Wedding in MA

Guest ShaQuaNew

I think just about every state in the US is the same. Get a marriage license, then sign it. All you have to do is have both of your signatures witnessed by a notary public. There is no need for a minister, justice of the peace, ceremony etc. Sure, you can have all that, but to make it legal, just a notary public is all that's needed.

J & L

getting in is easy, making it work, another story....good luck

Even though I live in MA, I got married in RI in avoid the blood test.

tony.. can you explain this more? To bypass that makes something go faster, etc?

In MA, the couple have to take a blood test (to test for STD). It is not required in RI or NH. That means that I don't have to spend money going to the doctor for these tests.

tony.. can you explain this more? To bypass that makes something go faster, etc?

In MA, the couple have to take a blood test (to test for STD). It is not required in RI or NH. That means that I don't have to spend money going to the doctor for these tests.

I was just reading the pdf link earlier in the post.. did those states require the medical certificate?

I was just reading the pdf link earlier in the post.. did those states require the medical certificate?

Not in RI. We just went to the Coventry town hall and paid the license. But we still need the justice of peace (and two witnesses) to do the ceremony and prepare the paperwork. It took one week for the marriage certificate.

Even though you get the marriage license and appear before someone who is authorized to marry you, it is not official until it is registered in the county where the license was issued and the marriage performed !!

This is usualy done by the minister but it is an essential step nonetheless!!!

I believe this is true in every state. Them county recorders gotta make some money somehow . . . . . :lol:

I think every state is different. In MA/RI the officiant must file the licence with the city/town clerk's office within so many days of performing the marriage.

It seems in small, densely populated states, county government is very minimal. I could not even tell you which county I currently live in here in MA. :lol:

BTW, Welcome to CFL Barry. Where ya from in MA?

I know I am a newbie here and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I have lived in Massachusetts all my life and I thought I would try to be helpful and steer JFong988 in the right direction. The County Court Houses don't issued marriage licenses in Massachusetts. The licenses are issued by either a Town or City Clerk. Both husband and wife must appear before the clerk to obtain a license. They should have a proper ID and will pay a fee of about $20. There is a three day waiting period before you can marry, but you can obtain a waiver of the three day rule if you want to sit in a courthouse for eight housrs waiting for a District or Probate Court Judge. Effective January 28,2005, Massachusetts no longer requires a blood test or medical certificate before you can obtain the license.

Once you are married, it is the duty of the Clergy or the Justice of the Peace to complete and sign the license and return it to the city or town where it was issued. A town or city clerk also has legal authority to perform marriages. If you would like to do it a little different and don't mind paying a $25.00 fee, you can be married by anyone in Massachusetts, like a family member or friend. They can call the Governor's Office at (617) 727-5787 to obtain an application for a "one time special appointment to solemnize a marriage".

Massachusetts does have a requirement which should be of interest to K1 visa holders. If one of the couple is an immigrant, the immigrant should be in the USA for five days before applying for a marriage license.

Good luck JFong988, welcome to the Bay State!

P.S. Thanks Tony, I am in central mass, near Worcester? Are you in Bean Town?