To add a little bit to what Dan_R said, the part of the form that talks about needing a report for every place that she has lived since she was 16, is not "China Spacific". It says the same thing in every country. In some countries there is no means to even get a police report. In those countries, the consulate doesn't require it. But, the iritating thing is they never tell the people that it isn't required for "X" country. So, those poor people spend a lot of time and energy trying to figure out what to do about this form that they can't get (not knowing that it isn't required in their situation)... Well, for us, it is required, but like everyone has said, just make sure it says that it is for all of China and you will be OK.

I must say, if it wasn't for this forum, I think a lot of us wouldn't have a clue what to do... I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew
One police report for ALL of China...  not separate ones. Just make sure it is stated as for ALL of China.

Nothing needed for her stay in US.. that is done during namechecks...

134086[/snapback]

David,

all directions indicate that the Chinese Beneficiary must have police reports from each city of residence, more than six months, since age 16. Many say that unlike the US, many cities are not networked to one central location, so it's incumbant upon the Chinese Beneficiary to obtain reports from each of these cities of residence, accompanied by the appropriate certified English Translation.

If this is not true, perhaps you can help me and others better understand the discrepancy....thanks...

J & L

In China, Japan and Korea the family registration system is used. It contains all personal data from birth to death and is kept at your hometown. This is where the notorial information is taken from to meet the visa information request. There is only one source unlike the U.S. where it is disjointed and information can be left anywhere you have been during your lifetime. In the U.S. they are still linking this information and it is nowhere as complete as the Asian countries that have done this for hundreds of years. Us USCs in our 40s & 50s have history that has not been put on computer so to provide the documents needed for our SOs would be impossible.

For Chinese born before 1970's there may be many records missing but the notary can create the document from information provided.

Because of this difference between the U.S. and Asian countries in personal data maintenance there is often confusion about what is needed by the USC. Leave it to your SO. They know what is meant by these documents. In China only one source is needed for documentation no matter where or how many places the SO has lived.

134610[/snapback]

Thanks Goat, I will make sure she reads your quote.

134720[/snapback]

My Fiancee went to place in Beijing today and they told her the are able to give her a report stating that she does not have any criminal record in China. She will go back next week to pick it up. She said she had to pay extra because she had to pay back money to maintain her personal file, not sure what that was about. But it seems she will get the needed police report

Great news! This topic seems to cause so much sweat and stress between the petitioner and beneficiary. Usually, in the end, it is just like this, one letter.

And I'll let you know how my SOs attempts go, as she is trying to do it this week, with the single cert and birth cert as well...

Guest ShaQuaNew
This topic seems to cause so much sweat and stress between the petitioner and beneficiary. Usually, in the end, it is just like this, one letter.

135395[/snapback]

Yes, the whole Visa process takes a lot of work and effort. I'm sure all of us simply want our SO to get here as quickly and painlessly as possible.

My concern happens in reading the requirements for the Police report, which states history from age 16 from all places lived for six months or more.

My SO aleady has a notarized Police certificate, which has been translated to English by a certified translator. Perhaps this is all we need? My concern is that the certificate may be viewed as being applicable only to her current city of residence. Despite one of the previous posts that indicated a deficiency in the US police documentation system, to the contrary, the US system enables a police officer in any US city to enter a name, or other search snippet to retrieve the entire police history.

I've heard some say that China is getting there, but has yet to link all small town information into it's national database.

No one wants a surprise at an interview or other stage that requests additional information that could have been obtained during the early stages of the process.

J & L

This topic seems to cause so much sweat and stress between the petitioner and beneficiary.   Usually, in the end, it is just like this, one letter.

135395[/snapback]

Yes, the whole Visa process takes a lot of work and effort. I'm sure all of us simply want our SO to get here as quickly and painlessly as possible.

My concern happens in reading the requirements for the Police report, which states history from age 16 from all places lived for six months or more.

My SO aleady has a notarized Police certificate, which has been translated to English by a certified translator. Perhaps this is all we need? My concern is that the certificate may be viewed as being applicable only to her current city of residence. Despite one of the previous posts that indicated a deficiency in the US police documentation system, to the contrary, the US system enables a police officer in any US city to enter a name, or other search snippet to retrieve the entire police history.

I've heard some say that China is getting there, but has yet to link all small town information into it's national database.

No one wants a surprise at an interview or other stage that requests additional information that could have been obtained during the early stages of the process.

J & L

135399[/snapback]

Don't get caught up in the wording on this one... one should do it.

Most places can give it as one for all of China. I think it is more nationally linked than most think.

The only issue I see with yours is that you might of gotten it too early in your process. I would recommend you get another one closer to the interview, and also ask for language that states no record 'in China'...

Actually the reading of the rule is quite specific. The problem is the Chinese system of Hukou. Many people who go to work and live in other cities can't or don't register their Hukou there. I am a little fuzzy on this but the gist of the matter is they are technically not legal to live and work there the local police often times won't give them a police report since they legally don't live there. I think the consulate is aware of this and I doubt they would be able to check it anyway. Do your best to get police reports where you can and if you can't don't sweat it too much as long as you have at least one.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Do your best to get police reports where you can and if you can't don't sweat it too much as long as you have at least one.

135429[/snapback]

Right. I do agree. There are no perfect systems for proving that someone is NOT a police risk after they enter the US. Clearly there is some sort of system in place that I suspect is the reason is takes so LONG to get a Visa for our loved ones in China.

While my SO now has the police report that states NO criminal record from Age 16, translated to english and notarized, we will indeed get updated copies toward to end of this process. I wonder if anyone has been denied a Visa for not having clear and complete police records from age 16 onward.

