Today's Action Plan: 01-30-03

May I propose the following action plan for today?

The Director of the FBI is Robert S. Mueller. I went through the DOJ telephone directory online today and it appears his number is 202-514-2121. When I get to the office later this morning, I plan to call and ask for his FAX number. If I can obtain it, I will post it later today. When asked why I am calling and why I need the FAX number, I will obviously explain the namecheck fiasco.

May I please suggest that EVERYONE do the same this morning? And if you are able to get the FAX number, please post it immediately. Then, send a letter that reads something like this:

Dear Director Mueller:

My name is ______________. I am a U.S. citizen seeking issuance of a ___ visa for my fiancee ,______________. Ms. ____'s visa was approved after her interview at the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou, China on August ____, 2002, and her case number is __________________. However, officials of the Guangzhou Consulate have informed me that this already-approved visa, which has now been awaiting issuance for 179 days, cannot be issued until Ms. ___'s security background namecheck is cleared by your agency. I have also been told the same by officials of the Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs. In summary, officials at both of those institutions have informed me that they cannot do anything else to assist my fiancee and I with issuance of this visa until your agency completes the namecheck, and notifies them that Ms. ____'s name has been cleared.

I would appreciate it if you would have a member of your staff look into this matter, and let me know the current status of Ms. _____'s namecheck.

I sincerely appreciate your time, and your consideration of this request.

Sincerely,

Please let me have your comments.

I don't have access to it here in China, but there is a publication that any major library should have in the reference section entitled The Federal Yellow Book. It will have fax numbers for government officials. You should be able to call the library and ask for the reference desk. Give them the names and titles of people you want fax numbers for and they should be willing to look them up for you. It is part of their job.