors and cameras with recorders, tag everything and make you walk through the tag detector. ;)

By the way this morning a former Mayor of Beautiful Downtown Burbank was arrested for cocaine trafficing. Her boy friend was arrested for trading guns for cocaine to the gang that killed a policeman recently. Seems China isn't the only place with problems :blink:

I think the odor of toilets smelling up areas near the toilets and people talking in your face with very bad breath were my big annoyances.

I would say that at first some of the things that have already been mentioned like crowding, stares, litter, etc did bother me. But I gradually mellowed out about it all and realized that it is mostly my cultural baggage I bring to China and I just love the feel of being in China so much that I guess it overcomes anything else. I think for people who have to have everything be a certain (their) way they could find many, many problems with China. But if you can enjoy another culture on it's terms then I think you fall in love with it as I did... :huh:

Guest ShaQuaNew
I know that visiting China and living in China are no comparison. I don't want to sound too bitter, but some things here bother me and I am curious how others are affected as well.

I've had vendors grab my arm and try to pull me to their service whatever it may be. Some people say, "Oh, they are just trying to make money". Well, in Texas it means they're fair game for a fat lip.

136728[/snapback]

Very good summary of noticable differences from the US to China. Not only is it the Vendor thing, but also the beggars. I recall more than once having bowls, grabs, obstructing the path, etc., just to get something. I followed my SO's lead on this one, which was to ingore and not acknowledge.

Staring, is another. Some places one can feel like an animal in the Zoo. Having been born and raised in the US and a good deal of Continental experience, most everyone looks but then glances away once you make eye contact back. There are many in China that do not obey this rule and keep right on staring......So, I just go about scratching myself and tossing feces back....

:huh:

Guest ShaQuaNew
You guys were in L.A. and didn't stop by?  B)

136764[/snapback]

....LA, like any city surely has its beggars.....but many of them have graduated from using bowls and signs to sticking a Glock ;) in your ribs. Thankfully the crime in China is by this comparison mild. I prefer keeping one hand on my wallet while avoiding the pickpockets when there to wandering the streets of LA, New York, Philly, New Orleans, Chicago, Waycross ;) wait, where's Waycross....

:o

You guys were in L.A. and didn't stop by?  :o

136764[/snapback]

....LA, like any city surely has its beggars.....but many of them have graduated from using bowls and signs to sticking a Glock ;) in your ribs. Thankfully the crime in China is by this comparison mild. I prefer keeping one hand on my wallet while avoiding the pickpockets when there to wandering the streets of LA, New York, Philly, New Orleans, Chicago, Waycross ;) wait, where's Waycross....

:o

136779[/snapback]

Hey wait a minute... B) Chicago is not like those other too big cities...Chicago is really a safe and friendly place by comparison, just like all of the Midwest... B)

I must say I like China a lot. I think the women are beautiful(I'm glad I found one) and most people were friendly to me. Some stared really hard, which I didn't mind for a while and then I would return the stare and they would look away.

The thing I hate worst in China is the lack of rules on the road. I must say, just observing traffic is probably better than a "pacemaker".

Bikes cut off buses buses cut off people, it;s like arnarchy on the roads.

You could see people are poor there, but don't don't seem unhappy.

I also hated every public bathroom. even in the better resturants they smelled bad.

I would say that at first some of the things that have already been mentioned like crowding, stares, litter, etc did bother me. But I gradually mellowed out about it all and realized that it is mostly my cultural baggage I bring to China and I just love the feel of being in China so much that I guess it overcomes anything else. I think for people who have to have everything be a certain (their) way they could find many, many problems with China. But if you can enjoy another culture on it's terms then I think you fall in love with it as I did... B)

136760[/snapback]

This is my exact sentiment... guess I just joined a bangwagon..

Dan, can two be considered a bandwagon? ;)

I just took the attitude of , when in china; do as the chinese... and that went a long way towards not being treated as a foreign in some cases.

Yes, I went into the grosses of bathrooms, even one stated as "only for men".. Open the door and there was just a bucket :o

Got pushed and compressed on trains; grabbed and hassled to buy something; stared at constantly; darted across the street risking life and limb; rode on the back of a moped, which is almost certain death; witnessed the trash and 'recycling' methods used (people emptied dumpters on street and pulled out plastics, leaving trash for next crew to pickup).

I never viewed any of it as 'right or wrong'.. just their way of living... so I adapted to to their way.

If I had to put a finger on at least one thing... it was simply the attitude to "come,come, quickly" somewhere. I would always say, "no need to rush, no hurry". Now it's a joke. If my SO wants me she now says, "come, come.. no quickly" and laughs! ;)

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

The thing that probably bothered me the most was lack of compassion for anyone that isn't your friend or family. Disabled people on the sidewalk with MS, or no legs and obviously completely unable to work are pretty much ignored. Another thing is the perception that foreigners are rich and to be taken advantage of. Being gouged on prices or obnoxious sales people who won't take no for an answer. Otherwise I love China.