I am a full time college student. The job I have is cash only. However my father is going to use his income. Should the visa be denied because I am a student and they would say I couldnt support my wife or because my father makes plenty of money should I be ok?

133809[/snapback]

my info is going to hong kong when will the packet my wife gets from Hong Kong include 2 affs of support or will I have to send one via mail?

my info is going to hong kong when will the packet my wife gets from Hong Kong include 2 affs of support or will I have to send one via mail?

133813[/snapback]

I think you will have to mail the AOS I-864 to the beneficiary. According to the Visa Office Cable below, the US consulate in HK is not listed as an alpha post like GZ. The AOS isn't processed by the NVC in these cases for IV applicants.

VOC 12-19-2000

I don't see why you should need to do the I-134. Your Father who has the qualifications would be the sponsor and you are the applicant. I would just send his with a cover letter of explanation. I am sure there are those that disagree but a affidavit of support without ability to support is of no value. To keep it simple I'd have only one sponsor in this case. This eliminates all the job and other explanations that would be brought up.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-134.pdf The government site for forms makes the required copies when printed.

I don't see why you should need to do the I-134. Your Father who has the qualifications would be the sponsor and you are the applicant. I would just send his with a cover letter of explanation. I am sure there are those that disagree but a affidavit of support without ability to support is of no value. To keep it simple I'd have only one sponsor in this case. This eliminates all the job and other explanations that would be brought up.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-134.pdf The government site for forms makes the required copies when printed.

133834[/snapback]

That I-134 is not a "fillable" form. that's why I gave Don's link.

If using a joint sponsor, I'm almost positive they have to do the Affidavit of support. The below comment is for I-864, but assume it applies to I-134.

3. Does the petitioner have to file an affidavit of support if he or she cannot meet the income requirements and there is a joint sponsor?

Yes. The law requires that the petitioner must be a sponsor and file an affidavit of support, even if he or she cannot meet the income requirements. The petitioner remains fully liable, along with the joint sponsor, for any benefits the sponsored immigrant(s) may use. The joint sponsor must file a separate affidavit of support.

No. Only for IV applicants.

For K3, an I-134 is not needed but it is highly recommended to have one at the interview. I read that somewhere, can't remember.

133848[/snapback]

The scenario here is a K3 with joint sponsor...

Previously we have stated the sponsor (petitioner) is not 'required' but recommended highly...

Taken another step, a joint sponsor approach would be to highly, highly recommend.... IMHO.

I am a full time college student. The job I have is cash only. However my father is going to use his income. Should the visa be denied because I am a student and they would say I couldnt support my wife or because my father makes plenty of money should I be ok?

133809[/snapback]

don't worry, you will get plenty of help here, these folks are great!!

A lot of that goes against logic, but that's par for the course. Again, one of the very valuable reasons for places like Candle, VJ, etc.  Reading the regs and form instructions raise more questions than they answer; it's important to get 'real' info from other's personal experiences. Also, the consulate's policies can vary considerably from the letter of the law, but still be within it.

133882[/snapback]

I found reading the regs to actually clear things up... I think the reg agrees with what your saying.. and coupled with the consulate experience we take it that much closer to what we really need to know.

As an example, the reg states the I-134 is not required but can be requested. This resolves the questions of inconsistency: Why is one person asked for a I-134 and another asked for the employer letter ?

I think the reg states this is permissible and expected to occur.

In the end, it justifies even more the "kitchen sink" approach. They can ask for most anything they want, so best to have it all with you, just in case.

And in our case for Guangzhou, the recommendations appear to be, bring:

I-134, employer letter, income tax with W2s, and bank letter is a little debatable, I know.