Question About Vaccines

It will be the Civil Surgeons decision what shots are required..

135211[/snapback]

That reply suggests that it's futile to have any shots done in china.. that is not the historical recommendation.

135227[/snapback]

Get all the shots done in China that you want to, the doctors are here and not there and not all Doctors will required the same thing... David when your fiancé gets here go to 3 or 4 Civil Surgeons and I will make a bet that all of them will require different requirements as to what they require as far as shots and exams, the age of a person will play a part too..

135231[/snapback]

yes, that seems to be the story I keep reading about. I've already told my SO that she's getting the shots in China. Then we'll deal with finding someone willing to accept that this happened. It still might take 3 or 4 visits !

Thanks for the link, David!

Carl, I agree for the K visa people- IF you have statesides medical that covers it. Also I've seen people having problems getting the medical coverage lacking a SSN #. Likewise, in our case, we would be waiting until "open season" to enroll in Dec. Effective coverage Jan. 2006. acw

135297[/snapback]

I don't know your timeline but if her interview is soon and she will be here before you can put her on the health plan then I would have them done right after interview. My company's health plan doesn't cover that so we had them done in China. As I recall it was a little less than 400 yuan. Around 50 dollars. She will get a little yellow book which she can take to a civil surgeon here in the states and get the I-693 supplimental. Some surgeons will try and tell you you have to have a whole new physical exam. Not true. Some will sign off on it for a nominal fee of 25 bucks or so. Shop around from the list of surgeons until you find one who will.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/cs/index.asp

Carl, I agree for the K visa people- IF you have statesides medical that covers it. Also I've seen people having problems getting the medical coverage lacking a SSN #. Likewise, in our case, we would be waiting until "open season" to enroll in Dec. Effective coverage Jan. 2006. acw

135297[/snapback]

bu ke qi

I'm not wanting to deal with finding out, once she is here, whether I can get her enrolled and they will cover shots. We'll just do them in China.

I don't know your timeline but if her interview is soon and she will be here before you can put her on the health plan then I would have them done right after interview. My company's health plan doesn't cover that so we had them done in China. As I recall it was a little less than 400 yuan. Around 50 dollars. She will get a little yellow book which she can take to a civil surgeon here in the states and get the I-693 supplimental. Some surgeons will try and tell you you have to have a whole new physical exam. Not true. Some will sign off on it for a nominal fee of 25 bucks or so. Shop around from the list of surgeons until you find one who will.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/cs/index.asp

135306[/snapback]

We are CR-1 therefore we had no choice but to get them here. I mentioned the basic three in the Shanghai medical post that seem ALMOST mandatory for her age group.

Despite been CR-1 and having her shots I offered up some thoughts based on what I have read about the US Civil Surgeons (AOS Forum) and the WIDE price variances and some that try the complete physical routine. Also medical coverages/enrollment periods can and do vary widely- NOT a black and white/one size fits all type of answer for non immigrants. acw

Three of the vaccines are for children (DT/DTP, HiB, Variecella), so unless she's underage, she won't need those. If she has a chicken pox scar, then even without papers, another vaccine is medically inappropriate. Hepatitus B is only given to people in a high risk lifestyle or occupation as in a streetwalker. One of them, influenza (flu shot) is only given in wintertime. Pneumococcal is only given to people 60+ years old.

That leaves tetanus and MMR.

Don't let the "civil" surgeon screw you!!!

P.S. If you tell the doctor you plan to start a family right away, then you can avoid the MMR shot also as a live vaccine is contraindicated for a pregnant or (hopefully) soon to be pregnant woman.

