I am getting numb between my ears trying to figure out some of the meanings.... help....

Guest Gene

Here's a few of the top of my head:

USCIS- United States Citizenship and Immigration

NVC- National Visa Center

MSC- Missouri Service center

LIN- Nebraska Service Center

DOS- Department of State

NOA1,2- Notice of Acceptance

P-3- Package Three

P-4- Package Four

GUZ- Guangzhou

EAD- Employment Athorization Document

AOS- Adjustment of Status or Affidavit of Support

Guest ShaQuaNew
I am getting numb between my ears trying to figure out some of the meanings.... help....

I do appreciate the difficulty in dealing with this new language. As a writer, I am driven to do my best to help a reader understand just what it is that I'm saying. The audience here is however comprised of those at many levels; from the beginner (newbie), to advanced.

To begin the process of obtaining a Visa for our loved ones, one must enter the world of Government bureaucracy. Those that work in these multi-layered facilities are usually shielded from personal contact with the ones whose fate rests in their hands. These bureaucrats end up using acronyms to describe events, offices and departments, people, etc. There are seemingly endless layers in this Visa machine, that will challenge the "Petitioner" and "Beneficiary."

There are at least a few dozen things, processes, and events that one must refer to when attempting to communicate with others about this Visa process. Whether, it's asking a question, or attempting to answer one. Pity really that we must essentially learn a new language full of acronyms to chat here, but if we didn't, our messages would end up being more verbose than my rant here, and the server would crash and burn.

Good luck to you in your journey, and to be sure, just as many of us are learning Chinese, we are also learning and referencing the list of acronyms.

:greenblob:

J & L

Any abbreviations in particular?

133645[/snapback]

most specifically the ones regarding all the forms, etc...

MSC is now NBC. Also, I will add VSC for us east coasters!

NCSC- National Customer Service Center 1-800-WE-WONT-HELP... :)

IV- Immigrant Visa; NIV- Nonimmigrant Visa; CR- Conditional Resident(ce); IR- Immediate Relative; GIV- Guangzhou Immigrant Visa (unit); AR- Alien Registration (number); VO- Visa Office® RFE- Request For Evidence; POE- Port Of Entry;