'A' number: how many digits?

When Ying got her 'A' number, it consisted of an A followed by 8 digits.

We recently received the USCIS receipt for our AOS paperwork, and her 'A' number now consisted of the A, then 9 digits (a zero had been added at the beginning, directly following the 'A').

Since her original number was very high, beginning with 998, my guess is they had to switch to using 9 digits instead of 8, and so are making all the old 8 digits numbers 9 digits by adding a zero at the beginning, the same way my bank added zeros to older, shorter bank account numbers when they started using longer numbers.

Anybody know? We tried to call and ask, but couldn't reach a human...

When Ying got her 'A' number, it consisted of an A followed by 8 digits. 

We recently received the USCIS receipt for our AOS paperwork, and her 'A' number now consisted of the A, then 9 digits (a zero had been added at the beginning, directly following the 'A').

Since her original number was very high, beginning with 998, my guess is they had to switch to using 9 digits instead of 8, and so are making all the old 8 digits numbers 9 digits by adding a zero at the beginning, the same way my bank added zeros to older, shorter bank account numbers when they started using longer numbers.

Anybody know?  We tried to call and ask, but couldn't reach a human...

I would say you could use it either way, but since their last communication with you had the leading zero it would be a pretty safe bet to use it.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty common situation with computer generated numbers and the accepted practice is for numbers provided either way to be used. It doesn't take long for the shorter ones to filter out of the system, with the execption of the USCIS. :lol: :lol:

I do know that the zero has been around for many years now. I don't know the rhyme or reason to the numbering system, though.

When I was a welfare caseworker in Texas, we had to verify the "A-numbers" of any LPR who applied, and that zero caused problems with their automated system back then.