Health Issue and the Visa

I won't bore you with a long story, just keep it short. But I need some help here. My fiance and I are in the middle of the K-1 visa process as many of you are experiencing. We are currently inbetween P-3 and P-4, waiting for Amy's appointment letter, which we expect later this summer or fall.

As our luck would have it, during this waiting period Amy began experiencing abdominal pains which eventually was diagnosed as cervical cancer. It appears to be in a late stage but has not spread to other parts of her body yet. She's undergone a 96 hour chemotherapy and is presently resting at home in Baoding for a few weeks until she has to return for more chemo. I've sent her some calcium and other antioxidants and alkaline minerals but they haven't arrived yet.

Of course, now the big question Amy and I have is, will the fact that's she's come down with this damned disease be grounds for refusal of the visa? What will happen at her medical exam? Cancer is not a communicable disease nor certainly a "disorder associated with harmful behavior." But is it enough to keep her out of the US?

You can imagine our stress levels at this time. I want to get her here in the States as soon as possible so she can get better treatment.

WILL AMY GET HER VISA?

Will she be ok? Will she be able to have our kids? We were planning a family...

Any ideas? What can we do? First thing's first: save Amy's life. Second: get her that precious visa.

I'm new to this site. Sorry my first posting on the board couldn't have been of a lighter nature.

Glenn

"Let us seek out some desolate shade and there weep our sad bosoms empty."

Macbeth, IV, iii

Guest ShaQuaNew
As our luck would have it, during this waiting period Amy began experiencing abdominal pains which eventually was diagnosed as cervical cancer.

Of course, now the big question Amy and I have is, will the fact that's she's come down with this damned disease be grounds for refusal of the visa? 

"Let us seek out some desolate shade and there weep our sad bosoms empty."

Macbeth, IV, iii

135445[/snapback]

Glenn,

First, my condolences for the difficulty you are both enduring now. I have seen Absolutely NOTHING listed in the Visa requirements that allows denial of entry to the US because of having Cancer. A communicable disease however has different connotations; Cancer is NOT a communicable disease.

J & L

Glenn,

I'm sorry to hear of your SOs health... Are you planning on going back to Baoding sometime? My SO is from Baoding and I'll be going back maybe in Aug. If you think that your SO would benefit from meeting another woman going through the visa process, we can get them hooked up. I also know of one other couple with SO in baoding... Send me a PM or email if you want.

Here is a starting place to see some info on the USCIS medical exam:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=medical

Adding another link:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/Medical_Exam.htm

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

Glenn,

As with the others, I cannot think that this would affect the visa process but there are many things to think about.

You will not be able to buy health insurance for her here because of the pre-existing condition. Does she work for a good company in China? My wife said that her insurance would pay 200,000 RMB for cancer treatment but it was never enough.

Generally this type of cancer requires surgery which also usually means that she cannot have kids.

Would she be happier in China at this time with family and friends that she knows?

For my last hospital stay the hospital billed $1.25 million to give you an idea of cancer treatment costs. It was high because I had

complications.

I think all of us are very glad that we are not in your shoes. I wish you both good luck and the strength that you will need to beat it.

Another reminder for all you procrastinators out there - - - - have your woman get a Pap smear----now!

Gerald

You will not be able to buy health insurance for her here because of the pre-existing condition. 

135525[/snapback]

i think you might want to check on this. i know for sure my dental coverage does cover pre-existing conditions, not sure about medical. i wouldn't immediately be discouraged by this statement... but don't go on my input alone. others correct me if i am wrong.

more importantly, i too am sorry to hear of you situation. i send you my condolences and prayers as well.

take care.

Ryan

Glenn:

Welcome. Sorry that you enter under such circumstances. My prayers are with you.

I'm researching something similar and concur with all above. Make sure that you emphasize that you will provide care for her and she will not become a financial burden upon the government.

Keep a positive attitude and pray for the best, as I am,

Phil

I fear to post this, but I feel I must. I hope I dont offend anyone but HPV is a serious threat that most people have never heard about.

HI

Im very very sorry to hear about your SO's Cervical cancer. I have done alot of research on the cause of cervical cancer and I would like to share my small amount of knowledge with those here at CFL.

In most cases, Cervical cancer is caused by a virus. HPV. HPV can be contracted in many ways, and it is an STD. A simple pap smear will not detect HPV. It must be tested for specifically with a pap smear.

There are over 100 different strains of HPV virus. About 30 of the strains have been directly linked to Cervical Cancer. ONLY women can be tested for HPV. Men CANNOT be tested for the virus. Men unknowingly become a carrier of the virus. HPV in woman can lay dormant for years, but will most generaly show up after 6 months of exposure to the virus. HPV virus in men can cause Penile cancer among other things. According to studies, China has one of the highest prevelances of HPV in the world, second only to America.

A couple that carry the same HPV virus cannot re-infect eachother. The virus will eventually become null in most cases.

Women can give birth to children if thier cervical cancer did not require removal of the cervix or if there was not too much scar tissue created during treatment. However if memory recalls, a C section delivery would likely be in order.

HPV virus can be transmitted by something as simple as a handshake.

There are many helpful websites about HPV and Cervical cancer.

My prayers are with you and your SO in hopes of a complete and fast recovery a VISA and long healthy and loving life together for the both of you "with kids" .