Here at the Shanghai International Travel Center it seemed that ALL (w/o shot records) got the TD primary, MMR and Varicella. Those 19? and under got the additional Hep. A and those 60 and over got the Pneumococcal. We compared notes with several other groups- including a number of children and two over sixty- at the International Travel Center (where the shots are determined/given in two trips here). Whether they are medically appropriate or not as Steve indicates- especially the Hep.A one- that is the standard practice over here. acw

Edited by CR1togo (see edit history)

My apologies if this has been asked / answered before:

You have to have a medical exam as part of your visa interview for a CR-1 visa. So, should you wait until that medical exam and get your vaccinations then? Or should you go somewhere on your own prior to the interview-medical exam and get the vaccinations, and just bring the record with you when you have your interview-medical exam?

Just planning for that as-yet unforeseeable day in the future...

You have to have a medical exam as part of your visa interview for a CR-1 visa.  So, should you wait until that medical exam and get your vaccinations then?  Or should you go somewhere on your own prior to the interview-medical exam and get the vaccinations, and just bring the record with you when you have your interview-medical exam?

135418[/snapback]

When you file AOS the medical exam from interview should be less than one year old. Since it is possible to run into lengthy delays and you wouldn't want to do the shots twice it makes sense to get the shots after she passes the interview. There are many places on the Island where you can walk in, get them done and be out in an hour. You will have at least one day anyway to pick up the visa at the China post.

You have to have a medical exam as part of your visa interview for a CR-1 visa.  So, should you wait until that medical exam and get your vaccinations then?  Or should you go somewhere on your own prior to the interview-medical exam and get the vaccinations, and just bring the record with you when you have your interview-medical exam?

135418[/snapback]

When you file AOS the medical exam from interview should be less than one year old. Since it is possible to run into lengthy delays and you wouldn't want to do the shots twice it makes sense to get the shots after she passes the interview. There are many places on the Island where you can walk in, get them done and be out in an hour. You will have at least one day anyway to pick up the visa at the China post.

135422[/snapback]

For CR1, the AOS is done at NVC, correct? So already done by time of interview.

SO I guess the question is, for CR1, what is the recommendation: to do vaccinations prior, during or after the medical exam??

135418[/snapback]

We explored this issue to "spread out" the vaccinations. Too many roadblocks and extra fees without having a P-4 in hand. Ultimately we just had them done in conjunction with the medical in Shanghai. For a CR/IR-1, the shots (if required by the International Care Center) will have to be completed to get the medical signed off. In other words, get P-4, go to the medical, they will direct you to the International Care Center for vaccinations, they *seem* to determine and administer the shots, do issue the travel cert and yellow international shot record, go back to the medical and get final sign off.

I will note that at least in GUZ you can use them for BOTH the medical AND vaccinations (one of two authorized medical locations)- most other locations they are seperate facilities. acw

135418[/snapback]

We explored this issue to "spread out" the vaccinations. Too many roadblocks and extra fees without having a P-4 in hand. Ultimately we just had them done in conjunction with the medical in Shanghai. For a CR/IR-1, the shots (if required by the International Care Center) will have to be completed to get the medical signed off. In other words, get P-4, go to the medical, they will direct you to the International Care Center for vaccinations, they *seem* to determine and administer the shots, do issue the travel cert and yellow international shot record, go back to the medical and get final sign off.

I will note that at least in GUZ you can use them for BOTH the medical AND vaccinations (one of two authorized medical locations)- most other locations they are seperate facilities. acw

135600[/snapback]

I'm glad you brought that up.. I have a note in the FAQ about someone having to go to two locations:

A.15.4

My wife went to the non-Shamian hospital. She was then informed that she needed to have injections done (Not sure about the requirements of these injections. She is CR1 and was told she needed them, at least the first of a set of three injections. The subsequent injections can be gotten in the US.). The only hospital that does the injections is the one on Shamian. So she had her body check at the non-Shamian hospital, and then she went to the Shamian hospital to have the injections.

So, for CR1/IR1, check ahead with the medical facility to see if they can do the vaccinations at same location...

Seems to me that you must get a minimum of shots prior to visa issuance, if you have a good HMO in USA, then have remaining shot done here. Start your own yellow book in USA