Somewhere behind those locked doors in the FBI and Homeland Security, they are making the subjective decision to let the Chinese SO into the US, or dig deeper. One has to believe that a clean report by the Chinese government is not the guiding light to acceptance or denial. Bottom line is, when the US gets pissed at the immigrant, or Chinese government, that's when they always ask for more documents

J & L

I wouldn't read too much into this step and worry about stories of where the FBI is possibly lurking..

I recall only one issue with the police cert.. and that it was too old.

Since the papers are brought to the medical exam, they will look over all the papers. If something is not right, you will know at that point... they will not put into the envelope something that is wrong or expired.

THey will inform you that something in the paperwork is not right and you will go take care of that before they will put the envelope together... meaning, you'll do your exam and during the time you have to wait for it, you take care of any issues and bring back corrections to them.

Guest ShaQuaNew
I wouldn't read too much into this step and worry about stories of where the FBI is possibly lurking.. 

135443[/snapback]

Well, either the applicant is required to provide police reports from the age 16, of all cities lived for six months or more or NOT. I'm hearing a good deal of feedback here that many have in fact NOT been required to obtain the detailed evidence that's stipulated by the USCIS. Now, if the SO can simply go to their local police station, get a single clear report, notarize and translate it, cool. If that works, then fine. If only on rare occurrence one is asked to travel about in China going to each and every city lived since age 16, then obviously, that would not be a fun process.

J & L

135443[/snapback]

Well, either the applicant is required to provide police reports from the age 16, of all cities lived for six months or more or NOT. I'm hearing a good deal of feedback here that many have in fact NOT been required to obtain the detailed evidence that's stipulated by the USCIS. Now, if the SO can simply go to their local police station, get a single clear report, notarize and translate it, cool. If that works, then fine. If only on rare occurrence one is asked to travel about in China going to each and every city lived since age 16, then obviously, that would not be a fun process.

J & L

135453[/snapback]

I think this is a gray issue, not b/w... inconsistent at best... but I think we can set down a standard approach to attempt.

Based upon experiences of those already travelled down this muddy path (and one can see all the notes in the FAQ--for once I'm resisting dumping into a thread since it will probably make it more confusing) ,

I'd recommend the following:

1) Go to where the SO is registered as a resident, her hokou.

2) Ask to get a police certificate of "no criminal record" for all of China.

If you get it, your done.

If they refuse to give wording of suggesting that this is all inclusive and they tell you to get them from other locations, then you decide if you travel to those other locations and attempt to track down one.

A few have stated they did get more than one, but most state that only one can be retrieved, even though they were in more than one place, etc.

As Carl said, if your SO never registered in those other areas, there is probably no record.. and nothing to give.

I think we're making this more complicated than needed...

Guest ShaQuaNew
I'd recommend the following:

1) Go to where the SO is registered as a resident, her hokou.

2) Ask to get a police certificate of "no criminal record" for all of China.

If you get it, your done.

If they refuse to give wording of suggesting that this is all inclusive and  they tell you to get them from other locations, then you decide if you travel to those other locations and attempt to track down one.

I think we're making this more complicated than needed...

135456[/snapback]

David,

Okay, that's what I was beginning to get after all the threads here. My SO lives in Shenzhen, but was born in North China, and attended University near Bejing. Clearly it would be a major pain to go to each city for a police report.

It appears that most everyone has been successful in obtaining the properly worded police report in their current city of residence. Cool, that will save us a good deal of effort. I don't like becoming the victim of TMI (too much information). Clear language works best, especially when coming from a voice of experience.

J & L

I belive she is from Beijing, shouldn't be much different than here in Shanghai.

What I did was holding the form(filled ) from notary office to police office alone with my ID. Waited outside while them looking through my file. 15 min later, they gave a stamp on the form and a signature as well.

I then took this form alone with other materials needed to the notary office. A week later, it was done.

P.S. I think you can also check out the website they have which gives more detail about how to do it.

http://218.249.102.69/clam/do/faq?news.pag...news.showPage=2

Or, call them at:65538988

Hope it helps. :rolleyes:

Anne

A police report in China, for a chinese national, is one size fits all. It's all based on the houkou. That's fact and the only problems I have ever seen about a police report is that is was too dated (even by a few days) or the name listed on the report conflicted with the visa applicant's (transposed on the translation).

If someone wants to follow the instructions, knock yourself out. Unless you hand over a respectable bribe, you won't be able to get one from any place other than the houkou.

135556[/snapback]

That's our sentiments and experiences too.

Went to her registered hukou, requested PC, they checked the computer and gave us a paper, took it to the hukou, they prepared and translated the cert w/ wording "no criminal sanctions in China as of" date.) I believe there is even a post about someone's PC that did NOT say "in China", they were concerned yet passed the interview!

I have seen others report attempts to obtain certs from:

1) All places they have lived in China and/or;

2) try to obtain them at a hukou where they live VS. their registered Hukou.

They wasted a lot of time spinning their wheels!

Just talked to the wife also- it is believed that IF you commit a crime OUTSIDE your hukou area the PSB will report such to your hukou. They have the Chinese National ID card with that person's unique number (which also lists your original hukou) and some of the newer ID's are being digital encoded. :ph34r: acw

How long should it take for her to get the report?

I have heard mention of her "houko"??? ...

134059[/snapback]

The hukou is the city where she is registered and that is where the police report should be from.

134075[/snapback]

I'm not sure if she is registered anywhere, she lived in US for six prior to 2004 give or take a few years. So this is a little confusing.

134078[/snapback]

Better get a Police report from her place of residence in USA too it seems