OK, I got another question for you guys - My fiancee and I are going to get married here and apply for a visa via a DCF. The question is: does it matter where we get married? She is a student currently living in Guiyang, Guizhou but her family (and permament home address) are 4 hours away in another city, Meitan. Elf seems to think we need to get married THERE and cant do it in Guiyang. I have looked over Chinese marriage law but I havent seen any a definite answer one way or the other. She says she has to go home to get her "file" i.e. family history, criminal record, etc, which sounds rational, but as far as marriage is concerned, shouldnt we be able to do it here in Guiyang? Katrina...bjjenny...anyone have a good answer for me? THANKS!

-Alec & Elf

136296[/snapback]

You need to marry in your fiancee's hometown. that is the way it works in China. You will need proof that you are single/divorced and able to marry. Support of this must be translated to Chinese and notorized. To be foolproof take "able to marry evidence" to US Conculate in China and get form from consulate that states you are "able to marry". In my case, divorced with supporting paperwork, I had to get the consulate paper work to satisfy Chinese officialdome.

Bruce

• 6 months later...
Guest pushbrk
what is a DCF ?

183615[/snapback]

Direct Consular Filing. It is for US Citizens who have actual residence in China. It's a somewhat different process but only works for those who technically qualify. You may find some of specific requirements for the marriage there, whether the rest applies to you or not.

Marriage is marriage. Visa is Visa.