Two Responses In The Same Day

Good Morning,

I recieved the following today. Were making progress by getting attention, this however is not a victory. The final proof of sincerity

is the issued Visa. The first is from the consulate. The clearence was resubmit on Jan 4th according to record.

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thanks for your email. We have resubmitted Ms.XXXX name for clearances

and are awaiting for a response. Once the response comes and her visa can be issued, we will notify her.

Immigrant Visa Unit

The second is from Maura Harty, it's not a form letter.

Dear Mr. XXXX:

Thank you for your message. I deeply regret the delay in visa processing

that has caused you such consternation. In response to this problem during

the approximately two months that I have been in this job, I have sent

additional personnel to Guangzhou to help process the backlog more quickly.We have also worked with computer systems people here at State as well as at the other government agencies that do name checks and upon which we reply. We are making progress, but it is slower than all of us would like. Please know that this is a subject I review each and every day to make sure that our determinatin to address this problem never flags. I hope this background is helpful to you.

Sincerely,

Maura Harty

The second is from Maura Harty, it's not a form letter.

Dear Mr. XXXX:

Thank you for your message. I deeply regret the delay in visa processing

that has caused you such consternation. In response to this problem during

the approximately two months that I have been in this job, I have sent

additional personnel to Guangzhou to help process the backlog more quickly.We have also worked with computer systems people here at State as well as at the other government agencies that do name checks and upon which we reply. We are making progress, but it is slower than all of us would like. Please know that this is a subject I review each and every day to make sure that our determinatin to address this problem never flags. I hope this background is helpful to you.

Sincerely,

Maura Harty

Joseph,

The Maura Harty's letter has some spelling errors. I hope it was from you and not from her.

We want results, not more excuses from them.

All,

I pinned this post, but wanted to make sure that everyone had a chance to see it, so I am reiterating it here ...

==============================

First, I know that many people talk of the "anonymity" of the Internet. Sometimes people do not feel accountable for their actions online, since they figure "well I'm not using my real name or real email address, so I'm just an anonymous entity."

This is a myth. Without launching into a computer science lecture, let me just say that someone who has some knowledge of programming and networking can trace a post back to a person and address. Several of my computer science friends in college knew how to do this. I am confident that any government agency can easily do this. This is why before I post anything, I ask myself "is this something that would be appropriate for me to say aloud in a crowded public venue?"

Second, online posts do not convey context or emotion, so someone can't really tell if you are joking or being serious. Something that might be construed as a joke in one context could be construed as a threat in another. For instance, if I'm playing Madden 2003 on my Gamecube with some buddies and one of them yells a good-natured "I'M GONNA GET YOU!" I will just laugh and have more potato chips. However, if I came home late one night and found the same words "I'M GONNA GET YOU!" on a sign taped to my front door, I'm calling the police. Online posts really do not give any context to tell if one is joking or not.

All that being said, I will not be going through everyone's posts and trying to remove statements or jokes that could be misconstrued. I do not feel it is my place to do so. However, I do hope that everyone will keep in mind what I have said and please, please be thoughtful before posting.