When in China

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know...I wondered why I never saw a pigeon in Guangzhou when I am here...until I saw one on my plate the other night. Better than chicken... :o Oh and yes...the duck feet were better than the chicken feet...

Once while visiting Nanning I commented to my wife (then fiancee) that I never see any birds there and asked her why. She said "because people eat them"

You know...I wondered why I never saw a pigeon in Guangzhou when I am here...until I saw one on my plate the other night. Better than chicken... :o Oh and yes...the duck feet were better than the chicken feet...

Once while visiting Nanning I commented to my wife (then fiancee) that I never see any birds there and asked her why. She said "because people eat them"

You know,

Come to think of it. :o

Jen asked me yesterday, we were eating some sort of small bird, I wasn't eating as much because of dealing with all of the small bones, "You no like?" :P Couldn't explain that I liked it, just too much work to eat. :P

Once while visiting Nanning I commented to my wife (then fiancee) that I never see any birds there and asked her why.   She said "because people eat them"

On one of my first dates with Wei we went walking on the Stanford campus and she commented on all of the squirrels running around there, saying that you'd never see that in China...because people are hungry.

You know...I wondered why I never saw a pigeon in Guangzhou when I am here...until I saw one on my plate the other night. Better than chicken... :D Oh and yes...the duck feet were better than the chicken feet...

You know,

Come to think of it. :o

Jen asked me yesterday, we were eating some sort of small bird, I wasn't eating as much because of dealing with all of the small bones, "You no like?" :P Couldn't explain that I liked it, just too much work to eat. :P

I got tired of eating the small fish (despite my love of eating fish).. Zixuan asked if i "no like".. i said I was more hungry after eating than before each one ! :P

She laughed hard and said, "you don't need to spit out these bones, you can swallow them " ! :(

I looked at her plate, and sure enough she was eating them !

I never thought I'd eat unpeeled shrimp whole, but at a Cantonese place down the street, they are delicious. In this part of SZ for some reason when the weather turns a little cool (November-December) "Man's Best Friend" hits the windows. I won't go there, but my SO fessed up. And in alot of diners, beef doesn't necessarily have to mean cow.

OK,

I found out. That was pigeon. :lol: So add another ont to the "I never thought I would eat that" list. Today again, Jen is batting 1000! :huh: Everything she ordered, I liked. And she even fessed up that here in GZ, she doesn't know all of the time what it is she is ordering. :blink:

You mean Squab. That is the term they use at restaurants. I love squabs.

http://www.squab.com/frame1.htm

We use the term squab for food service also. It is served in many fine restaurants and usually is very pricey along with things like quail, pheasant cornish hen and poussin. Duck is much more expensive than the cheap chicken and turkey that are the lower priced fare in the U.S. but is not as status associated as the others.

Duck is much more expensive than the cheap chicken and turkey that are the lower priced fare in the U.S. but is not as status associated as the others.

But Duck also varies dramatically in price... much higher in Beijing... I'd say 3x than Baoding...

Everything varies a lot in price by area in China. Poorer and rural areas are much cheaper for all food goods, housing and more than the big business center cities. Quite the opposite compared to the U.S. where prices are higher in poor areas for the same goods and in the place of production. Do you think they will learn this from us too?

Duck is much more expensive than the cheap chicken and turkey that are the lower priced fare in the U.S. but is not as status associated as the others.

But Duck also varies dramatically in price... much higher in Beijing... I'd say 3x than Baoding...

Everything varies a lot in price by area in China. Poorer and rural areas are much cheaper for all food goods, housing and more than the big business center cities. Quite the opposite compared to the U.S. where prices are higher in poor areas for the same goods and in the place of production. Do you think they will learn this from us too?

Supply and Demand - economics.

Ducks are expensive in Beijing is because everyone wants to eat the Peking Ducks. Also, ducks are heavier than chickens. So one duck should cost more than one chicken. In NYC, roast ducks and chickens are sold by weight (not by quantity). In Boston, roast ducks and chickens are sold by quantity (not by weight).

Quite the opposite compared to the U.S. where prices are higher in poor areas for the same goods and in the place of production. Do you think they will learn this from us too?

Dan,

Can you give us some examples? I know in California, you can get produce pretty cheap. Also, real estates are higher than Texas and other Southern States.

Can you give us some examples?  I know in California, you can get produce pretty cheap.  Also, real estates are higher than Texas and other Southern States.

Just a simple example from the midwest, say gas costs $2.03 in Kansas City you travel south 100-150 miles to the middle of no where and you will usually find it for $1.70-1.80 on the same day, now this gas is delivered from the same depot in Kansas City and costs more, must be cheaper to truck it the extra miles. :wacko:

They got the supply and demand what they desire for it...

Sorta reminds me of an aggie joke. :lol: :lol:

Can you give us some examples?  I know in California, you can get produce pretty cheap.  Also, real estates are higher than Texas and other Southern States.

Just a simple example from the midwest, say gas costs $2.03 in Kansas City you travel south 100-150 miles to the middle of no where and you will usually find it for $1.70-1.80 on the same day, now this gas is delivered from the same depot in Kansas City and costs more, must be cheaper to truck it the extra miles. :wacko:

They got the supply and demand what they desire for it...

Sorta reminds me of an aggie joke. :lol: :lol:

But Dan said prices are higher in poor areas for the same goods. I would think KC is richer than middle of nowhere.